Why are our Fins hated so? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are our Fins hated so?

SuperDuper

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Now I must temper this by stating that I now live in NYC so I am surrounded by infidels sporting green and white, but it seems everywhere I turn the national media is loving this. Now I understand that part of the media's purpose is to add to the detritus of everyday life, but there seems to be a definite feeling of resounding glee at what most sports writers are referring to as the worst post season across all sports EVER. They love the fact that this happened to Miami, especially Miami. In my encounters I have found that most people who watch the NFL hate our beloved Fins.

WHY?!?

Because we went undefeated OVER 30 years ago? At a time that I wish I could have witnessed, but simply hadn't even been conceived.

Because we had Dan Marino? One of the greatest QBs ever, who failed to win a Super Bowl, and forever will be plagued by it.

Because Miami-Dade is so absolutely removed from the general conception of the US that it is easier to just discount altogether?

Regardless of what has happened with Ricky running from his bipolar demons there still can be hope. From a simple fan perspective you will NOT be seeing Run Ricky up the middle for no gain, run Ricky between the tackles for 3 yards, Ricky finally doesn't get smacked at the line and breaks away for 8 yards. 1st down... Jay scrambles right, throws across his chest and the entire fan base feints in anticipation of an interception. Well maybe that last bit... No, you wont see Ricky at 3rd and 15 running for 4 yards because a halfwit thinks 1 man can make a football team.

Was this team a possible Super Bowl contender with Ricky? No. The D failed at too many critical stops and the offense was too conservative spending more emphasis on ball control than putting 7 on the board. So where are we now?

I don't know. But I kinda like it.

You guys are always Super Bowl favorites. You can drop your "the media hates us" rant.

Moulds is right it because Miami is has almost always been a good team we've never realy had a long lossing period

I think we really used to get great respect back in the eighties and before Johnson coached. Everybody respected Shula and Marino. Also, I think we were a big preseason Super Bowl favorite the last two years. Our team has done alot to gain a bad rep. This offseason certainly didn't help. The Bills trully get no respect because of the multiple Jim Kelly Super Bowl losses so I think we could be much worse off. I mean dispite everything Edge James came out and said that he would leave a genuine Bowl contender to play in Miami. We're doing ok considering. The media is just going to kill us for a while. We can bounce back.

riiiiiight? But always being good enough to win, but never good enough to contend is like a slap in the face. This team has been good enough to keep us from ever being truly great or truly horrible. Years of mediocroty or tanking and rebuilding. It is a truly tough question.

HofCityFan said:
Moulds is right it because Miami is has almost always been a good team we've never realy had a long lossing period

Sorry i was quoting this and not the DrewOldScool...

There are still teams out there that have been around a while i.e. Cardinals, Falcons that haven't done much of anything ever. Mediocrity it may be but from a business perspective this team has remained a huge source of revenues in the league usually in the top 10 in merchandise sales etc. Fans usually pick winners. Remember the people that earn a pay check building and maintaining this team approach this as a biz. You can't run a biz with much more consitent success then the Phins have had over three decades. Success as in a strong revenue earning franchise who seldom misses the playoffs. We have just been having huge problems very recently i.e. the last two years.

Thankfully I have been able to view things through rose colored shades as I live in Miami. But I have to agree with Drew... Shula and Marino brought a lot of respect to our organization. With them no longer here, I think people that liked us during that era feel dirty for it and now want to see us fall on our face to regain their composer. Of course the way Jimmy Johnson left I think started a domino effect of unfortunate circumstances that we are still trying to crawl out of, but I think we are almost there. Let them laugh, let them think we are the underdogs, let them scramble to figure out what defense to use against us this year with Ricky gone... We could very possibly have the last laugh... New England did it when no one thought they could, why can't we?

DrewOldSchool said:
Everybody respected Shula and Marino.

Yes and no. Shula was a man apart from a lot of he wrangling in the rest of the league. I think that there was sincere respect for him and for the way that he ran his organization. Marino was a great. period.

