why is everyone down on rodgers?

nolefin

thank you
Joined
Jul 31, 2004
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
6
Age
40
Location
nashville,TN
why is everyone saying smith is so much better than rodgers? to me rodgers looks like he is going to be great, he is got great feet and is very accurate and imo he is a better pure passer than smith i would not be mad if we took him.
 

ohall

A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.
Finheaven VIP
Joined
Jan 16, 2002
Messages
28,969
Reaction score
583
Age
49
Location
Orlando, Fl.
I see both QB's is equal or very close. so close that their success in the NFL is going to depend heavily on their coaching and the talent that will surround them.

I don't think this a Manning/Leaf type of situation.
 

svnrdr

Scout Team
Joined
Dec 24, 2004
Messages
432
Reaction score
0
Location
Finheaven
rickysux said:
why is everyone saying smith is so much better than rodgers? to me rodgers looks like he is going to be great, he is got great feet and is very accurate and imo he is a better pure passer than smith i would not be mad if we took him.
I think SF is pumping Alex Smith to try to bolster their #1 draft position. Yes the combines and workouts are one thing, but it is what the player accomplished thus far in his college career that is the true test of his abilities.



Rogers has been better than Smith and fits into SF’s system better…and who knows, our interest in Smith may be a smokescreen to get the response we ARE getting from the 9ers.
 

HybridPHIN 23

the N E W Dolphilbins
Joined
Aug 11, 2004
Messages
4,615
Reaction score
6
Location
Jupiter FL
I've been asking the same question.........

I think it's because Saban isnt even pretending to be interested in him. That's why phinfans could care less about him. But if you ask most football experts they'd say Rodgers is the better choice.

Most assume the 49ers would be silly to take Smith over Rodgers so people really arent even considering him because he appears to be the most likely 1st pick.
 

sports24/7

Bleeder of Aqua and Orange
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
3,146
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Location
Miami
I don't know either. Personally I like Rogers more, but after hearing that all of these GM' are in love with Smith maybe, he is better. From what I understand Smith has a huge upside. Rogers though to me has no weaknesses. The only ones I have heard are he is not big enough, which isn't a big deal because he measured in at a legit 6'2; He is too mechanical, which is stupid to me and really isnt a negative; and his coach, which is a bunch of garbage. So if we end up with Rogers I would be more than happy, and he would have a chance to start right away.
 

DonShula84

Sporty Don
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
13,501
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Location
Long Beach, Ca
ohall said:
I see both QB's is equal or very close. so close that their success in the NFL is going to depend heavily on their coaching and the talent that will surround them.

I don't think this a Manning/Leaf type of situation.
Damnit we agree again
 

CrunchTime

FinHeaven Elite
Joined
May 29, 2004
Messages
17,048
Reaction score
0
ohall said:
I see both QB's is equal or very close. so close that their success in the NFL is going to depend heavily on their coaching and the talent that will surround them.

I don't think this a Manning/Leaf type of situation.
Thats the crux of it.I dont think we can go wrong with either one of them other than the typical 2-3 yrs growing pains involved.They are both intelligent and have the tools.I was an opponent of the Rodgers pick because I thought he was short but 6'2" is big enough for the NFL IMO.
 

Aqua

Scout Team
Joined
Aug 29, 2002
Messages
329
Reaction score
0
Location
Delray Beach, FL
It's tough to sift through all the BS but I really believe that if Rodgers doesn't get picked by San Francisco he may slip all the way into the teens. I certainly hope we don't wind up with this guy because he is very far from a sure thing.

On factor may be his lack of mobility and lateral quickness. If you have neither as an NFL QB you better have a great release and a very strong arm neither of which Rodgers has.
 

MarinoEqualsGod

The man, the myth, the legend
Joined
Aug 19, 2004
Messages
3,456
Reaction score
30
Age
38
Location
Illinois
ohall said:
I see both QB's is equal or very close. so close that their success in the NFL is going to depend heavily on their coaching and the talent that will surround them.

I don't think this a Manning/Leaf type of situation.
People forget that a lot of "experts" thought Leaf should have been picked first, instead of Manning. It's a crap shoot sometimes when it comes to QB's in the draft.
 

ohall

A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.
Finheaven VIP
Joined
Jan 16, 2002
Messages
28,969
Reaction score
583
Age
49
Location
Orlando, Fl.
MarinoEqualsGod said:
People forget that a lot of "experts" thought Leaf should have been picked first, instead of Manning. It's a crap shoot sometimes when it comes to QB's in the draft.
If I remember correctly the knock on Manning was he didn't have as strong an arm as Leaf, but he was more polished. The knock on Leaf was he was not as polished as Manning but he had a canon for an arm.

Again I don't think this year will end up being a Manning/Leaf hit or bust situation, but both situations seem similar to me

Rodgers has a stronger arm, and has played in a system where he actually took the ball from under the center, but he is not as mobile as Smith and he is not very tall for an NFL QB.

Smith played in a system that was geared for quick fast strikes with the QB taking all of his snaps from the shotgun, but Smith does not have the same arm strength as Rodgers.
 

Ozzy

Premium Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2002
Messages
5,405
Reaction score
2
Location
Miami FLA
ohall said:
If I remember correctly the knock on Manning was he didn't have as strong an arm as Leaf, but he was more polished. The knock on Leaf was he was not as polished as Manning but he had a canon for an arm.

Again I don't think this year will end up being a Manning/Leaf hit or bust situation, but both situations seem similar to me

Rodgers has a stronger arm, and has played in a system where he actually took the ball from under the center, but he is not as mobile as Smith and he is not very tall for an NFL QB.

Smith played in a system that was geared for quick fast strikes with the QB taking all of his snaps from the shotgun, but Smith does not have the same arm strength as Rodgers.
Well put, and let me add that Rogers has shown, so far, to be incredibly accurate.
 

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
5,049
Reaction score
1
Age
32
Location
England
tedford... and I don't like his height.

Both Smith and Rodgers are potential franchise QBs.
 
Top Bottom