Who's a better fit for us, Lawson or Carpenter? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's a better fit for us, Lawson or Carpenter?

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
There's been a lot of people saying we should draft Manny Lawson....I'd love to have him on our team but is he better for us than Rob Carpenter? Lawson would play the same spot as JT so how much is he gonna play in the next 2 years? Carpenter on the other hand is a real OLB that can play the run, cover and he can blitz too....he's big which is something we need on our defence but ha can drop and cover....something Lawson would have a hard time doing at 6'6 imo....again, is not that I don't like Lawson but I think Carpenter would start right away for us.....Crowder, Zach and Carpenter would be great so what do you guys think?

Ozzy rules!!

I think it really depends on if we continue to use the same style 3-4 defense...... without getting into a ton of detail, in summary our 3-4 only has the hybrid guy on one side with JT. If you look at other 3-4s, some teams have two hybrid guys playing the OLB/DE spot. Our defense right now doesnt require that..... I dont know if thats because thats what Saban wants to play or its because we dont have the personnel to play that style. Having another hybrid guy really opens up an entirely new playbook and allows us to do a LOT more in defense than we already do now.

With that said, personally I would rather draft Lawson and have him play opposite of JT in the OLB spot for a few years and then when JT retires, we can move Manny over into the hybrid spot. For the next few years, we would have 2 hybrid OLB/DE type players and we would be able to do a lot more on defense.

If we plan on playing the current 3-4 we have now and have it set that JT's position is the only real hybrid guy, then I would lean towards a more pure OLB, although #16 might be a little high for Carpenter.

I personally really like both Lawson & Carpenter for us, but if I have to chose between them I'd go with Lawson...although I would not be upset at all if we drafted Carpenter, but like philter said it may be a bit too early for him at #16 overall....

I would rather have Lawson cause I think he could do so much more in the 3-4 and he has so much speed!

I actually think they both would be great fits. Carpenter is probably the more rounded player coming out, but because of Lawson's more dynamics skills I would go with him. I think he has more of a chance to change the game much like JT does.

I think both would be impact players for the Dolphins, but Id rather Lawsonif I had to pick

Carpenter will become a good solid player that you can depend upon I think

Lawson is a bit more risky, but I believe he can become a game changer. when you have the chance to get a game changer (like JT) then you do it.

I'd say Carpenter because he would fit our need better. We already have a hybrid guy in JT. As of right now i know JT is a little suspect in pass coverage i dunno how Lawson is but i bet Carpenter is better. Although Carpenter would be somewhat of a reach at 16. If we did select him first we could always pickup JT's backup and future replacement later in the draft: McClover from Auburn, Long from Oregon, Vaughn LSU, Wimbley from FSU. I still think that Matt Roth could lose some weight and could be a hybrid DE/LB because thats what he started when he was a freshman.

I think Lawson would be a better fit for us because not only does he brings uncanny speed that you just can't pass up plus he has played the DE/OLB hybrid position the past three years at NC State.
Bobby Carpenter is stronger but doesn't have Lawson's agility.
They both have had trouble shedding blockers but with someone like JT tutoring them, that would no longer be a weakness.

Bobby Carpenter is so similar to Mike Vrabel it isnt funny!! Actually he's a little more athletic than Vrabel.

DBoston80 said:
Bobby Carpenter is so similar to Mike Vrabel it isnt funny!! Actually he's a little more athletic than Vrabel.

That's a great comparison.

Well, it seems like Saban uses a rush OLB and a regular linebacker OLB.

I think Lawson is more likely, though. The guy is a physical freak, and built in the exact same mold as Jason Taylor. Lawson is athletic enough to be an every-down OLB in Miami's system.

DBoston80 said:

Who would you compare Lawson to?? Merriman??
if he is i rather have Lawson.

Back
Top Bottom