Why Marino left - from one source | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Marino left - from one source

zach13

Mad Dog
Reaction score
I have heard from someone in the Dolphins organization that Marino left because he really wanted to get Brunell as the next QB of the Dolphins.

When it became clear that the Redskins were heavily pursuing Brunell, and that the Fins would not throw their hat in the ring, Dan became frustrated and left.

Again, this is from one source inside the organization, that does not necessarily mean it is true.

I just thought I would pass it along.

I'm not doubting you man. I just don't believe this source is correct. With everything we know now, it just doesn't add up.

Actually, no, the timing works out perfectly. The following passage is from ESPN:

"There were reports during Super Bowl week that the Dolphins would ardently pursue Brunell, either via trade or after he was released, but Redskins officials have been working with great stealth to complete his acquisition."

The Super Bowl was on Feb. 1, Marino quit on Feb 3rd.

What I heard is that Marino became frustrated during Super Bowl week when the Dolphins failed to stay in the hunt for Brunell, ceding him to the Redskins.

Again, I do not know if it is true.

Originally posted by zachseau13
I have heard from someone in the Dolphins organization that Marino left because he really wanted to get Brunell as the next QB of the Dolphins.

When it became clear that the Redskins were heavily pursuing Brunell, and that the Fins would not throw their hat in the ring, Dan became frustrated and left.

Again, this is from one source inside the organization, that does not necessarily mean it is true.

I just thought I would pass it along.

your title & the way you wrote it, is misleading. i doubt this is THE reason why.

even if FO tried harder to pursue MB, Synder would of still won out in the end. most if not all of us would of went crazy if FO paid that kinda $$$ on MB.

Originally posted by Muck
I'm not doubting you man. I just don't believe this source is correct. With everything we know now, it just doesn't add up.

gotta agree with you here. this doesnt add up. i think we will see the bigger picture as more things are leaked down the road.

Re: Re: Why Marino left - from one source

Originally posted by fins4o8

your title & the way you wrote it, is misleading. i doubt this is THE reason why.

Misleading how?

The reason i entitled it "Why Marino left - from one source"
was to qualify the story as being according to one source.

If I had merely entitled it "Why Marino left" I could see your point.

As it is, I do not.

If this is true, I'm not sure what more Dan thought we could have done. The Skins' 3rd rounder was higher than ours, and we weren't about to give up our 1st rounder. Add in the fact that the Skins never even let us talk to Brunell, and the whole thing is kind of a non-starter. It's not like we just sat on our hands.

Didn't the Skins enter the hunt AFTER Marino quit?

It doesn't add up.................

Although I can vouch for that they were thinking about Brunell since around week 15 of the season..........I know for a fact that he was priority number one....or at least that a NEW QB was priority number one.

What i heard from many places, was Huzienga hired Dan to a job that really was a made up position, and the reason he did this, was a Public relations move, he was hoping bringing back Dan into the organization would boost sales and tickets, and everytime Dan asked Wayne what his job entailed Huzienga never really gave him a straight answer, and Dan was taking it seriously and really wanted to have imput and when he realized he was really nothing more than a figure head with no real power he decided he wasent gonna bother, and if this is the truth, i dont blame him for leaving, i think its sad after all dan did for this organization wayne would come back and use him like this, its a joke IMO

Originally posted by Muck

What is it that "we know" ??

Originally posted by Section126
Didn't the Skins enter the hunt AFTER Marino quit?

No, read further up in the thread - the Skins were pursuing Brunell with "great stealth" even while it was being reported that it was Miami in the hunt for Brunell.

If that is the reason he left (and that is a big if), then that is pretty pathetic. I can't believe that he would quit because we didn't get a certain player. The Redskins had more money to spend and their draft picks were higher than ours. It would have been stupid to give up a first rounder for Brunell, and it would have been stupid to give Brunell the same amount of money that Washington did.

Back
Top Bottom