Which saftey will get canned this summer? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which saftey will get canned this summer?

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Ok, we will only carry 4 safties(that is the usuall). Lets break this down, Sammy Knight will be the SS and either Freeman or Edwards will be the FS. Meaning that the backup FS will either be Freeman or Edwards. So, we still have two other safties that will compete for the backup job behind Knight. Wooden and Akins. Sure, some of you will just say Akins will be cut because Wooden is a better Saftey, yet we will need Akins for our Special Teams. Also, don't expect them to carry 5 safties, because that just doesn't happen. So, who gets canned, Wooden or Akins?

I think we will keep 5 but they only have 3 or 4 active on sundays. We might be able to trade someone when is all said and done.

Ozzy rules!!

I doubt we cut Akins. We just signed him, we need a standout ST guy and if Andrews is drafted, we'll need the Atkins Diet.

So we have, S. Knight, A. Freeman, S. Wooden, C. Akins, A. Edwards, & Y. Bell. Plus I really get the feeling that the dolphins might be giving the safety out of Purdue (Schweigert) a really good look right now as a possible 3rd round pick if he's still on the board (the guy runs a 4.4. 40 and he's a ballhawk) If we do draft him I assume that means we have to cut or trade at least one of our safties. I guess Wooden would be the first one to get the boot either way, even though I think he just re-signed this offseason didn't he?

Shawn Wooden was the underdog in camp last year and he made the squad for his special team contributions, hes no pushover...

We brought five safeties out of camp last year. Marion, Knight, Freeman, Wooden, and Gamble. When Gamble went down we brought in the tweener Roundtree. Five safeties is not impossible. The number to watch actually is 10 DB's. We rarely exceed that number. After the first 3-4 safeties and 3-4 corners the last DB's are special teamers and sub package guys.

We always keep five safeties to start the season.

Bell, Akins, Freeman, Knight, Edwards will be our safties unless we draft one. If we do draft one that means we're not sold on Bell. We have all five of our safeties as FA's after this year. That means we will keep a guy like Bell or the draftee since they're signed beyond this year and young.

Didn't Freeman just extend for three years? Didn't Akins sign for more than one year? Also Bell would be an ERFA and could not be lost. Knight was one of two players mentioned for an extension/restructure along with Surtain so things seem to be getting fixed at S.

I thought Edwards can play SS too if Knight went down??? By the way, are we still gonna draft a safety? :goof:

Shawn Wooden is not going anywhere guys. He is the team good guy, coaches love him, and a top Special Teams player. He is always the guy in the community doing everything, Walter Payton award winner. Though he may not be a starter, he aint going anywhere. He's also a good friend, so he better not go anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom