Why is everyone so excited about Whitehurst? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everyone so excited about Whitehurst?

Eshlemon said:
I don't think many are overly high on him. The TDs-INTs is what keeps him from 1rst round consideration as it should be. But his size, arm strength, and potential is why he's condsidered amoung the 2nd group of QBs with Green, Croyle, & Gradkowski. These guys will go in 2nd-4th rounds and think some teams won't have made a decision between them even by draft day.

Green?

I wouldn't put Gradkowski in the 2nd group. He's more like the 3rd group, 6th round+.

SpeedRush99 said:
Green?

I wouldn't put Gradkowski in the 2nd group. He's more like the 3rd group, 6th round+.

Yes, I like Gradkowski a lot. Is extemely accurate but has good arm strength. Has constantly made plays over four years as starter at Toledo. But don't think anyone should belittle QBs from the MAC anymore. Teams and me might be concerned about size, but is bigger than Croyle (at least pre-combine, haven't seen all combine numbers). Did see at combine he was fastest and most athletic QB...but that isn't a big thing for me with QBs. Frye went in the 3rd last year and IMO, Gradkowski's better. Would be very surprised if Gradkowski lasts past the 4th round.

Eshlemon said:
Yes, I like Gradkowski a lot. Is extemely accurate but has good arm strength. Has constantly made plays over four years as starter at Toledo. But don't think anyone should belittle QBs from the MAC anymore. Teams might be concerned about size, but is bigger than Croyle (at least pre-combine, haven't seen all combine numbers). Did see at combine he was fastest and most athletic QB...but that isn't a big thing for me with QBs. Frye went in the 3rd last year and IMO, Gradkowski's better. Would be very surprised if Gradkowski lasts past the 4th round.

Maybe. He was far from the most athletic.

Who is Green?

Eshlemon said:
Yes, I like Gradkowski a lot. Is extemely accurate but has good arm strength. Has constantly made plays over four years as starter at Toledo. But don't think anyone should belittle QBs from the MAC anymore. Teams might be concerned about size, but is bigger than Croyle (at least pre-combine, haven't seen all combine numbers). Did see at combine he was fastest and most athletic QB...but that isn't a big thing for me with QBs. Frye went in the 3rd last year and IMO, Gradkowski's better. Would be very surprised if Gradkowski lasts past the 4th round.

Small, no arm or accuracy past 15 yards. WCO or bust for him. Frye has better pro measurables than Gradowski and didn't play in a dinky dunk offense that Toledo runs.

TAK said:
He had only one decent year where he threw for 21 TDs and 13 INTs.

The past two years he has thrown for a combined 18 TDs and 27 INTs. Those are far from stellar numbers.

more stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=116343

So whats the deal with him?

What do u mean by "so excited"? I think most of us see a good prospect in the 3rd-4th rd. He has prototype size and arm strength. He also had a shoulder injury last season that limited his effectiveness, so some of us justifiably feel he would be a bargain as a late 1st day or early 2nd day pick.
I wouldn't exactly classify my sentiments as being "excited".
I don't believe anyone has posted a message claiming Whitehurst to be the next Dolphin HOF QB or hoping that we pick him in rd 1 or rd 2.

SpeedRush99 said:
Maybe. He was far from the most athletic.

Who is Green?

Green was a mistake I edited, for some reason I typed Green instead of the guy I meant was Omar Jacobs.

Yes, overstated that. But wouldn't say the fastest QB at the combine in his pool is "far from the most athletic". But like I said, this doesn't matter to me but it might to some other team.

marino had more INTs than TDs his senior year at pitt... and we saw what happened with that...

arsenal said:
marino had more INTs than TDs his senior year at pitt... and we saw what happened with that...

But he had a stellar junior year, and wasn't there a change in systems or some other factor that weight heavily on that senior year? Obviously the season wasn't bad enough to bump him out of the first round so I don't think he strengthens that argument much.

I think Whitehurst is a Chris Simms-type prospect. Two very physically talented players, who for one reason or another, were complete underachievers in college.

With the right coaching, Simms is starting to look like a solid NFL starter. I suspect Whitehurst can do the same, in the right situation.

But I'd still take Croyle and Jacobs over him.

SpeedRush99 said:
I didn't think "everyone was so excited about him"??? :confused:

they are excited. especially after the SB game everyone was talking about him but apparently didnt realize he didnt hit on receiver on the spot or in stride. he is a GUS

LIQUID24 said:
I think Whitehurst is a Chris Simms-type prospect. Two very physically talented players, who for one reason or another, were complete underachievers in college.

With the right coaching, Simms is starting to look like a solid NFL starter. I suspect Whitehurst can do the same, in the right situation.

But I'd still take Croyle and Jacobs over him.

Agreed, but to me that would fall under "at best". Personally I think he'll be more of a Sage type of player, a guy who'll come in and help you out when needed, but just not starter material. Of course this is just my opinion...who know what'll happen. Gotta love the draft! :D

Cutler doesnt exactly have the greatest stats either.

Whitehurst and Cutler are very alike in many ways. Both played in less than stellar schools and had to force a lot of throws.

I think one of the biggest reasons people are down on Whitehurst is because he had higher expectations as college QB than Cutler did. Cutler practically came out of nowhere this past season. Everybody expected Whitehurst to build on his good sophomore season, but he has been up and down ever since.

Some say its because he played under different offensive coordinators every year he was there.

Whitehurst has everything it takes to become a good NFL QB IMO. He has the prototypical size and weight. He also has a strong arm (when healed). He looked better than Cutler in the senior bowl and from what Ive heard hung right up there with him in the combines.

Im hoping the Fins take him in the 2nd or 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom