Why hiring Marino and Spielman is great | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why hiring Marino and Spielman is great

Fisticuff

hm mmm, peanut butter and crack sandwich
Reaction score
I can't understand this. How can anyone believe Marino would accept the job just be the pretty girls in a magic act? The guy loves the dolphins. A lot of people here have said they could do the job, or they understand the problem and Wannstedt just won't fix it. Marino knows the offensive line sucks, the QB spot isn't successful, and the team needs WR. He knows the defense gets worse as the season goes on because of time of possession, and the fact it has no depth. These are the many things Marino has commented on while doing his sport shows. The things he's saying on the shows (like we all are) are the things he wants to get fixed. It's obvious the team needed a new look. The new look is an old look with a new twist. To think Marino isn't going to hire a great coach is Wannstedt fails, or get new coordinators if they're not doing their job is ludicrous.

Now if you're saying he doesn't have the experience then no one can argue. But it's not like Marino is on an island all by himself. I'm sure he'll have people helping him. Jay Glazer was talking about the perception Marino is going to be a hard *** and be the same type of player as a FO manager and how thats not true. Marino is always willing to listen and discuss any topic and is a reasonable guy.

I'm not saying this is a great move by the organization. But I'm not saying this was stupid and pointless. I've seen people already predict a 9-7 season without any roster adjustments whatsoever. I've also seen comments such as Wayne H. doesn't give a **** about the team, and theres such panic. WHY?! The GM search ended with Spielman becoming GM. That's pretty good news. The guy has experience with trades, and FA. He's also wanted to draft some players who have been successful. Dan Marino is there to make sure the team has all the right coaches, and staff, and to help bring a new prospective to an organization that hasn't gone under to much change since it came into the NFL.

Lets see what happens before everyone jumps to conclusions that Miami is screwed. Lets see what the new situation has to offer before everyone takes a giant **** on it.

Dan has a way with people. He convinced JJ to come out of his 2nd retirement (the one where he resigned for like an hour) so he could have a chance to win a superbowl. Those two butted heads constantly, and lets be honest... they didn't like each other, but how did he convince him to stay? because he is passionate, and cares enough to swallow his own pride.

He also convinced Cris Carter to come play for Miami. If a big FA isn't sure which way to go, i like having Marino in my corner to help bring him in.

the naysaysers can put this in their tea and drink it. Dan marino is as classy as Don Shula and maybe even more! that is why he is a good man to have for this organization! He was a dolphin to the end! He was the greatest player to ever wear a fin uni. He knows how to talk to people. He knows everyone in this organization top to bottom. He has a friggin statue of him in the locker room and outside the damn stadium! I think all you idiots in Miami should now try to get a highway named after him. what the hell are you waiting for!

NOBODY CARES MORE THAN DAN MARINO ABOUT THE MIAMI DOLPHINS!

Buddy just sent me this in email:

POSTED 10:07 p.m. EST, January 12, 2004

MORE DETAILS ON MIAMI'S NEW FRONT OFFICE

We'll admit that we were a bit harsh on Monday when we questioned the sanity and sobriety of the folks who put Dan Marino in charge of the football operations in Miami. After gathering more information regarding the stunning move, however, we're ready to reverse course and give the organization a thumb's up for the overall restructuring of the front office.

The new format places Marino in charge of the football operations, with both Rick Spielman and coach Dave Wannstedt reporting to Marino. Spielman has been promoted to G.M., and he'll be responsible for all personnel decisions.

Though there are rumblings that Marino will serve as the tiebreaker between Wannstedt and Spielman when it comes to picking, dumping, and/or drafting players, we're hearing that Spielman will indeed have final say when it comes to personnel. The goal, however, will be to create an environment in which Spielman, Wannstedt, and Marino work together to identify Wannstedt's needs on the roster -- and to fill them appropriately.

One of our readers opined in an e-mail message that the appointment of Marino might have been intended to obfuscate the fact that Spielman now holds the juice when it comes to personnel, even though he's on the same rung of the ladder as Wannstedt, who previously stood one step higher than Spielman.

We doubt that owner Wayne Huizenga's plan was so elaborate, given the revelation that Marino has been pushing for some type of a front-office gig for a while. We also hear that Marino has been doing his homework of late, spending time at the facility and gathering information on the workings of the front office.

So, in hindsight, it looks like Huizenga hasn't handed the power to another Matt Millen (and that's a very good thing). Coupled with the strong public face that Marino puts on the franchise and his ability to help recruit a generation or so of free agents who grew up watching him fire bullets all over the field, the end result gives the Dolphins a framework for long-term success.

