Who is still worried about our o-line? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who is still worried about our o-line?

TerryTate

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
This is our o-line

Wade Smith-Jeno James-Seth McKinney-???-St.Clair/McIntosh

correct me if im wrong, but isnt McIntosh out for this coming season with an injury? if we go for Vernon Carey, that will be fine, but that will involve starting a rookie on the o-line, and all rookies go through growing pains (see Bryant McKinnie, Wade Smith).

Ive also heard nothing but negative news about St. Clair, how he isnt good enough to start....

I still think bringing in Todd Steussie would do wonders for this line but now it appears that the Miami Front Office isnt interested.

We could have Dan Marino under center with Randy Moss, Torry Holt, and Terrell Owens on our team but it wont matter if our o-line is still a big ?.

What are we gonna do about this O-line that IMO is still just as bad as the 2003 line as of right now?

If McIntosh takes the full 6 months to recover (his prognosis is 4 to 6 months), he'll still be ready by the first game of the season. I don't know what day the first day of the season will be, its either September 5th or September 12th I would think, but either way unless he suffers a setback he should be ready by then so its not like he's going on Injured Reserve for a year.

The problem is if he takes the full 6 months he'll have no time to get use to RT at training camp or in preseason games. I don't know that he's ever played RT in his career since he was a converted TE in his junior and senior years. So basically he'll be rehabbing with us and getting use to the playbook that way, but he can't be depended on to start the season without any training camp or preseason experience...he's not like a 7 year veteran who has been with the team for 2 or 3 years. If that were the case I'd say he'd start immediately.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they try to stick St. Claire at guard or center in some way, whether it be signing another veteran RT or through the draft if we get Shawn Andrews somehow.

Originally posted by TerryTate
This is our o-line

Wade Smith-Jeno James-Seth McKinney-???-St.Clair/McIntosh

correct me if im wrong, but isnt McIntosh out for this coming season with an injury

Nope. 4-6 month rehab period. That would make him ready to start practicing anywhere from July 10 to September 10. Since he's only 26 and motivated, I'd bank on it being closer to July 10 than September 10.

Let's split the baby: August 10, he'd still have a month of practice to get ready for the season opener.

I wouldn't be surprised to see St. Claire moved to guard or center. There's a link on Dolfantalk to a Ram forum and the posters are saying he's not a great pass blocker, but a strong run blocker. Comments stated "there goes our goal line push". They're commenting that Martz is a dummy for not moving him inside as a guard rather than at RT.

So here's what it would look like:

Wade / James / McKinney - St. Clair / St. Clair - McKinney / McIntosh - St. Clair

Mac can play LT as well. I just DON'T KNOW how good St. Clair is because I have never paid any attention to him, but it sounds like he might be at least competent, maybe more, if he is utilized at RG. He was also an all-american 1st team at UVA as a Center so he could fill in as backup center.

It wouldn't surprise me though if they bring in one more OL though, either a pure RG or a short term fix at RT. Which ever they choose will be an early tell of what role the envision for St. Clair.

i hadnt heard that Steussie was not of interest to the front office? last night Steussie being cut was all the rage on Finheaven, with Wanny's cryptic comment about a lineman soon to be cut being referenced in a thread. what changed? would Steussie be too expensive, or seeking to long a deal? retiring? i havent read anything since then.

LT Wade Smith - ? - Sure he has a year experience. He still needs to improve vastly over last season.

LG Juno - Excellent Pick-up. 20% of the reason Davis and Foster had big years last season.

C McKinney - What can you say? The team veteran. IMO, played well last season (better than Rudy)

RG - ? - Taylor Whitley. Remember, he is this years 2nd round choice. A huge question mark.

RT - McIntosh(when/if he signs). 4-6 months recovery time puts him ready to go July-Sept. As long as he is ready to go for the last half of the season.

St Clair - Who else is going to back-up McKinney if he gets hurt?

This line has definitely gotten younger. Almost all of the new guys accel in the running game. Good news for Ricky. Bad news for J/AJ.
Would still prefer another OL through free agency (PA's Williams). Wouldn't mind Carey if picked, but that would mean both this year's first round pick and this year's second round pick were used on the exact same position. Plus, I though Carlos Joseph was just as good as Carey. Think he can be had lower in the draft.

If wade smith improves VASTLY, Miami will have a left tackle for years.

not really. I think as a whole we will either be the same or better. I think

+ LT - Smith will be bigger and stronger and more experienced
+ LG - James is an improvement over Nails
/ C - Seth....took 1/2 the snaps last year anyways
- RG - jeman/yates/whitley......probably a downgrade
/ RG - St. Clair....strong run blocker for Ricky, not so hot at pass prot, as a whole probably same performance from him as Wade (but alot cheaper)

To me, 2 positions will be definitely stronger, 2 will remain neutral and only 1 (IMO) will be a possible downgrade.

That's just my take on it. So a slightly better line is what I see unless things work out where McIntosh can play the season and St. Clair moves to RG and that would be an improvement as well.

I really don't see how the line could be much worse. Their play last year was painful to watch.

I hope this is what it looks like:

LT - Wade Smith
LG - Jeno James
C - Seth McKinney, John St. Clair
RG - Vernon Carey
RT - Damion McIntosh

We're not necessarily done with FA at OL though. I would wait until the season starts to make a final judgement over whether our OL is better.

BTW if Smith makes a big improvement that brings up the pass protection of the entire line since LT is by far the supreme pass protection position. Even if we're a little worst for wear at RG and at pass protection in the RT, an improved LT situation overrides that.

BTW don't be surprised to see St Claire at RG in some way.

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
If wade smith improves VASTLY, Miami will have a left tackle for years.

I think thats what the powers that be are hoping for.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think he played poorly (Indy exception). He played like a rookie, and there are things he needs to improve upon (handling speed rushers...). If Wade Smith plays like he did last season, I don't think anyone here would be jumping for joy. If he makes only a slight improvement, people won't be thrilled either.

Can he improve, or is he expected to improve greatly? Absolutely. There isn't much behind him on the depth chart.

I'm a little worry. We have gotten younger but that doesn't mean we've gotten better. We could end up with a very good line but there are lots of ifs. If Smith really does improve. If Seth can handle center. If Mack is ready to go at %100. Keep on mind that Nails came back last year from his injury but he played nowhere near the way he did in 2002.If Whitley can actually contribute. If St.Claire turns out to be better than people are saying he is.Maybe we could get someone in the draft that can come in and help right away.

A line of Smith,James,Seth,Snee/Locklear/Carey and then Mack with St.Claire,whitley Yates and Jerman as back ups could be good imo.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom