Why JAY CAN'T be our starter next year!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why JAY CAN'T be our starter next year!!

Phins34

Favorite Player: Sammy Smith
Reaction score
For the few of you who think we can win with Jay as our QB as long as our line gets better and Ricky runs better. Everyone looks at the season we had 2 years ago where our offense looked pretty good and Ricky ran wild. Thinking that all we need is to get Ricky back to where he was and we can win. But, most of us were deceived by that. I will explain.
While Ricky was in New Orleans, he was a mediocre back at best and was injured every year he was there. He definitely did not live up to the hype of a heisman trophy running back who broke the NCAA record for yards. So when he was traded to Miami, most other teams had been overlooking Ricky Williams as just a solid back, and not as much as THE person you have to stop to beat the dolphins. Because of this, there was a lot of pressure off of ricky and his was able to run wild. Yes, our Oline was not as banged up then as it was last year. But, after the 1853 yard season he pulled he became recognized as the premeir back in the league and the formula for stopping the Miami Dolphins. This caused teams to just load the box and destroy ricky whenever he had a chance to bust out of the front line. They then put the pressure on Jay to take the pressure off of Ricky which definitely was not going to work for the dolphins and was a successful gameplan to beating the phins all season.
It's not as if Jay was a better QB 2 years ago, or that Ricky was a better back 2 years ago, it has to do with how teams attacked the dolphins. And after the 1853 yard season + Jay Fiedler as out QB, it was a no brainer how to stop us.
If Jay is our QB next yeat, teams will prepare for us the same exact way as last year and it will be hell for ricky and all of us fans one more year, because Jay does not have the skills to put a whole passing game on his shoulders. Jay needs ricky to run wild in order for him to be successful, but if teams continue to stack the box it will never happen.
Now, if we actually get a threatening QB who can be dangerous in the passing game teams will have no choice but to cover the pass which will open up lanes for ricky to run, as well as make the Oline look like they are doing a much better job...which they would be when there is less people to block. I hope I made sense.

That is precisely why i think JF could start out the season (when we are running a new offense anyways) since we win mostly in spetember anyways and off the bench comes the rook, Phillips once Jay gets hurt again.
Now, i would rather see jay gone but we may not have that luxury. it all depends on what JF does with his contract IMO. we will see a clearer picture in the next few weeks.

As you may have noticed we didn't do very well in September last year for precisely this reason. The pressure has to be off of Ricky and the only way it will happen is with a better QB

We will not have a scary enough offense with Fiedler it is simple as that. Williams will not get that many yards with a good line because the defenders will know what to do.

exactly my point Noland. We could have Walter Payton as our back, but as long as Fiedler is the QB teams will stack the box and no RB will be able to have success. Ricky getting 1300 yards last season was an amazing feat and shows jsut how good he is because of the way teams attacked us.

A perfect example of this is the Carolina Panthers. To me, the Panthers are almost and exact carbon copy of the Dolphins. A great defense, and a strong running game. The one difference is with the QB. People may look at Delhome and just see him as an average QB. Yes, he has average QB skills but what makes him leaops and bounds better than Fiedler is his poise. In the 4th quarter whenever the game has to be put in delhomes hands, he made smart decisions and accurate throws to win. Now, Fiedler on the other hand in the same situation will run around like a putz throw the ball down field and it will be intercepted and the game will be over. If Fiedler had the decision making ability as Delhome we could have easily been in the super bowl. Fact of the matter is that Jay doesn't and we need to upgrade our QB position ASAP because Ricky is taking a hell of a beating and who knows how long he will be able to play at this level.

I think we are cursed. When we had a great QB we never get the RB we need (Marino). And when we have the great running back we need, we have a sorry QB (Fiedler). Since this seem to be a pattern, dont expect a good QB change until ricky retires or an injury prevents him from playing again

I will tell you why Jake was successfull and there running game. It was his first year starting people did'nt know how to take him he surprised a couple of teams which made the defenders lay off and the running game burned them. Kind of like Fiedlers first year people did'nt know how to take him and the defenders got burned by L. Smith of all people. But I think Jake is better though but he will have a harder time next year people will know how to defend him. That is why our offense has'nt did much since then and that is why we have missed the playoffs people know the one thing they got to do to beat us stop Ricky just like Phins34 said. If you has a St. Louis Rams kind of offense you will score that is what we need.

Now if we had Barry Sanders in his prime in the back field we could score with Gary Coleman as QB Barry did things with a bad qb and Oline but he had some good WR's. Who was the qb's when he was there?