But there still will be some short-term tweaking. We're hearing that offensive coordinator Norv Turner likely won't be retained. We've heard nothing at this point about potential replacements.

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

We'll admit that we were a bit harsh on Monday when we questioned the sanity and sobriety of the folks who put Dan Marino in charge of the football operations in Miami. After gathering more information regarding the stunning move, however, we're ready to reverse course and give the organization a thumb's up for the overall restructuring of the front office.

The new format places Marino in charge of the football operations, with both Rick Spielman and coach Dave Wannstedt reporting to Marino. Spielman has been promoted to G.M., and he'll be responsible for all personnel decisions.

Though there are rumblings that Marino will serve as the tiebreaker between Wannstedt and Spielman when it comes to picking, dumping, and/or drafting players, we're hearing that Spielman will indeed have final say when it comes to personnel. The goal, however, will be to create an environment in which Spielman, Wannstedt, and Marino work together to identify Wannstedt's needs on the roster -- and to fill them appropriately.

One of our readers opined in an e-mail message that the appointment of Marino might have been intended to obfuscate the fact that Spielman now holds the juice when it comes to personnel, even though he's on the same rung of the ladder as Wannstedt, who previously stood one step higher than Spielman.

We doubt that owner Wayne Huizenga's plan was so elaborate, given the revelation that Marino has been pushing for some type of a front-office gig for a while. We also hear that Marino has been doing his homework of late, spending time at the facility and gathering information on the workings of the front office.

So, in hindsight, it looks like Huizenga hasn't handed the power to another Matt Millen (and that's a very good thing). Coupled with the strong public face that Marino puts on the franchise and his ability to help recruit a generation or so of free agents who grew up watching him fire bullets all over the field, the end result gives the Dolphins a framework for long-term success.

But there still will be some short-term tweaking. We're hearing that offensive coordinator Norv Turner likely won't be retained. We've heard nothing at this point about potential replacements.

Damn! that would be news! norv leaves town! wanny fired, Nick Saben Hired! wahoooooo!:lol:

I'm still somewhat stunned...

I thought the threads announcing it were bogus, joking and that each post would have the :jk: smiley in them.

I have to defer to the optimist in me, after the initial shock and disappointment of a substantially "status quo" non-change.

Wanny lives and dies by the defense first Mantra. He's been replaced at the head by a man who always believed that offense was all you needed. A man who has learned by experience that being great at what you do doesn't make your team great, necessarily. A man who now knows you need an offense, defense and ST (though that may only be grudgingly conceded by most after watching the Colts consumate performance against the donkeys and chefs).

Marino brings an offense led philosophy to a team without an offense to speak of. That can only be applauded. Speilman is highly reguarded and would have been GM elsewhere if not here.
Wanny is thought by some NFL commentators to have exceeded expectations with the dross some call an O-line this past season. Maybe, just maybe, we now have a balanced front-office. One can only hope that this translates into a balanced roster and team.

I am not ready to believe until I have more facts - after seeing the changes that are made in the off-season. But I have hope at least, that Marino will now get a shot at the ring his critics say mean he isn't great. He is great. Let's get him the ring.
:o

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

just had to tweak that a little bit....;)

Losing Norv is a bad idea IMO.........the "source" might be right.....Marino has ALOT of influence....expecially now with the new title........

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
I can't understand this. How can anyone believe Marino would accept the job just be the pretty girls in a magic act?

1)No one said Dan KNEW how powerless his position would be.
2)It's a LOT of money AND prestige.

Originally posted by finfan54
Dan marino is as classy as Don Shula and maybe even more!
You obviously haven't met both on several occassions.

If there is one statement that's so wrong in any board, this is it.

Originally posted by justafan
You obviously haven't met both on several occassions.

If there is one statement that's so wrong in any board, this is it.

Shula is an awesome human being.....I have met him countless times.....a great guy.....so you mean marino?

Comparing Marino to Millen is wrong and right.

Millen isn't that bad a GM. He did what us Miami fans have been asking for. He brought in a good coach and young strong arm QB. And he's making upgrades all over his roster.

His only downfall is he says things to the media that shouldn't be said. I don't think Dan will make that mistake. He's been closer to both sides of the media then M Millen and IMO is a smarter guy.

Originally posted by Section126

Shula is an awesome human being.....I have met him countless times.....a great guy.....so you mean marino?
I meant that to imply that Marino has equal to more class than Marino. Not only is Shula is one of the classiest coach I've met but as a person as well. Marino is an a$$ outside of football.

Back
Top Bottom