However, that respect breeds [or bred] contempt. That paired with the fact that Miami never was able to win it in the nineties and especially in the eighties when they were so close... well that means that "respect" is remembered with a snicker.

I live in NYC too, and I have to think that there is no other place in the world that harbors as many fans from around the league. You go out to the bars on the upper east side to catch the games and you are surrounded by a United Nations of the NFL. I can tell you that it doesn't matter where they're from, NFC or AFC, people cheer when Miami fumbles. Guys get drunk and talk a lot of crap and I'm not talking about Jets fans.

The media, as much as we try to seperate them from the fan base, are fans of the sport [that's why they got in the industry] and I have to believe that there's a whole lot of joy over this mess- whether it's explicit or not. They hate us, and it's not just the teal. Well f them.

And Mouldsy, we've been superbowl favorites because we've had some good paper teams and it's a crap shoot at the beginning of any season... and no one, I mean no one, respects Barfalo... ;) xox

Not to get too overjoyed...

B:Boy
I: I
L: Love
L: Losing
S: Super Bowls...

I actually feel bad for a bit. But some healthy ripping makes us all better.

But being a Fins Fan, it makes you stronger.

Schleckbaum said:
Yes and no. Shula was a man apart from a lot of he wrangling in the rest of the league. I think that there was sincere respect for him and for the way that he ran his organization. Marino was a great. period.

However, that respect breeds [or bred] contempt. That paired with the fact that Miami never was able to win it in the nineties and especially in the eighties when they were so close... well that means that "respect" is remembered with a snicker.

I live in NYC too, and I have to think that there is no other place in the world that harbors as many fans from around the league. You go out to the bars on the upper east side to catch the games and you are surrounded by a United Nations of the NFL. I can tell you that it doesn't matter where they're from, NFC or AFC, people cheer when Miami fumbles. Guys get drunk and talk a lot of crap and I'm not talking about Jets fans.

The media, as much as we try to seperate them from the fan base, are fans of the sport [that's why they got in the industry] and I have to believe that there's a whole lot of joy over this mess- whether it's explicit or not. They hate us, and it's not just the teal. Well f them.

And Mouldsy, we've been superbowl favorites because we've had some good paper teams and it's a crap shoot at the beginning of any season... and no one, I mean no one, respects Barfalo... ;) xox
Yeah, I wrote the bit about the paper teams and your right they were just paper teams. Thats been the problem in the last two years. But it also means that somebody out there making early predictions was putting his pick on the Phins. The press usually likes us (obviously not right now) but other fans don't. Most teams have losing records against the Dolphins that may explain the resentment. I know we have a bad record against the Jags and I really don't like them much. Got a little payback last year though. :evil:

The Dolphins have been winners, even whenthey shouldn't be. :D As time goes on, the media can't come to terms that the Dolphins are Americas Team, because that term is supposed to belong to the Cowboys :shakeno:
Well, the world better get the fact straight, the Fins are the best NFL franchise, period.... The record proves it, and they just keep winning! :D

Sorry to all the rest of the AFC East fans, whom I do respect, but the Fins will be right there again this year, even without RW! Deal with it, It won't change and you know it :D :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

The question that looms large: who can throw the ball?

Quid Pro Quo:

Feeley?Fiedler?

What we are witnessing is a once known journeyman cum GM make a questionable decision which could potentially make or break a career-HIS OWN.

Fiedler\Feeley- Someone, for the love of god, please show some accuracy downfield...

Because Shula was full of attitude. He filled his team with that attitude, and he let everyone know that they had attitude. As far as Don was concerned, the Phins were the royalty of the league and deserved to win every game they played just because they were the Phins. It was obvious to everyone else that the Phins were the team to beat and the team to hate (cause they could talk the talk and walk the walk). Unfortunately, after the 70's ended, the team could no longer walk the walk, but they still talked the talk, and remain hated by everyone else to this day. It's all about that attitude.:fire:

Back
Top Bottom