why dont NFL teams ever run the option play? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

why dont NFL teams ever run the option play?

Doktor Ivel

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
you know the play they run in college, where the QB, runs to the outside, and the hb follows, and the QB pitches it, when he needs to.
it is usually so sucsesful in college, but yet, i never see the pros run it.

i think it would be a great play for us, expecially if we draft McPherson, since hes fast

It is a very hard offense to run in the Pros. The teams that run it in college usually go up against poor defenses, but all the NFL teams would easily be able to stop them in their tracks.

Doktor Ivel said:
you know the play they run in college, where the QB, runs to the outside, and the hb follows, and the QB pitches it, when he needs to.
it is usually so sucsesful in college, but yet, i never see the pros run it.

i think it would be a great play for us, expecially if we draft McPherson, since hes fast

Well basically, if NFL teams ran the option, all the QB's would be dead.

The NFL have faster, stronger and smarter linebackers than college does, thus running the option would be pointless because all of the linebackers would be all over the QB.

Defenses are too fast to run the option in the NFL, it would almost always fail.........

the only QB in the NFL that would be at all effective running the draft would be vick and even then he would get molested

imagine if lets say, Steve McNair, decides to run the option against the dolphins, he rolls out and pretends like he's going to run, right? and whoever their back is now is trotting along behind him expectantly waiting for the ball, just as he goes to pitch the ball Jason Taylor swallows McNair, burps, then rubs his stomach, meanwhile Junior Seau picks up the ball and promenades into the endzone. thats why the option isnt run in the pros.

Nick13 said:
imagine if lets say, Steve McNair, decides to run the option against the dolphins, he rolls out and pretends like he's going to run, right? and whoever their back is now is trotting along behind him expectantly waiting for the ball, just as he goes to pitch the ball Jason Taylor swallows McNair, burps, then rubs his stomach, meanwhile Junior Seau picks up the ball and promenades into the endzone. thats why the option isnt run in the pros.

I think that might be the best way to put it :roflmao:

Who says they dont run the option in the pros, I remember several times chan gaily replacing ears with lucas for that specific play

and it got stuffed badly

Nick13 said:

:roflmao:
Exactly, and we don't want our DE's having indigestion now do we? :nate:

EDIT: and thats one hell of a sig you got going there Dok. I think you left out a few prospects though...

Running the option in the NFL is like Michael Jackson at an elementary school. Bad things are gonna happen.

knight6jb said:
Defenses are too fast to run the option in the NFL, it would almost always fail.........
:what he said: + Qb's would take a beating. Also consider the lateral movement it requires and the speed of defenses sideline to sideline. For a long time under JJ and Wanny we shut down most anything that involved an RB moving laterally and theres no reason an option would be any different.

Also consider the risk of some of those toss plays where the qb gets hit as hes throwing or pitching. It'd be a TO catastrophe. Your line would need to be incredibly mobile and versitile and able to adjust on the fly on some of those QB option plays where the qb backs up at the last second to make a pass. Too complicated really.

Sirspud said:
Running the option in the NFL is like Michael Jackson at an elementary school. Bad things are gonna happen.
:roflmao: Aint that the truth

ya it hardly works in the cfl so i doubt it would work in the nfl

on an option play you are leaving the DE unblocked, and optioning him. He is going to kill the QB, its that simple.

Back
Top Bottom