Why don't rookie negotiations start earlier? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why don't rookie negotiations start earlier?

NJPHIN34

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
If everyone waits till the 1st pick is signed to negotiate contracts, wouldn't it make sense to start signing picks shortly after the draft or at least some time before the week before training camp starts? There is always plenty of time between the draft and training camp so why don't they negotiate in May or June, so the rookies can get in camp on time? I don't understand.

Some teams do. Leverage in these negotiations is a funny thing. The athletes use TIME as their bargaining chip, so the teams aren't pressed until they are pressed.

Not sure if that helps you...but it is what is. Has always been that way. Wonder if we'll get lots of 5 year deals. Say what you will about RS, but he was talented in this respect. Wedemeyer probably has a prudent hand in all of that though...

well recently the number one pick was either locked up by draft time or quickly after.....49ers are the one dragging thier feet

I think the system is stupid.

They should have the rookie contracts already pre determined by draft position...and they can be raised a certain % every year.

It would make life alot easier.

Losman7 said:
I think the system is stupid.

They should have the rookie contracts already pre determined by draft position...and they can be raised a certain % every year.

It would make life alot easier.

I agree wholeheartedly... though I think they should also consider actual playing position as well. Perhaps base it off what others of that same position are making per year.... sorta like the franchise tag.

I don't think the NFLPA would ever go for it though.

Back
Top Bottom