who goes and who stays | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

who goes and who stays

ladeback

Lurking
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
ok ok...i'm brand new to this board and this is my first message... i'd like to talk about the article on finheaven.com about who stays and who goes... ok, to start, i'm only 23 years old, but i've been watching the dolphins religiously since i was 10, so that's 13 years...more than half my life... so u know that i've never seen this team go to the superbowl...closest was in '92 when they went 11-5 and crushed a then HOT san diego 31-00...got to play at home for the afc championship, and proceeded to lose 29-10...oh well, they'll be back soon, right? blah... anyway, i've been though all the hurt of bein good and not good enough..just like all u people... so, lets get back to the subject...

about who stays and who goes... i was just astonished at the long list of players that this guy thinks should go... i mean, sure it didn't even look like we should have been on the same field with baltimore...let alone a 2.5 favorite here in vegas (ridiculous) but man, give a couple guys a break... i agree that lamar smith should go even though the O line was killed with injuries...he ran like he was scared, and u just CAN'T do that when ur a power back! i saw holes he should have hit and he managed to get hit by a lineman that wouldn't have touched him last year...terrible.. it was like wasting downs giving the guy the ball...a 2.9 yard average and only a couple 100 yard games...c'mon! bye lamar. jj johnson is a waste of money, hunter goodwin is practically invisible... sure he's just a blocker...but BLOCK... and at least get 15 catches in a season...i mean, he was nothing. ray lucas...i think he can go...this whole goaline package with him is a joke...just messed up the chemistry...did anyone like that crap? now, lets get to the guys he thinks should go that i just plainly disagree with... starting with the ridiculous ones. brock marion should go? ummm...this guy got afc defender of the month in dec with quite a few picks and tackles, not to mention the 2 returned for td's...bowens to go? no...when u get bowens and gardener (his damn back) together, that's a great DT duo...bowens had his hands full without his partner and that's not his fault...he played well even though we were so hurt by not being able to stop the run...tim can't do that on his own. mixon gone? i don't think so. scott mcgarrahan gone? ok...lets get rid of our best special teamer when this team depends a lot on special teams...that makes a lot of sense...please....he's our larry izzo now and we're lucky to have picked him up. also twan russel is a great special teamer and an ok backup if need be. brent smith gone? i think not... the man coulda made one helluva difference at LT which we all know was TERRIBLE. he also mentioned to get rid of gadsden...man, we all know he's not a burner, but he's a great posession receiver, and with mcduffie probably not comin back, we'll pay for letting him go...the mans just got great hands and with chambers a year older and wiser and better, gadsden will be a nice compliment. now on to the one that many love to hate, and i'm just not one of them... jay fiedler.... i say we stick with this guy...who r we gonna get? i mean, fiedler made some bad decisions and all, but he's ONLY a 2nd year starter... compare him to other 2 year starters and u'll see what i mean. he's just not that bad and he moves well...if we had a running game, he'd be MUCH better. when he's on he's really lookin good. when we're in obivious passing downs, he's not that good, but that's more our receivers... james mcknight was a real disappointment this season and he looks and plays soft... he may be fast, but when u fumble the ball when u get hit, ummm...that's just bein weak...not tough at all..

THE bright spot this season which i'm sure u'll all agree with me, is rookie chris chambers... as long as this guy remains pretty healthy, he's gonna be a stud in this league and have MANY years of flash and dash that will make us all cheer... i love this guy...we REALLY needed him and we'll NEED him for years to come...it would have made a real difference havin him play in that baltimore game... well, that's it... lemmie know what u think whatever it may be!!

jake

gotta agree that Robert was a little too harsh, but by much. Jay is a UFA and Bowens will have to re-negotiate so it is hard to say we are getting rid of them since they can leave if they want as well as mcgarrahan and Mixon -not to mention Turk. OG is someone we need to rely less on, but we should cut McDrops and that means needing to replace him.

Since Walker is leaving, we should try to keep Brock - he's been solid all year or else he would not be an alternate pro bowler.

Fact is - we know these guys are not takin us anywhere to far so it is hard to argue with the overall philosophy that we need big changes to get us out of this playoff / jets losing streak funk.

i agree with ya... walker didn't do much after last season anyway... who will be our new SS?

Freeman hopefully - I like him - he seems smart and tough

i like aurturo freeman too...he stepped ina few times a did a good job this year... what do u think about jamar fletcher and terry cousin...fletcher nickle back and cousin dime?

