Who's a better fit for us, Lawson or Carpenter? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's a better fit for us, Lawson or Carpenter?

I like Carpenter alot as well. Problem is he is gonna be a reach at 16. I was hoping few months ago that Carpenter would be there in the 2nd, considering his injury and all. Just asked boomer about this he feels he will go late first.

Maybe we get lucky and someone tries to trade up to our spot and we can drop down a few and get Carpenter plus an extra pick.

I think he would fit well in the OLB spot with Thomas and Crowder inside and JT the other OLB/OE in the defense. Just seems like a perfect fit for me. Guess we will have to see what he can do when he works out for the teams.

vmarcilfan75 said:
Who would you compare Lawson to?? Merriman??
if he is i rather have Lawson.
Lawson is a faster Jason Taylor.

The problem I have with Lawson is that he'd be more of a risk bet,although he seems to offer a higher reward if he pans out a stud..
bobby carpenter is a safer pick, but not with so much upside like Lawson

I'd be fine with either

I'd be fine with either too but like I and some of the other have said, we have a guy like Lawson already in JT(of course there's nothing wrong with that...lol)but we don't have one like Carpenter....I do wish we'd move down and then take Carpenter in the 20's and get an extra pick....I guess we'll have to wait....I hope they're both there just to see which one Saban takes if he takes one of them.

Ozzy rules!!

Lawson IS a real OLB, he has played LB at NC State, there would be nothing preventing him from being a LB in the pros.

He has good drob back coverage skills and is a great rush backer... why not?

We already have Crowder as our other OLB, we don't need a player in the same mould as him, we need a big pass rusher.

Lawson because he can a DE/OLB in the 3/4

Carter-Wright-Holliday
Lawson-Thomas-Crowder-Taylor

I like Lawson, this way teams would relaly have no clue which side the extra pass rusher is coming from. Lawson and Taylor can both put a hand down a rush the passer. I think Taylor is going to be better in coverage this year after a years experience. Lawson has great speed and has already used his coverage skills, at least that's what he has said. Having two such talented pass rushers coming from the outside would be a thing of beauty. I wouldn't be upset with Carpenter either but I'd rather take my chances with him falling to the 2nd unless he has a great proday then it becomes more of a debate in my mind.

A better fit for us would be Nick Mangold and Brodie Croyle.

stick to the subject

finfan54 said:
A better fit for us would be Nick Mangold :sidelol: and Brodie Croyle.

I don't think this has anything to do with the original question but to get back on topic either one would be an outstanding addition to our defense.

MiamiRon

Lawson is a player that can potentially take a defense to another level like a Demarcus Ware and Merriman of last year and even like a Joey Porter or Terrell Suggs.

Carpenter is more of a solid player that I see as a MLB in this 3-4 system with a strong pursuit to the ball and very strong run support but will do an excellent job as a MLB.

I really like Carpenter as a player and what he does, I just don't think he has the ability of elevating a defensive coordinators flexibility in play calling as Manny Lawson does. Sure, Miami has an older Manny Lawson in JAson Taylor but you just CANNOT have enough of these types of players when (or if) the opportunity is there. Next to the fact that Jason Taylor is around 32 years old. Three years of Lawson and Taylor as a tandem would be.... Struggling to find words to explain this situation... Let's just say very, very, very instrumental to the defensive flexiblity that Dom Capers (A defensive genius) can muster up. I'm sure Capers would have alot of FUN utlizing those 2.

This may be a moot point because Manny Lawson, I believe, will not be available to Miami at #16

I saw Lawson's combine performance today on the NFL Network and the guy can flat out fly for a man his size. I would love to see Lawson as an OLB. :tongue:

Philter25 said:
I think it really depends on if we continue to use the same style 3-4 defense...... without getting into a ton of detail, in summary our 3-4 only has the hybrid guy on one side with JT. If you look at other 3-4s, some teams have two hybrid guys playing the OLB/DE spot. Our defense right now doesnt require that..... I dont know if thats because thats what Saban wants to play or its because we dont have the personnel to play that style. Having another hybrid guy really opens up an entirely new playbook and allows us to do a LOT more in defense than we already do now.

With that said, personally I would rather draft Lawson and have him play opposite of JT in the OLB spot for a few years and then when JT retires, we can move Manny over into the hybrid spot. For the next few years, we would have 2 hybrid OLB/DE type players and we would be able to do a lot more on defense.

If we plan on playing the current 3-4 we have now and have it set that JT's position is the only real hybrid guy, then I would lean towards a more pure OLB, although #16 might be a little high for Carpenter.

you took the words out of my mouth, great post. :up:

RUDEbyallMEANS said:
Lawson is a player that can potentially take a defense to another level like a Demarcus Ware and Merriman of last year and even like a Joey Porter or Terrell Suggs.

Carpenter is more of a solid player that I see as a MLB in this 3-4 system with a strong pursuit to the ball and very strong run support but will do an excellent job as a MLB.

I really like Carpenter as a player and what he does, I just don't think he has the ability of elevating a defensive coordinators flexibility in play calling as Manny Lawson does. Sure, Miami has an older Manny Lawson in JAson Taylor but you just CANNOT have enough of these types of players when (or if) the opportunity is there. Next to the fact that Jason Taylor is around 32 years old. Three years of Lawson and Taylor as a tandem would be.... Struggling to find words to explain this situation... Let's just say very, very, very instrumental to the defensive flexiblity that Dom Capers (A defensive genius) can muster up. I'm sure Capers would have alot of FUN utlizing those 2.

This may be a moot point because Manny Lawson, I believe, will not be available to Miami at #16

Exactly my thoughts.

Roman529 said:
I saw Lawson's combine performance today on the NFL Network and the guy can flat out fly for a man his size. I would love to see Lawson as an OLB. :tongue:

I saw that too, he could fit right in in Miami

Back
Top Bottom