Why look at Vince Young? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why look at Vince Young?

Riftur

Demon
Reaction score
I keep hearing that we are looking at Vince Young. Is this really a possibility? What would we have to do to move so far up in the draft to beable to draft this guy? Do you really think Saban would give up so much? If he is trying to play mind games what could it possibly be he is trying to do? Young is far to high in the draft for him to matter to us unless saban is going to move up in the draft for some other player. What do you all think?

He might be had at 16. His draft stock is falling considerably. I doubt that he would go at 16, more like 9-12 range. I don't want him anyways.

Some NFL scouts reportedly believe quarterback Vince Young won't be among the top 10 picks in the NFL draft on April 29.
-- Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

Saban likes to evaluate a player and gather all info for this year and keep the info for 4 year in case the player becomes a free agent.

I heard last night from ADAM SCHEFTER that Vince Young as of right now could go to the Titans at #3. Not sure why they would pass up Matt Leinart but that is what he said.

Maybe Nick is looking at him in an attempt to get him to play the position he should be playing, wide receiver. When Nick recruited Vince, he tried to convince him to play wide receiver.

Why not. Players fall and rise all the time and Vince Young might do the free falling this year. Not say that he will but why not look at him anyways.

Or maybe if he does fall to 16, Saban wants to look interested so another team will get desperate and trade up with the Dolphins for him

KB21 said:
Maybe Nick is looking at him in an attempt to get him to play the position he should be playing, wide receiver. When Nick recruited Vince, he tried to convince him to play wide receiver.

Saban loves versatile game changing explosive players.

Young fits that category.Why wouldnt Saban be interested in him ....as long as he is willing to play in the right position which is............

And who expected Aaron Rodgers to fall to the Pack? If we sign a back-up such as Harrington, we will need to be looking tow-three years down the road when the back-up either ages or moves on. Young would be ready then.

For me and the reasons listed above I am hoping we draft Omar Jacobs but Vince young would not make me unhappy.

Pepper2Chambers said:
I heard last night from ADAM SCHEFTER that Vince Young as of right now could go to the Titans at #3. Not sure why they would pass up Matt Leinart but that is what he said.
I heard the samething last night

Eop05 said:
Or maybe if he does fall to 16, Saban wants to look interested so another team will get desperate and trade up with the Dolphins for him

That's exactly right. Saban is bringing in for workouts the top players at skill positions so that when DENVER finishes with the 15th pick at least 10 teams call him up to see what he'd want to trade down.

By feigning interest in a bunch of first round talent and by being active in FA and being able select BPA at #16 (at least that's the postion he's trying to project) that maximizes the possibility of a trade down which frankly, given the depth of this draft is the best thing the Dolphins can do.

In my opinion, giving up the #16 pick in exchange for a late first round pick (swap of picks) in addition to a Second Round pick and a Fifth Round pick sounds about right. That way we move back ten spaces, pick up Nick Mangold, get our second rounder and fifth rounder back and still manage to get value out of it.

We may trade out of the truly elite players, but we'd still get good players that would impact our team. Think of it this way, How many CHANNING CROWDER caliber players could this team use?

My contention is that once you're out of the top ten college players, picks #11 - 96 are a crapshoot and roughly (and arguably) even, depending on any given team's scheme.

We chose in the second round Matt Roth who might be great one day but so far hasn't done much, and then we chose in the third round Channing Crowder who has been spectacular. Roth went 32 picks earlier than CROWDER, but has he been 32 picks BETTER as a rookie than CROWDER? Nope. Like I said, one day he might come on but right now you'd have to say that CROWDER was the better player, all things considered. By trading down we're giving ourselves more opportunities to select another CROWDER. It's our best move.

By trading down we give ourselves a chance to not just two more players of CROWDER'S caliber, but four. Four guys like CROWDER, young and strong and resilient could put this team over the top. A big LB, a C, a speed WR and a CB could be the difference in winning 8 games or winning 12 games!

When your philosophy (SABAN'S) is all about building a team through the draft, 2 first day picks just won't cut it. Nick is trying to generate concern from about ten teams that their "guy" won't be there and that a trade up is the only way to go and secure the player they want.

Either way we'll be ok because I believe that Nick will indeed grab the BPA if we have no viable trade partner and frankly, I hope we grab SANTONIO HOLMES so that DAUNTE has a speed weapon on the outside to scare defenses and so that we can move CHAMBERS around on third down and really scare the crap out of Defensive Coordinators around the league. We just don't scare anyone if they can double CHAMBERS, but adding speed to the outside or in the slot will really open things up for us. BOOKER is a possesion guy and WELKER's speed is more about quickness, no safety fears that guy. CAMPBELL was out of football last year and for all we know won't even make the cut so, we can't BANK on him. A speed WR will make this offense GO, of that there is no doubt.

Still, having said that, I still hope we can trade down. I'll put my money on SABAN's and MUELLER's picks in the mid rounds over almost any other team's selections right now, including PITT and NE.

I believe that this year, my beloved PHINS are indeed going to be special.

CAN'T WAIT UNTIL DRAFT DAY!!

Go PHINS!!!

There are two reasons:
1) Concerns over Daunte not being the answer. Don't forget about his injuries
2) Smokescreen. Although I don't see why he would do this at 16 as much as he would at 2

Vince Young may need time to develop. Maybe Miami would be a good situation. If he doesn't work out you have Culpepper. If he does work out in a couple years you have options. I think Nick is just covering his bases in case a guy like Young really does fall to 16.

I highly doubt he is looking at him for any position other than QB. You don't waste a mid round pick on a QB that has never played WR before. Matt Jones was different because through the senior bowl and combine he showed he was capable. He was also never going to be drafted high as a QB. Young on the other hand won a national title in stunning fashion playing as QB.

Back
Top Bottom