Which QB will drop? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which QB will drop?

If I remember correctly - Hoge was way down on Mike Williams last year as well. He openly challenged Kiper, who I believe had Williams way up (1 or 2?) on his overall draft board. I know it's too early to say Williams is a bust, but he was disappointing last year - lots of drops.
I know Hoge analyzes quite a bit of film - maybe, despite the haircut, he knows his stuff....

Merrill Hodge is a loon. Invincable Young will be the next headache for defensive coordinators. Too much is being put into his throwing motion when actually he has a nice touch. He lays off the mustard just right on his longer throws. They wont give a damn about his throwing motion when he is hitting recievers in stride. The biggest problem for Young IMO is getting used to being under center and working from there but any smart coach would build the game around Vince and not the other way around. Young is a smart, charasmatic man who is very cool under pressure. You cant teach that. He will learn whatever is neccessary to get the job done and you can take that to the bank. He is very laid back. That spells danger to any DC in the league. If Young were to fall to us, and Saban didnt pick him, I would hate Saban for the rest of my days.

miamitd13 said:
If I remember correctly - Hoge was way down on Mike Williams last year as well. He openly challenged Kiper, who I believe had Williams way up (1 or 2?) on his overall draft board. I know it's too early to say Williams is a bust, but he was disappointing last year - lots of drops.
I know Hoge analyzes quite a bit of film - maybe, despite the haircut, he knows his stuff....

Just consider the team he went to and recievers rarely have good first years. I do think Kiper was overcheerleading for the guy however.

finfan54 said:
Merrill Hodge is a loon. Invincable Young will be the next headache for defensive coordinators. Too much is being put into his throwing motion when actually he has a nice touch. He lays off the mustard just right on his longer throws. They wont give a damn about his throwing motion when he is hitting recievers in stride. The biggest problem for Young IMO is getting used to being under center and working from there but any smart coach would build the game around Vince and not the other way around. Young is a smart, charasmatic man who is very cool under pressure. You cant teach that. He will learn whatever is neccessary to get the job done and you can take that to the bank. He is very laid back. That spells danger to any DC in the league. If Young were to fall to us, and Saban didnt pick him, I would hate Saban for the rest of my days.

Id put a plastic bag over my head.....

I love how people say 'He takes off and runs to much'...If they watched football they would know 95% of those are designed running plays, even on the last play of the national championship game if you watch it again, his eyes scan the whole field, and then he takes off, thats not a running QB, Its a QB that can run.

He will have to adjust to a pro style offense, but I think he is very capable, and that Texas doesnt run a pro style offense because Young cant, its more because they play to Youngs strength

He's very competitive, and charismatic and is willing to do anything to WIN

If he is there at 16 and we dont take him....I'll be wondering what saban was smoking...and whether NFL coaches take drug tests

finfan54 said:
If Young were to fall to us, and Saban didnt pick him, I would hate Saban for the rest of my days.
I'd be celebrating, or should say I will be celebrating.

I think the Saints will draft Leinart, but IMO, the status of the next two QBs depends on another QB. Honestly, I think which QB will fall actually depends on whether the Titans restructure McNair's deal. If McNair is on the roster, I believe the Titans will draft Vince Young. McNair serves as Young's mentor, and he would greatly aid in Young's transition to the league. Reports are that the Titans are actively pursuing trying to keep McNair, so it might be an indication that Young is on the way...Therefore, Cutler will not be drafted in the top 5.

I agree completely with Hoge on Vince Young. I haven't seen a qb get so overhyped since Akili Smith came out of no where to get drafted #3 in the 1999 NFL draft and he was a huge bust. I know he was a drop back passer and Young is suppose to be able to run and pass but let's look at Michael Vick. He is faster and has a stonger arm than Vince Young and so far he is average at best as an NFL qb.

Vince Young will be an NFL project and most likely never a quality starter in the NFL.

Alex22 said:
Id put a plastic bag over my head.....

I love how people say 'He takes off and runs to much'...If they watched football they would know 95% of those are designed running plays, even on the last play of the national championship game if you watch it again, his eyes scan the whole field, and then he takes off, thats not a running QB, Its a QB that can run.

