Why Burke might be getting a mulligan... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Burke might be getting a mulligan...

NBP81

Its what you know for sure... that just aint so...
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
There's this ongoing discussion on the boards about why there are no changes being made on the defensive coaching staff. Most are disapointed in Harris for his lack of production as a pass rusher, and overall the whole pass rushing unit was kind of meh this season. Well I think I know, right or wrong, why they think they're not that far off. Keep in mind we have heard them say A) they built the defense to play with a lead and B) Gase is very confident in his offense capabilities... To say the least.

Here are some stats comparing the team when playing with a lead, and playing from behind. Note that the D played 561 snaps from behind, and only 196 play with a lead.

Stat-trailing-leading
Rushing Y/A- 4.4.....3.9
1st%-12%.....5%
TD%- *Sample size not big enough for ratios, but D allowed only 1 rushing TD all season when playing with a lead
Passing Y/A- 6.8.....5.8
Comp% - 66% - 60%
INT- 2.....5 *Note that we have more than twice as many INTs, despite playing less than half the snaps...
PassTDs - 16.....4 *This is significant
QBrating - 103.....71*This too

Now, while the difference is significant between both scenarios, I would assume that this can be observed to some extent with every NFL team. But I could see a case where Gase blames himself and the whole offense for the disparencies in number of snaps between playing with a lead and trailing. The thinking here is that bringing that ratio to 50/50, will in itself elevate the defense to at least an acceptable level.

And the way to change that ratio is by creating offense...

Last edited:
Burkes a risky decision, he may be great or terrible. I am not too impressed with his scheme thus far but I'll trust Gase for a year on this one. My eyes tell me we need much more pressure on the QB and of course better lb play.

You don't run a defensive scheme to play with a lead. You build a defense to dominant an offense.:rolleyes:
says a defensive minded coach as opposed to an offensive one like we have. I agree with the def mind.

You don't run a defensive scheme to play with a lead. You build a defense to dominant an offense.:rolleyes:
Yeah I didnt say I agreed either way. Although the fact that NFL defenses play better when the team is leading is a real thing...

Who would you say had the most dominant defense this year?

Yeah I didnt say I agreed either way. Although the fact that NFL defenses play better when the team is leading is a real thing...

I think you have a point. Look at the Texans D when they had anemic O performances? The Rams? Etc

You cannot continue to score 7 ish pounts every first half and expect success - not to excuse blown coverages in the secondary or LB play but the offense MUST be much better.

Btw totally off topic but speaking of a Lb some were intersted in.

I would say that Jags D had a heck of a year, off the top of my head.
I’m all for building Strong D and runnning game. Take a look at Ryans QB rating off play action.

I would have to go with the Vikings. They only gave up a little more than 15pts/game.

Ok lets go with MIN and JAC as 2 of the best D in 2017...

• MIN was top 10 in both 1st quarter and 2nd quarter scoring offense
  • JAC was top 10 in 1st quarter scoring offense
  • JAC played better defense when playing with a lead *AND* snaps with a lead: 552---- Snaps trailing: 275
  • MIN D played better defense when playing with a lead *AND* snaps with a lead: 579----Snaps trailing: 163
And don't get me wrong, the defense plays a role in being in position to play with a lead, but you still need the offense to score points in order to do so.

We've heard this playing with a lead BS before but it's just that, BS. This is an offense that plenty of time gave up long drives to start off the game. No defense starts the game with a lead. Last time I look all the games start 0-0. When it comes to the lack of a pass rush.......we always hear that it's easier when you know the other team is going to pas. Ok, how many times did we see the other team's offense on a 3rd and long situation and yet the QB had all day to pass and our defense gave up the 1st down? Heck even Burke said that playing with the lead thing was BS. He called it like it was. He said we didn't have the right guys to cover the TE's and RB's. The problem with our team is that the standard has gone down and down. We have a 1st round DE that had two sacks but people are happy he played 16 games. We have a WR that catches a bunch of 3 yard passes and some people think he's Jerry Rice......heck even Gase is saying Pouncey's the best Center in the NFL when the fact is that he's not even the best Center in his family. It's all one excuse after the other. Last year it was that "the defense is tired because our offense can't score"......then our defense would give up a TD drive to start off the game. Were they tired just by running into the field? gtfo

Ozzy rules!!

We've heard this playing with a lead BS before but it's just that, BS. This is an offense that plenty of time gave up long drives to start off the game. No defense starts the game with a lead. Last time I look all the games start 0-0. When it comes to the lack of a pass rush.......we always hear that it's easier when you know the other team is going to pas. Ok, how many times did we see the other team's offense on a 3rd and long situation and yet the QB had all day to pass and our defense gave up the 1st down? Heck even Burke said that playing with the lead thing was BS. He called it like it was. He said we didn't have the right guys to cover the TE's and RB's. The problem with our team is that the standard has gone down and down. We have a 1st round DE that had two sacks but people are happy he played 16 games. We have a WR that catches a bunch of 3 yard passes and some people think he's Jerry Rice......heck even Gase is saying Pouncey's the best Center in the NFL when the fact is that he's not even the best Center in his family. It's all one excuse after the other. Last year it was that "the defense is tired because our offense can't score"......then our defense would give up a TD drive to start off the game. Were they tired just by running into the field? gtfo

Ozzy rules!!
NFL defenses play better with a lead, it's not BS, it's a fact...

I think you have a point. Look at the Texans D when they had anemic O performances? The Rams? Etc

You cannot continue to score 7 ish pounts every first half and expect success - not to excuse blown coverages in the secondary or LB play but the offense MUST be much better.

Btw totally off topic but speaking of a Lb some were intersted in.

Wow! Didnt take long...

I think the D was just bad most of the time.

When the D did look good, I honestly chalk that up more than anything to opposing teams stupidly trying to test our corners rather than just abusing our linebackers. We beat the Patriots because of that. Most people think that the Patriots have the best coaching staff in the NFL (they're probably right), and that they're geniuses who never screw up (absolutely not right). They kept throwing the ball at Xavien Howard rather than Kiko Alonso, and that's why we beat them.

If Burke comes back in 2018, and we actually have better personnel for him to work with, he needs to show results.

Does Gase really believe the “we are built to play w the lead BS”, or is that just coach speak to give the unit some air cover?

Back
Top Bottom