Why is Preston Williams returning kicks? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is Preston Williams returning kicks?

It is the most curious thing on this team right now, the kid is close to being our #1 talent on the O, why are we risking injury there ?

It is the most curious thing on this team right now, the kid is close to being our #1 talent on the O, why are we risking injury there ?

I think our coaches have that same mentality that some few on here have expressed that he is an undrafted rookie but of course everyone can already see he is the best WR on the team. If our coaches arent clueless then they have noticed. So our coaches are either negligent or oblivious in this instance. A lose lose situation for us. Let us hope this wont be a trend but this is just like the Minkah and Bobby McCain situations. Mismanagement of player personnel.

The Tyreek Hill comparison is not a good one.

First, Hill has been hurt this year. Second, Hill has a ton of return TDS, even past his rookie year. So coach Reid used him there. Third, Preston does not have that clout yet.

He’s getting better and I love the upside. But he absolutely does not have Hill’s resume.

The better argument against is that his body type generally does not return punts.

Look at our coaching staff, and where they come from. NE best offensive player has been Julian Edelman over the past few years and he’s returned plenty of punts. Team obviously feels he has the most trust worthy hands fielding the ball and that’s why he’s back there. Jakeem has had issues his entire career fielding punts, and even though he’s improved he is still not super reliable. Preston had a muffed one today, and he is developed into our top WR, I’d like to see us get Albert Wilson in there for punts myself. Side note: Preston being a 6’5” WR who has shown the ability to return punts and has actually been very good at it, just shows how special of a player he’s gonna be

I have been ranting about this in VIP chat every week. Forst off he is your top offensive weapon. Second he is 6'5 and while he is fine at returning punts he isn't great at it.
Activate Laird of Gaskins to do it, hell let hurns or Ford do it. Make Jakeem do it, or try Ballage. Not your best weapon.
The risk reward was always too high with Preston back there, and if he has structural damage they just stunted the growth of their best young player for a couple yards on a punt return on a 1-7 team.

Out for the damn season

I dont care what anyone says, this coaching staff has made some questionable calls and this is definitely one of them. (Having Preston Williams return kicks)

Another mismanaged player by this staff. Gase had Landry and Ajayi and othera. Flores and Grier have Minkah, Kenny Stills, and Preston Williams so far.

^ That one is going to set some of you off.

People need to stop with this why is this player on the football field? Because he's a damn football player..what the hell!

Wrong. Williams should not be returning punts unless he’s out there for his hands to just fair catch it. Nothing more. He’s not a PR type of player.

Your opinion and that's from a couch.
Clearly, the coaching staff, that seen the player up close, thought otherwise.

I wouldn't have had him returning punts, personally, because imho he isn't suited for it. But Deion Sanders returned punts. OJ McDuffie returned kicks. Terry Kirby returned kicks.

Well Preston is leading the league in yards per punt return :shrug:

Which makes those saying he doesn't have the skillset look that much sillier. How do you not hae the skillset and lead the entire league?

Come on! It's unfortunate and star players bigger than P.WIlliams have done it.

Back
Top Bottom