Which OL rookies can start this year? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which OL rookies can start this year?

Ohiophinphan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It is agreed I believe that we need at least one rookie to step up and compete for a starting job on our Oline this coming season. Unless we sign Randall, we are looking for competition for Whitely at RG and St. Clair at RT. Perhaps we would even consider more competition for McKinney at C. James is a lock at LG and McIntosh will be able to press Smith at LT once he is healthy so for the moment I dismiss those two spots as "solved".

My question is which rookie Olinemen will be able to compete this year? Last year we took Smith and Whitely in the third round and started Smith only as an emergency measure. I would rather find a lineman who is truly able to line up right away.

My reading of the draft guides says the only ones capable of starting right away are:

Locks

Tackle
Robert Gallery
Shawn Andrews

Guard
Vernon Carey
Justin Smiley

Center
Jake Grove

Maybes

Tackle
Jacob Rogers
Nat Dorsey
Kelly Butler
Travelle Wharton (G also)

Guard
Chris Snee
Sean Locklear
Stephen Peterman

Center
Alex Stepanovich
Nick Leckey

Are there any others you think can start from day one? Are there any on the list you don't think can go right away?

Smiley, Snee or Carey at Guard
Gallery, Andrews at Tackle
May be Grove but its extremely tough to start at center your rookie year.

Gallery, Andrews at G, Smiley. That's it. Everybody else is a maybe.

Gallery's gone before our pick. Andrews can start, my worry is about his weight. Smiley can start at guard and so can Snee.I'm not sure about Carey but he could start ar RG or RT.

Ozzy rules!!

Snee won't start as a rookie. He's too stiff as a pass blocker to start. I believe he's going to be another Doug Brzezinski.

IMO, there are three linemen that I feel will definitely start next year. Robert Gallery will start from day one as a left tackle. Shawn Andrews will start from day one as either a right tackle or a right guard. Justin Smiley will start from day one as a left or right guard.

Then, there are a few maybe players. Vernon Carey could possibly start at right guard from day one. Jake Grove will probably be moved to guard by some team and be a starter. Jacob Rogers might start for an OL needy team.

everyone is a maybe!!! No one knows if someone can start or not. They may have the ability and talent to be a starter in college but you dont know whats going to happen in pros. Some dont have the speed, some dont have the mentality, etc. etc. So im glad we are trying to figure out who could be starters but remember, nothing is for sure. ;)

I would love Grove and his additude on our o-line. Woody started at center for the pats and moved to guard. I love his versitility. Smiley or grove could be solid picks. Andrews is supposed to be a big Rt. I can not argue that pick if he can play guard as well. Dolfanreal69

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by MissMeth
everyone is a maybe!!! No one knows if someone can start or not. They may have the ability and talent to be a starter in college but you dont know whats going to happen in pros. Some dont have the speed, some dont have the mentality, etc. etc. So im glad we are trying to figure out who could be starters but remember, nothing is for sure. ;)
Damn, she's good.

Originally posted by MissMeth

I ask for football information and I get metaphysics. I feel like I'm back in seminary:lol:

Sarcasm and humor filter off..... MissMeth is right there are no true locks but I am happy to see many of you agree that beyond the first 4-5 Olineman there are serious question marks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom