Why is everyone so excited about Whitehurst? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everyone so excited about Whitehurst?

I didn't think "everyone was so excited about him"??? :confused:

Im not personally as high on him as everyone else, but sometimes stats dont tell everything, its how accurate is he, how much arm strength, how he carries himself on the field

A lot of people have great seasons but lack these things, some people have these things but struggle in their system

I also agree that its very foolish to judge talent by stats.

Whitehurst is helping himself. According to ESPN Insider:

There were reports that Clemson QB Charlie Whitehurst would not work out at this year's combine, but that was not the case. At 6-4½ and 223 pounds, Whitehurst showed up in good shape and put on the most impressive passing display of any of the quarterbacks not named Cutler. Whitehurst's performance will help his cause as he competes with Alabama's Brodie Croyle and Bowling Green's Omar Jacobs in the competition for the fourth quarterback in this year's draft class.

Here is the link: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2346494

Name one QB starting in the NFL right now who is any good that put up crappy stats in college.

TAK said:
Name one QB starting in the NFL right now who is any good that put up crappy stats in college.

John Elway

SpeedRush99 said:
John Elway

1979 - 50 completions, 96 attempts, 52.1%, 544 yards, 6 TDs, 3 int.

1980 - 248 completions, 379 attempts, 65.4%, 2,889 yards, 27 TDs, 11 int.

1981 - 214 completions, 366 attempts, 58.4%, 2,674 yards, 20 TDs, 13 int.

1982 - 262 completions, 405 attempts, 64.6%, 3,242 yards, 24 TDs, 12 int.

Total - 774 completions, 1,246 attempts, 62.1%, 9,349 yards, 77 TDs, 39 int.

Hardly crappy.

See what I mean there isn't a person who put up crappy stats like Whitehurst's who has been successful in the NFL that I know of.

Cant find any stats on him

But I dont think Hasselbeck had a stellar college career, neither did Jeff Garcia to my knowledge

TAK said:
He had only one decent year where he threw for 21 TDs and 13 INTs.

The past two years he has thrown for a combined 18 TDs and 27 INTs. Those are far from stellar numbers.

more stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=116343

So whats the deal with him?

I don't think many are overly high on him. The TDs-INTs is what keeps him from 1rst round consideration as it should be. But his size, arm strength, and potential is why he's condsidered amoung the 2nd group of QBs with Green, Croyle, & Gradkowski. These guys will go in 2nd-4th rounds and think some teams won't have made a decision between them even by draft day.

Edit: I have no idea where Green came from when I was typing, Omar Jacobs was the guy I should have put in there.

Back
Top Bottom