Who got the better of who in practice. Chop vs. Fashanu | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who got the better of who in practice. Chop vs. Fashanu

Grier obviously drafted Robinson based on how he performed in practice. Because it obviously wasn’t on how he performed during games. He only had 4 sacks, 10 solo tackles, and 0 tackles for loss in 10 games for PSU last season.

Those are the stats of a 7th round draft pick or an UDFA. Not the stats of a first round draft pick, IMO. So he must have looked great in practice.
No, he probably based it on watching the games as opposed to merely going to his ESPN stats page like most on here do. He lived in the other team's backfield and just created havoc. Next step is get the QB down.

Here is the thing. Fashanu is a more finished product to Chop, so when/If they went against each other, if Fashanu won against Chop, that could quickly change when Chop is able to fix his wraknesss.

Now If Chop looked better, well let's just day we got a very good player. Either way, there is no way of know if one, both, or neither can succeed in the NFL until we actually see them.

One story I heard, Michigan (This past season's National Chmps), had to change their offense to run way more, because when they played Penn State, Chop was becoming a huge issue vs the pass.

Now that I see it I'm shocked that so many people have used that game to bash him. They clearly game planned for him and gave him a GREAT deal of attention. He didn't "disappear", he was spotlighted by their OC to take him out of the game. Double and sometimes triple covered.
I don't see anything to complain about.

The biggest issue I have with watching “tape” or highlights from a specific game is you see what the creator wants you to see. Michigan was the best running offense in college football; running was always going to be part of their gameplan. Chop created pressure for sure, but Michigan didn’t even try to pass the ball. I would add that J.J. went 7/8 for 60 yards, so it’s not like they were having zero success passing.

I see Penn State play in person at least once a year and I see them on TV pretty much every week. Chop is not great at setting the edge vs the run. His run defense grade is more a product of his explosive athleticism allowing him to get into the back field quickly and make a tackle for loss.

To wrap this all up I will add I watched this entire game with my wife’s family who are all PSU fans. It was a very good defensive game and Michigan only had 60 passing yards. However, they had 44 rushing attempts for 227 yards and 3 TDs which allowed them to control the clock and keep PSU’s offense off the field.

At what point in the game did Chop leave and what was the score at that point?

What plays were called pass vs run

Everyone knows the Tackle was abused by Chop -

PSU couldn’t move the ball at any point but a Defense TD that was called back

Grier obviously drafted Robinson based on how he performed in practice. Because it obviously wasn’t on how he performed during games. He only had 4 sacks, 10 solo tackles, and 0 tackles for loss in 10 games for PSU last season.

Those are the stats of a 7th round draft pick or an UDFA. Not the stats of a first round draft pick, IMO. So he must have looked great in practice.

And conversely, Miami’s drafted pass rushers in recent history with nice sack numbers who have gone on to be complete and total busts. No offense intended, but if it was just as simple as “draft the guy with the highest sack totals” , no GM would ever miss.

Here is the thing. Fashanu is a more finished product to Chop, so when/If they went against each other, if Fashanu won against Chop, that could quickly change when Chop is able to fix his wrakness.

Now If Chop looked better, well let's just say we got a very good player. Either way, there is no way to know if one, both, or neither can succeed in the NFL until we actually see them.

One story I heard, Michigan (This past season's National Chmps), had to change their offense to run way more, because when they played Penn State, Chop was becoming a huge issue vs the pass.

1714321996439.jpeg
Wrong.. you're constantly making long-winded posts with incorrect information.

Mo and Chop are going to be a force for our team early on as our starters heal. Then when our starters return I can see MO and Chop as rotational pass rushers, keeping all of them fresh.
Having fresh quality depth at pass rush will help avoid those late season and 4th quarter defensive collapses.

Last edited:
Here is another chart in comparison to others:
View attachment 169663
call me crazy. i am not sure this chart tells you anything beyond true pass rush win rate is highly correlated to overall pass rush win rate. the addition of the second axis does not tell you much. it also seems to suggest jaelan phillips and bradley chubb suck, as does brian burns who just got that massive contract

Sucks that Fins lost Wilkinson's heart, but McD has the culture vibing. The intangibles can take a hit like that now without deteriorating.

Plus first impressions of Chop is that he has a similar fire to Wilkinson. The pick is growing on me, and I think he'll fit perfectly.

Can't wait to see the NASCAR (I think that's what it's called) package with Chop, Mo, JP, and Chubb.

Back
Top Bottom