Who's got info on Josh Davis? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's got info on Josh Davis?

BLUESTIGIDY

Too many MC's not enough MICS!
Reaction score
I thought this kid was to be a sleeper in the draft! What happend, he does hold the NCAA record for most receptions or is this a different kid...

Boomer said:
Different kid...whaddya wanna know?

we did just sign Davis so I think thats why he wants some info on him... Boomer, what do you think of Ernest Shazor and why did he go undrafted?

From Scouts Inc.
Strengths: Is as natural as it gets in terms of his pass catching and route running. Is quick, fluid and smooth. Has a great feel for reading coverages, finding soft spots and setting DB's up vs. man-to-man. He is one of those guys that lacks explosive speed but just knows how to separate. Is extremely fluid in and out of his breaks. Shows burst out of his cuts without having to gear down. He is subtle and has a lot of quick double moves that he uses to get open. He knows how to work back to his quarterback and is a WR that consistently seems to bail his QB out of bad situations. His hands are outstanding. He rarely drops a catchable pass and he shows the consistent ability to pluck on the run and catch over his shoulder. He gives a solid effort as a blocker, as well.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal NFL measurables. Has just adequate height, bulk, strength and speed. Could have some trouble getting off the LOS in the NFL vs. bigger cornerbacks in press coverage. Is not a huge vertical threat. Is quicker than fast. Won't win a lot of jump balls and isn't a huge threat in the red zone. Doesn't have explosive speed after the catch and isn't a huge home-run threat.

Overall: Davis redshirted as a true freshman in 2000 and has been a fulltime starter since. He is one of the most productive receivers in this class. In his first three seasons at Marshall, Davis had 220 receptions for 2,975 yards with 16 touchdowns from 2001-'03. With Darius Watts (Broncos) gone to the NFL, Davis became the primary target for the first time in his career as a senior in 2004 and he finished with a career-high 86 receptions for 914 yards with seven TD's. Davis' lack of ideal NFL height and speed will likely cause him to slip out of the first day of the 2005 draft but we still think he's an underrated prospect that will eventually develop into a very good No. 3 slot receiver in the NFL or a reliable complementary No. 2. He reminds us a lot of Darrell Jackson (Seahawks) in that Davis doesn't have great measurables or top end speed but has the quickness and know-how to consistently separate

I'm a big Marshall fan, as well as a Dol-fan...This signing is GREAT!!! He's easily a quality sign...He said he was expecting to not fall to anything later than a mid 4th round pick...He's better than Darius Watts, drafted #46 last year to the Broncos...Fast on the field, can really make plays after the catch...Rarely drops catchable balls...He'll do well, I expect him to make the team

Yea I am at Marshall now. I work here now since graduating but I watched Byron, Chad Pennignton, Darius and Josh. All have that ability to change a game and Josh always made the catch. He just gets opn.

I predict him to be the final inactive WR for atleast the first couple of games.

Chambers
Booker
Thompson
Gilmore
Davis
Welker

PhinDude88 said:
What is his strength and weakness?

Strength - route running and seperation
Weakness - light frame and speed or lack of.

Yeh! The Fins are gettin some boys from here in West Virginia. See, our footballs programs dont suck so much after all.

I saw him play this last year in person. He had a handful of catches and one nice TD catch. Should have a nice shot at making it.

Boomer said:
Different kid...whaddya wanna know?

Sorry Boom, had to go to lunch!!! I just wanted to know if people on our forum had any info on his talents and or if he could make the final cuts....

From NFL.com

Positives: Has good upper body muscle definition, an adequate bubble and big calves … Durable player who never missed a game because of injuries … Shows quickness off the snap and accelerates instantly … Uses that speed to get off the line of scrimmage, displaying an effective swim move to escape the press coverage … Does a nice job of finding the open spot in the zone and seems to always know where to be on the field … Gets good separation on both long and short routes … While most of his catches are in the short area, he has the strength and double moves to escape the defender and gain yardage after the catch … Gets down the seam quickly on deep throws, following the ball in the air well … Uses his leaping ability to go high for the pass and has the natural hands to scoop out the low throws … Runs with very good balance … Adequate downfield blocker who works hard to help clear a lane for the ball carrier. Negatives: Needs to show better crispness in his route running, as he tends to round them and take soft angles … Despite all of his receptions, he has only adequate hands, as he will drop or double catch some passes, especially those going over the middle … Not the type that likes contact and is reluctant to make the catch in a crowd or venture over the middle of the field … Played most of his career working in the slot, but will have to move outside at the next level due to a lack of courage for the middle area … Has the quickness to be effective on deep routes, but has been relegated to short area duty, as he needs to refine his mechanics and show better precision coming out of his breaks.

Back
Top Bottom