who cares if all these qbs are moving up. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

who cares if all these qbs are moving up.

cowtowndick said:
i'm curious - so if you're an idiot to jump on one of the big 3 qb's, because they won't contribute for two years, a) how long will it take a qb drafted in the later rounds to contribute, and b) what do you see happening at our qb position for the next couple of years?

I'm going to look at this a bit differently than either of you, I think. I'm generally a believer in avoiding using high draft picks on QBs. I don't think it automatically makes you an "idiot", but I think it's very rarely the best move for the team over the long run. Why? If you're picking in the top 5, you have a horrible team likely lacking in protection and offensive weapons (and that's not even considering the defensive side of the ball). Drafting that 'sure thing' QB eats up a ton of cash, and don't forget this guy now has no knowledge of a compicated system...that lacks any protection or offensive weapons. Oh, and he's being introduced to a new, faster league. This is a recipe for failure - at the very least for the first few seasons, possibly much longer if the front office and coaching staff are not up to the challenge of restructuring the team (and let's face it, many terrible teams have terrible organizations).

Now, for the Dolphins. We are fortunate not to be in this situation. I fully believe that a QB drafted in the later rounds can be fully as productive in the same ammount of time learning behind a veteran QB in a solid organization as the #1 pick who learns by being pounded by NFL defenses on a weekly basis. And of course there is far less risk of injury to your QB of the future - just ask the Jets and Bears about the fragility of their savior QBs.

If D'Brick fell to the Fins, I'ld grab him. Make a grab for Croyle in the 2nd.

Neither will happend

It would flat out idiotic to even suggest Brick would fall out of the top 5 after the week he's had. He was a man among boys out there.

Back
Top Bottom