Why it might make sense to draft Matt Ryan...even if you don't want him | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why it might make sense to draft Matt Ryan...even if you don't want him

MonstBlitz

Starter
Reaction score
This has been touched on in other topics, but I thought it was worthy of it's own thread.

Last year Brady Quinn was considered a high enough prospect that the Cleveland Browns were willing to trade their 2nd round pick and this year's first round pick to move up to grab him. I think we can all agree that Matt Ryan will be just as sought after in this year's draft, probably much moreso, than Brady Quinn in last year's draft. The reason teams aren't clamoring to trade with us now is they are banking on the fact that we won't take him. Teams, especially Atlanta think they can get him for free by waiting. So why not snag him with the first pick and offer a trade to teams similar to last year's scenario. We get their 1rst round pick and a 1rst next year. Depending on who was willing to deal we might be able to grab one of the Long's and next year's number 1 pick, as opposed to the other scenario where we only get 1 of the Longs. If a team further down the board traded with us, then maybe Brohm would be the choice. Beside the obvious benefit of an extra 1st rounder next year, we would also be able to cheer for that team to do really bad to get a better pick in next year's draft.

Admittedly, there might be some factors that would make this scenario unlikely, such as us ending up having to keep Ryan and him finding out we were trying to deal him as soon as we picked him. Can't imagine that would be good for moral. But it's something to think about.

For the record, I still hope we draft Matt Ryan and keep him! :up:

Back
Top Bottom