Who got the better of who in practice. Chop vs. Fashanu | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who got the better of who in practice. Chop vs. Fashanu

CONVIGLIONUS

Active Roster
Reaction score
So we have selected Chop Robinson from PennState with the 21st pick. The Jets selected Olu Fashanu Tackle from Penn State. These two must have matched up in practice. Does anyone have any insight into the battle's these two went through during practice against each other?

These two will face each other going forward for years to come

Well for starters Chop was a left Defensive End, which means he was facing Right Tackles. While I am sure they went to head to head a few times, it wasn't a natural matchup in practice for them go against each other. Which you can also see in his highlights why he didn't end up with a lot of sacks. So many plays where he beat the RT instantly and the QB had to dump the ball off quickly, in a lot of cases he still got in a clean lick too. When you're a LDE, the QB can see you coming, he wrecked a lot of plays before the play even had a chance to turn into something.....hence his All Conference and All-American accolades despite the sack total. Opposing coaches did not like him.

Last edited:
Well for starters Chop was a left Defensive End, which means he was facing Right Tackles. While I am sure they went to head to head a few times, it wasn't a natural matchup in practice for them go against each other. Which you can also see in his highlights why he didn't end up with a lot of sacks. So many plays where he beat the RT instantly and the QB had to dump the ball off quickly, in a lot of cases he still got in a clean lick too. When you're a LDE, the QB can see you coming, he wrecked a lot of plays before the play even had a chance to turn into something.....hence his All Conference and All-American accolades despite the sack total. Opposing coaches did not like him.
I disagree, one of the great things about Chop is that he’s not just left or right end, he moves the same lining up from both sides imo

Grier obviously drafted Robinson based on how he performed in practice. Because it obviously wasn’t on how he performed during games. He only had 4 sacks, 10 solo tackles, and 0 tackles for loss in 10 games for PSU last season.

Those are the stats of a 7th round draft pick or an UDFA. Not the stats of a first round draft pick, IMO. So he must have looked great in practice.

Raw numbers such as sacks do not always capture everything about a player. Yes, Chop did not get many sacks but he rated high in pressures. Looks like he has room to improve in the run stopping but I would have to compare that to other similar edge rushers.

1714271117936.png

Raw numbers such as sacks do not always capture everything about a player. Yes, Chop did not get many sacks but he rated high in pressures. Looks like he has room to improve in the run stopping but I would have to compare that to other similar edge rushers.

View attachment 169662

76.9 run defense is pretty dam good for an elite pass rusher.

Here is the thing. Fashanu is a more finished product to Chop, so when/If they went against each other, if Fashanu won against Chop, that could quickly change when Chop is able to fix his weakness.

Now If Chop looked better, well let's just say we got a very good player. Either way, there is no way to know if one, both, or neither can succeed in the NFL until we actually see them.

One story I heard, Michigan (This past season's National Champs), had to change their offense to run way more, because when they played Penn State, Chop was becoming a huge issue vs the pass.

Last edited:
Grier obviously drafted Robinson based on how he performed in practice. Because it obviously wasn’t on how he performed during games. He only had 4 sacks, 10 solo tackles, and 0 tackles for loss in 10 games for PSU last season.

Those are the stats of a 7th round draft pick or an UDFA. Not the stats of a first round draft pick, IMO. So he must have looked great in practice.

PSU vs Mich this past season check it out

Chop was a menace before he left the game the game was actually close before he left the game.

Before people slam the pick look at some game footage

Not disagreeing with you here, but Cam Wake crushed its from the left side AND racked up numbers. Im skeptical of this pick.

PSU vs Mich this past season check it out

Chop was a menace before he left the game the game was actually close before he left the game.

Before people slam the pick look at some game footage
The biggest issue I have with watching “tape” or highlights from a specific game is you see what the creator wants you to see. Michigan was the best running offense in college football; running was always going to be part of their gameplan. Chop created pressure for sure, but Michigan didn’t even try to pass the ball. I would add that J.J. went 7/8 for 60 yards, so it’s not like they were having zero success passing.

I see Penn State play in person at least once a year and I see them on TV pretty much every week. Chop is not great at setting the edge vs the run. His run defense grade is more a product of his explosive athleticism allowing him to get into the back field quickly and make a tackle for loss.

To wrap this all up I will add I watched this entire game with my wife’s family who are all PSU fans. It was a very good defensive game and Michigan only had 60 passing yards. However, they had 44 rushing attempts for 227 yards and 3 TDs which allowed them to control the clock and keep PSU’s offense off the field.

Back
Top Bottom