Cousins is an UFA - so if he wants back cheap the position is all his. Cousins was as good as any other teams nickel back, except for NE (T-Buck).

Originally posted by ladeback
ok ok...i'm brand new to this board and this is my first message... i'd like to talk about the article on finheaven.com about who stays and who goes...

First off Jake welcome to the land of the posters.. Hope your stay here is fun and all the like.

As for Robert's article, I can see his point of view in some cases, and I certainly can understand his frustration.. Year after year of this gets to be enough for even the most diehard of Dolphin Fans (AKA yours truly) to stomach. However it does seem like after years of going to the playoffs us the Dolphin Nation have become spoiled and our expectation level is considerably higher than that of a team such as Carolina, Atlanta or New Orleans, who if their team gets within two games of .500 its usually a call for a raise and a celebration.

As for the seemingly endless calls for the heads of Jay and Lamar, I may be alone in my thoughts but I think both are the least of our concerns.. A lot of the blame gets shifted on Jay's shoulders, some rightfully some not. Ill be one to admit, at first I couldn't stand Fiedler.. I couldn't stand him because he was replacing the Legend, I couldn't stand him because he padded his market value throwing hail marys and 50 yard screen passes in a game that was well over by the time he made it in (The Nightmare in Jacksonville), and I couldn't stand him because he came to the Dolphins only after getting told to "Get another Job" by the Jets. My opinion of Lamar Smith at first was a tad higher, but I didn't think he would ever be much more than a third down back or someone to cover Special Teams play. However over time, my opinion of both changed and Im looking at this now from a median point view.. He does tend to make some bonehead throws (I stated this in my article Dolphinatics the other day but Ill say it again) however when it comes to work effort, what he lacks in talent he over and above makes up for it. Thing is though he is only one person.. Same goes for Lamar. Put both of them behind an O Line that can block and I guarantee you both will put up the numbers that are favorable.. An old friend of mine once said "You can have the bullets and the gun but if you don't have the holster its not going to function properly". Lost in the Cries of "Dump Lamar" is the fact that the man is the first in a long while to rush for over 1000 yards in consecutive seasons. He also has rushed for over 20 tds in his 2 years as a Dolphin. He has given some stability to a running game that was virtually non-existant just a few years ago. As for Jay, he continues to get better, and to progress in to a solid NFL QB. Is he Dan Marino? Not by a long shot. Will he ever be Dan Marino? Again, not by a long shot, but he has made the transition from the Marino years a little easier to swallow by putting up solid (not spectacular like we were used to with Dan) numbers. As said before, he's young yet so he can only get better, and with an O Line that is worth a monkeys behind, he and Smith will only get more production.

sure lamar got hit....................

a lineman. by the time he got to the line, the hole was gone. these guys couldn't hold their blocks after the initial hit!:(

Re: sure lamar got hit....................

Originally posted by dolfan06
a lineman. by the time he got to the line, the hole was gone. these guys couldn't hold their blocks after the initial hit!:(
I hope Lamar will be back at the "right" price, i.e. what he is making now about a mil, and we can concentrate on improving our O and D lines.

Re: Re: sure lamar got hit....................

Originally posted by dolphan39
I hope Lamar will be back at the "right" price, i.e. what he is making now about a mil, and we can concentrate on improving our O and D lines.

i really can't see anybody offering him a better contract than he has all ready. he didn't have a super year, i don't think it was his fault, but the numbers just weren't there. i think this 1000yd goal is vastly over-rated. 1000 yds came about when the teams played 12 games. now they have 16. you have four more games to pick up yardage, and for an average back, at 50 yds/, thats another 200 yds.:D

Re: Re: sure lamar got hit....................

Originally posted by dolphan39

I dont' know. IMHO, I hope we go after MICHAEL PITTMAN(Ariz.). He is the same build as Lamar but hits the holes like a fullback and is much faster than Lamar. Plus he is a better receiver out of the backfield.

Re: Re: Re: sure lamar got hit....................

Originally posted by FinaticalOne

I dont' know. IMHO, I hope we go after MICHAEL PITTMAN(Ariz.). He is the same build as Lamar but hits the holes like a fullback and is much faster than Lamar. Plus he is a better receiver out of the backfield.

as far as a receiver goes, he can't be any worse than McDrop!(sorry 39, had to use it, it fits so well):lol:

Back
Top Bottom