He will have to adjust to a pro style offense, but I think he is very capable, and that Texas doesnt run a pro style offense because Young cant, its more because they play to Youngs strength

He's very competitive, and charismatic and is willing to do anything to WIN

If he is there at 16 and we dont take him....I'll be wondering what saban was smoking...and whether NFL coaches take drug tests

If you can play behind a center in H.S. and also in College at times...if you can take 3 or 5 step drops there...you can also in the NFL. I laugh when I hear....Young can't play in a pro-style offense...if you look at most of the QB's in the draft...only a few ever ran a pro-style offense...if thats the deciding factor...better surely select Leinart then. I also laugh when it's said he can't run like that in the NFL...as he did in college...well...I don't agree that he can't...but one has to ask...why would he have too in the first place...surely on a team like ours...he wouldn't be asked to run...unless he had to for a first down...or if he saw something wide open...with Brown, Ricky..if he isn't traded, Chambers and McMichael..and the rest...surely the Dolphins wouldn't expect him to carry the team like he has always done before. So stop worrying and be happy.

neuce said:
I agree completely with Hoge on Vince Young. I haven't seen a qb get so overhyped since Akili Smith came out of no where to get drafted #3 in the 1999 NFL draft and he was a huge bust. I know he was a drop back passer and Young is suppose to be able to run and pass but let's look at Michael Vick. He is faster and has a stonger arm than Vince Young and so far he is average at best as an NFL qb.

Vince Young will be an NFL project and most likely never a quality starter in the NFL.

Every QB in the draft will be a project...the only QB that may be closer to starting is Leinart. So if you had to pick a project...which one would you pick. The one with the most upside and talent...or one that has potential?

Thats why GM's and Headcoaches get gray hair and the big bucks.

fishypete said:
Every QB in the draft will be a project...the only QB that may be closer to starting is Leinart. So if you had to pick a project...which one would you pick. The one with the most upside and talent...or one that has potential?

Thats why GM's and Headcoaches get gray hair and the big bucks.

isn't that kind of the same thing? the big upside/talent and the one that has the most potential?regardless, if you're going to be taking a player that high overall, you gotta go with the least risky player, and one that's proved he can operate a pro-style offense to perfection over 3 years, in big games, late in big games, etc. that's why i wouldn't take a guy like young or cutler that high.

Juan Cribbs said:
isn't that kind of the same thing? the big upside/talent and the one that has the most potential?regardless, if you're going to be taking a player that high overall, you gotta go with the least risky player, and one that's proved he can operate a pro-style offense to perfection over 3 years, in big games, late in big games, etc. that's why i wouldn't take a guy like young or cutler that high.

I don't see a player so talented that he has such a high side as the same as a player who just has potential. I believe most everyone thinks that a player like Reggie Bush has a very high side to him...some believe that Young is made of the same stuff...but you wouldn't say that of Cutler or Croyle...you are going to say the have potential. If your looking for a QB that has the most experience in a pro-style offense...I agree you should take Leinart.
If your looking for a QB that has potential...I'd go with Cutler or Croyle in the second round...but if your looking for a QB that has such a high side..a guy who could change the game...that person is Young. In all of them..you get what you pay for....fully knowing their good points and bad.

finfan54 said:
If Young were to fall to us, and Saban didnt pick him, I would hate Saban for the rest of my days.

I wouldn't hate him, but I would be very, very, VERY upset.:boohoo:

neuce said:

Vick is alot better than average. Everyone hates on him because he isn't a traditional Qb, but he wins, and it's not Jay Fiedler like winning where his only job is to not get in the way, he actually helps his team win. With all the talk that Vick is soo overrated by some, I actually think he's starting to become underrated. Young has alot more size on him than Vick, which is a huge plus, IMO. Young is the biggest risk at the Qb position, but alot of people think he also has the highest upside of any Qb in the draft. I actually think Cutler is starting to be overhyped, I think he is a good player but I just don't think he's a top 10 player or the best Qb in the draft like Mike Mayock.

Back
Top Bottom