Who are your top 5 most underrated Dolphins ever? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who are your top 5 most underrated Dolphins ever?

he was never underrated though.

i kno...i was just responding to the bashing of him. i mean there for a couple years, mabe 3, he was one of the top pass catching tight ends in the nfl. thats far better then mediocre or just plain sucking like some ppl here say.

Welker was not underrated either. His last year people were saying he was snubbed from the pro bowl when neither his recieving or return stats warrented a selection. Also wouldn't call Marion underrated. He was consistently a pro bowler for us and was making plays, it was just time for him to go (too slow).

I would have say, Nat Moore should also be included in this list of most underated dolphins. His perpormce against the Bears in 1985 was classic!

Most underrated dolphins , interesting group of choices so far.

1-Andra Franklin third in NFL in rushing during strike shortened 1982 NFL season. would have been a bright star if not for the injuries.

2-Terry Kirby another player that was on the rise that got curtailed by injuries. Got injured in his second season as he was becoming a star and was never the same but was still a productive NFL player. As a rookie had 75 receptions at 11 yards a catch.

3-Ed Newman G- Never mentioned as one our best olinemen but was a 4 time probowler. Great player on our line from 73 to 84.

4-Nat Moore Wr- In another era he might have been a hall of famer. Guy had great hands and made plays.

5-Tony Nathen RB- Great receiver who made plays out of backfield. would have had a much better career supporting better runningbacks.

i liked Oliver and his big play ability, but his part in Olivadotti's copiously porous defense precludes him from being on my list. Sure he might intercept 5 passes a year, but how many times did we see him have James Lofton or Al Toon run past him, or see Rob Moore make a big play in his face.

Also, being a pro-bowler should eliminate someone from "most underrated" contest, although it is possible for a pro-bowler to be generally underrated of course (ie. Fryar and Timbo)

just some names that pop into my head:

1. McDuffie
2. Parmalee
3. Gardener
4. Jeff Cross (did make the probowl in '90 though, but was a 9th rounder)
5. Kirby

eh i didnt have the privaledge of watching the phins before the 90's... but i'll throw a few out there...

Irving Fryar
Bernie Parmalee
Sammy Knight
Brent Smith
Troy Drayton

Brent Smith is a good one

Brent Smith was a very underated OL man that we kept putting in there because we could not ever find someone better. Then he was almost dominant when healthy. He was just injured alot in the end and we could not count on him playing.

i kno...i was just responding to the bashing of him. i mean there for a couple years, mabe 3, he was one of the top pass catching tight ends in the nfl. thats far better then mediocre or just plain sucking like some ppl here say.

I agree 100% with his first couple seasons, he made some remarkable plays
with a ability to get alot of yards after the catch. I think everyones point here is that his play if memory serves me right diminished greatly right after he recieved his big contract. Making him overrated and never living up to
his potentual.

QB Don Strock
RB Tony Nathan
FB Andra Franklin
WR OJ McDuffie
WR Duriel Harris
TE Bruce Hardy
LT Jon Giesler
LG Jamie Nails
C Tim Ruddy
RG Ed Newman
RT Eric Laakso

DE Bill Stanfill
NT Bob Baumhower
DE Doug Betters
OLB Bob Brudzinski
ILB Mark Brown
ILB Ernie Rhone
OLB Larry Gordon
CB Tim Foley
CB Don McNeal
S Brock Marion
S Yeremiah Bell

Greenwood I thought was neither over or underrated. Average player who more often dissappointed me.
Bernie Parmalee comes to mind first..... lots of good names mentioned. Drayton and Gadsden etc.

Calvin jackson was pretty decent if I remember correctly

QB Don Strock
RB Tony Nathan
FB Andra Franklin
WR OJ McDuffie
WR Duriel Harris
TE Bruce Hardy
LT Jon Giesler
LG Jamie Nails
C Tim Ruddy
RG Ed Newman
RT Eric Laakso

DE Bill Stanfill
NT Bob Baumhower
DE Doug Betters
OLB Bob Brudzinski
ILB Mark Brown
ILB Ernie Rhone
OLB Larry Gordon
CB Tim Foley
CB Don McNeal
S Brock Marion
S Yeremiah Bell
Real nice job!:hi5:

Great post. Really got me thinking and I'm sure I've missed a few. Anyway, here's my list (no particular order):

Roy Foster
Jon Geisler (sp)
Ed Newman
Nat Moore
Vern Den Herder

I liked Louis Oliver, but I think he was actually a little overrated in that he didn't cover very well. Did make big plays, though.

shouldnt some of you guys focus more on the people responsible for mcmichael's downfall because he to endure the wanny factor then he 6 different qbs. there is no way in hell a player can succeeed when you have some dimwitts at the offensive coordinator position.
randy made some of the biggest plays that a te in the nfl could make and he was good in college.
the reason i am defending the randyman is that he was handcuffed by the hc and changing hc's and qb's hurt him and chambers both so I am a big fan of mcmichael and chambers.

now here are 10 underrated players.
1. chris chambers
2 Jim Jensen
3 Bryan Cox
4 shawn Wooden
5 Patrick surtain
6 Lamar Thomas
7 Bob Greise
8 Guss Ferrotte
9 Hunter Goodwin
10 Earl Morrall

Back