Why does Shula Get short shrift in the great coaches discussion? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why does Shula Get short shrift in the great coaches discussion?

poppy

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
With Joe Gibbs coming out of retirement, the talking heads (P.T.I, Around the horn, NFL live, sports talk radio) have been putting out that they think he ranks up there as the greatest coach of all time along with Lombardi, Parcells, Walsh, Landry, and even Chuck Knoll.

I've never once heard any of them mention Don Shula. R U freekin kidding me?!:yell: :yell: :yell:

Salsbury on Espn was raving about how in 13 seasons Joe Gibbs only had one losing season. Try 2 in 33 seasons!!

I don't get it.

Yup, 2 in 33. And how about going 32-2 in '72-'73 (43-5 thru '74)?? I suppose that wasn't anything special either.

IMO, some people in the media seem to hate or dislike anything related to the Dolphin organization.

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

Shula

It is crazy how they rank coaching. Shula should be ranked one of the greatest if not the greatest not because i am a dolphins fan it is because of the facts. He took over a franchise in the mid to late 60's an within 6 years he took them to there first SB. People have to understand it was hard to start a team back then it aint like it is now. Back then FA was not like they are now money was not the case then. You can also say that trades were not as popular as they are now. You could not grab a team off of FA's. You had to have a good or great coach ( Shula) to be that successfull. I just dont understand why people dog him he has got the most wins of any other coaches. For pete sake he got the only undefeated team. Vince L. wins a SB and he is the greatest coach ever. I believe Shula earned that mark. Do yah believe this is true?

Originally posted by poppy
With Joe Gibbs coming out of retirement, the talking heads (P.T.I, Around the horn, NFL live, sports talk radio) have been putting out that they think he ranks up there as the greatest coach of all time along with Lombardi, Parcells, Walsh, Landry, and even Chuck Knoll.

I've never once heard any of them mention Don Shula. R U freekin kidding me?!:yell: :yell: :yell:

Salsbury on Espn was raving about how in 13 seasons Joe Gibbs only had one losing season. Try 2 in 33 seasons!!

I don't get it.

I like don shula...he is #1 in my book

Shula took over Miami in 1970. He had them in the Superbowl within 2 years.

Well that is even better thanks for the info I was way off I did'nt know he was with the colts that long. SHULA IS THE MAN!!!!! He is Dean Smith of Football. Went from a losing team to a winning team in 2 years that fast during that time.

Joe Gibbs gets hired by Redskins after Spurrier the joke was let go..

Why not Shula back to Miami?? Dave "joke" Wannstedt needs the boot.

Why should any of you care about what the idiots say on ESPN? We all know Shula is the top 5 if not the top 3. How many coaches go from a run oriented offense to a pass oriented offense and still win? Everyone's opinion is different when ranking players, teams and coaches.

He could take his'n and beat your'n or he could take your'n and beat his'n.......

Maybe it has something to do with his Super Bowl Record. I believe he is 2-4 overall, with five of those appearances coming with the Dolphins. I am not defending the position though because I feel he is one of the greatest but I am just trying to find some reasons.

I guess you could spin it and say no head coach has taken his teams to more superbowls as well though.

What's this "top 5" "top 3" nonsense? Try the Top 1!

How can anyone dispute the numbers? Greatest coach to roam the sidelines, and probably the greatest man as well.
Class through and though, top to bottom, inside and out.

Shula was number 1.

Back
Top Bottom