why dont NFL teams ever run the option play?

Doktor Ivel

Hammered
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
2,690
Reaction score
0
Location
Varies From Day to Day
you know the play they run in college, where the QB, runs to the outside, and the hb follows, and the QB pitches it, when he needs to.
it is usually so sucsesful in college, but yet, i never see the pros run it.

i think it would be a great play for us, expecially if we draft McPherson, since hes fast
 

Nublar7

Retired
Finheaven VIP
Joined
Aug 13, 2003
Messages
35,709
Reaction score
246
Location
120 mi west of Costa Rica
It is a very hard offense to run in the Pros. The teams that run it in college usually go up against poor defenses, but all the NFL teams would easily be able to stop them in their tracks.
 

finz99

Chief Penguin
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
4
Location
Portland, OR
Doktor Ivel said:
you know the play they run in college, where the QB, runs to the outside, and the hb follows, and the QB pitches it, when he needs to.
it is usually so sucsesful in college, but yet, i never see the pros run it.

i think it would be a great play for us, expecially if we draft McPherson, since hes fast
Well basically, if NFL teams ran the option, all the QB's would be dead.

The NFL have faster, stronger and smarter linebackers than college does, thus running the option would be pointless because all of the linebackers would be all over the QB.
 

knight6jb

Pro Bowler
Joined
Jul 18, 2004
Messages
1,231
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Location
Orlando, Fl
Defenses are too fast to run the option in the NFL, it would almost always fail.........
 

jnewmant

Hit folks and like it!
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
2,368
Reaction score
1
Age
36
Location
Greenville, MS
the only QB in the NFL that would be at all effective running the draft would be vick and even then he would get molested
 

Nick13

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
Mar 29, 2005
Messages
1,384
Reaction score
3
Location
Arizona/New Jersey
imagine if lets say, Steve McNair, decides to run the option against the dolphins, he rolls out and pretends like he's going to run, right? and whoever their back is now is trotting along behind him expectantly waiting for the ball, just as he goes to pitch the ball Jason Taylor swallows McNair, burps, then rubs his stomach, meanwhile Junior Seau picks up the ball and promenades into the endzone. thats why the option isnt run in the pros.
 

finz99

Chief Penguin
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
4
Location
Portland, OR
Nick13 said:
imagine if lets say, Steve McNair, decides to run the option against the dolphins, he rolls out and pretends like he's going to run, right? and whoever their back is now is trotting along behind him expectantly waiting for the ball, just as he goes to pitch the ball Jason Taylor swallows McNair, burps, then rubs his stomach, meanwhile Junior Seau picks up the ball and promenades into the endzone. thats why the option isnt run in the pros.

I think that might be the best way to put it :roflmao:
 

bryan allen

Scout Team
Joined
Jun 23, 2003
Messages
251
Reaction score
0
Who says they dont run the option in the pros, I remember several times chan gaily replacing ears with lucas for that specific play

and it got stuffed badly
 

Gonzo

Who dat?
Administrator
Finheaven VIP
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Messages
32,052
Reaction score
4,710
Age
39
Location
Canada
Nick13 said:
imagine if lets say, Steve McNair, decides to run the option against the dolphins, he rolls out and pretends like he's going to run, right? and whoever their back is now is trotting along behind him expectantly waiting for the ball, just as he goes to pitch the ball Jason Taylor swallows McNair, burps, then rubs his stomach, meanwhile Junior Seau picks up the ball and promenades into the endzone. thats why the option isnt run in the pros.

:roflmao:
Exactly, and we don't want our DE's having indigestion now do we? :nate:

EDIT: and thats one hell of a sig you got going there Dok. I think you left out a few prospects though...
 

Sirspud

Pro Bowler
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
11,550
Reaction score
1,616
Age
34
Location
Haines City, Fl
Running the option in the NFL is like Michael Jackson at an elementary school. Bad things are gonna happen.
 

Boik14

Hammered
Joined
Apr 6, 2004
Messages
7,227
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Location
NYC
knight6jb said:
Defenses are too fast to run the option in the NFL, it would almost always fail.........
:what he said: + Qb's would take a beating. Also consider the lateral movement it requires and the speed of defenses sideline to sideline. For a long time under JJ and Wanny we shut down most anything that involved an RB moving laterally and theres no reason an option would be any different.

Also consider the risk of some of those toss plays where the qb gets hit as hes throwing or pitching. It'd be a TO catastrophe. Your line would need to be incredibly mobile and versitile and able to adjust on the fly on some of those QB option plays where the qb backs up at the last second to make a pass. Too complicated really.
 

Boik14

Hammered
Joined
Apr 6, 2004
Messages
7,227
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Location
NYC
Sirspud said:
Running the option in the NFL is like Michael Jackson at an elementary school. Bad things are gonna happen.
:roflmao: Aint that the truth
 

JAREDMANN

Seau's Slut
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
522
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Location
canada
ya it hardly works in the cfl so i doubt it would work in the nfl
 

Goin' Deep

"Pick your guy and let it fly." - Marino
Finheaven VIP
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
4,814
Reaction score
3,098
Location
The Left Coast
finz99 said:
Well basically, if NFL teams ran the option, all the QB's would be dead.
Then maybe we ought to get Feeley to run it Week 1.
 

fitskin

Starter
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
493
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Location
Minnesota
on an option play you are leaving the DE unblocked, and optioning him. He is going to kill the QB, its that simple.
 
Top Bottom