Originally posted by Phins34
A perfect example of this is the Carolina Panthers. To me, the Panthers are almost and exact carbon copy of the Dolphins. A great defense, and a strong running game. The one difference is with the QB. People may look at Delhome and just see him as an average QB. Yes, he has average QB skills but what makes him leaops and bounds better than Fiedler is his poise. In the 4th quarter whenever the game has to be put in delhomes hands, he made smart decisions and accurate throws to win. Now, Fiedler on the other hand in the same situation will run around like a putz throw the ball down field and it will be intercepted and the game will be over. If Fiedler had the decision making ability as Delhome we could have easily been in the super bowl. Fact of the matter is that Jay doesn't and we need to upgrade our QB position ASAP because Ricky is taking a hell of a beating and who knows how long he will be able to play at this level.

yep, JF in the MNF game against Denver 2002...voted best game of the year.....yeah he looked REALLY frazzled and lost....definitely didn't help us win that one at all (oh yeah....Ricky wasn't with us then either....or the year before that (two 11-5 seasons.....since....we're 9-7, 10-6....) gee...maybe Ricky's the problem (ahh...kidding)....or maybe the coaching is playing too much into the running game......

Not to be argumentative but JF, while no one here thinks (at least i don't think so) is a great QB he can be good enough to get us to win.

Again, this team is focused on a highly paid defense to shut down opposing team's offense's and HIGHLY paid QB.....and allow our mediocre offense to go after a mediocre defense and win the game.....if you want a 10-15mill a year QB....say goodbye to our defense. You can't have it both ways and some will never be happy. People / focus / game plans change as the roster, talent, and money does. We are what we are. We just need to adjust the offense a bit and we should be ok.....i.e. a solid #2 WR, 1-2 guys for the Oline and add some guys for depth and if we can (hoping) get a good future QB to start training.

A perfect example of this is the Carolina Panthers. To me, the Panthers are almost and exact carbon copy of the Dolphins. A great defense, and a strong running game. The one difference is with the QB.

There's another, much larger difference. The offensive line. Carolina's OL is pretty impressive.

As you may have noticed we didn't do very well in September last year for precisely this reason. The pressure has to be off of Ricky and the only way it will happen is with a better QB

A 3-1 September wasn't exactly chopped liver. Losing 3 outta 4 in midseason is what did this team in. But concerning Jay, there isn't a whole lot out the better than him, unless the FO is willing to overpay for Brunell, which I hope they don't due. The ideal plan for me is to draft Rivers, start Jay, get out to a 4-2/5-1 start before his injury, and then give the reigns to the rook

And if JF doesn't get hurt? Oh, wait, he always gets hurt. I say play Sage or hopefully we draft Rivers and play him.

Carolina's OL was much better than ours, but our D was much better than theirs I think. More big play ability, and they played lights out all year except for like 2 games. Carolina's D also had a lapse against the Titans like us, but overall our D did a better job limiting other teams' scoring throughout the year.

So honestly I think those balance each other out and the real difference was the QBs. One thing that the Panthers were able to do is stretch the field with Muhsin and Steve goin deep and catchin some nice deep throws by Delhomme, who tied for 8th in the NFL in big pass plays of 25 yards or more. Delhomme had 26 of them, Fiedler had 16 of them. Griese probably had like 2 heh.

And as for the blocking on the OL yeah on the one hand the Panthers blocked the run a lot better than us but on the other hand, teams had to respect both the run and pass with them unlike us so run blocking was easier to accomplish for that line. They also had the benefit of two really good running threats in Foster and Davis to give them a chance on any type of run play. As for the pass protection well you wont hear me lauding the Panthers pass protection. One of the reasons Delhomme immediately won the start in the first game was because he doesn't take sacks, lot like Fiedler. That said Peete was sacked 3 times in 13 dropbacks in that first game against Jacksonville, and Delhomme came in got sacked twice more. He got sacked 4 times against Tennessee, 5 times against the Giants, and 3 times against the Colts. He fumbled the ball 15 times this season because he was under fire so much. Todd Steussie, their starting LT allowed about 10 sacks this season, which isn't much off from Wade Smith's allowing 12 sacks. BTW Steussie also had 8 penalties to Smith's none so one COULD argue that Smith even had the better year. Basically what I'm tryin to say is that their pass protection was very streaky, like ours. But their ability to pass it downfield to their big and fast targets, was really the difference that kept the safeties off their RBs, unlike us.

Back
Top Bottom