Why do I keep thinking Gholston is the pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why do I keep thinking Gholston is the pick

trate121

Starter
Reaction score
he is the best fit in our 3-4 style and with Ireland tipping his hat today i have a feeling this is our guy...he's a beast. i wish we could trade a few spots and still get him

I think we could trade down to 4 or 5 and still get him but NY will take him at 6 imo. The more I read about him the more I like him, heres from an article I read earlier and his potential really is through the roof whereas with Chris I think he's already a finished product.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/579537.html

“Gholston has excited people,†said ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

“He fits a 3-4 team. He’s kind of the Shawne Merriman, DeMarcus Ware, Kamerion Wimbley, Terrell Suggs,†Kiper said, referring to four first-round picks of the past five years.

Bill Parcells, now Miami’s top front-office executive, selected Ware in the first round of the 2005 draft while head coach at Dallas.

“Those kinds of players, those attacking, outside-linebacker/defensive-end types, are going to help you right away,†Kiper said.

Unlike Long, the son of a Pro Football Hall of Famer, Gholston was a late-comer to football.

He did not play football until his sophomore year in high school at Cass Tech in Detroit when football coach Thomas Wilcher convinced the then-6-foot-3, 240-pounder to join the team.

“I never really watched football,†he said. “I played basketball and I was a big wrestling fan, loved working out, but football was one of the ones that kind of slipped through the cracks. I played a couple times when I was younger, but never really organized.â€

By the time Gholston’s career was over at Ohio State, he played in two national-championship games, had 22.5 sacks, made 30.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage for losses of 199 yards, made one interception and returned a fumble 25 yards for a touchdown.

He also watched the Super Bowl and noticed how the Giants pressured Brady, which may have helped the draft stock of defensive ends.

“I know how (important) the defensive line is,†Gholston said.

“If you got a front four that can control the game, you’re destined for championships. That was proven, the way they were able to take advantage of their speed an get to the quarterback.â€

Back
Top Bottom