Why Marino left - from one source | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Marino left - from one source

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
Again, I ask: assuming this IS true, what did Marino expect us to do?

The impression I got is that this situation highlighted to Marino his lack of a clear role in decision-making. He wanted the Fins to aggressively pursue Brunell and they decided to back down.

He did not want to waste his time in a situation where he did not have the authority to make decisions.

Originally posted by zachseau13

The impression I got is that this situation highlighted to Marino his lack of a clear role in decision-making. He wanted the Fins to aggressively pursue Brunell and they decided to back down.

He did not want to waste his time in a situation where he did not have the authority to make decisions.

Sorry, zach ... I'm not buying what your source is selling. I don't think Marino would have been so high on Brunell that he would have wanted us mortgaging the future for him.

Originally posted by zachseau13

No, read further up in the thread - the Skins were pursuing Brunell with "great stealth" even while it was being reported that it was Miami in the hunt for Brunell.

If the Skins were pursuing Brunell with great stealth...then how in the world would Marino have found out about it.

The truth is that everyone at that time was expecting Brunell to get released.

And, we were never given permission to even speak to Brunell. And yes...we did make an offer.

Marino probably didn't realize how much he was giving up when he accepted the job.

Originally posted by PhinstiGator

If the Skins were pursuing Brunell with great stealth...then how in the world would Marino have found out about it.

The truth is that everyone at that time was expecting Brunell to get released.

And, we were never given permission to even speak to Brunell. And yes...we did make an offer.

Actually, it was reported, by ESPN, on February 10 that the Redskins already had most of the details of the trade worked out

"Sources said that many of the principal parameters of the trade, which would officially end Brunell's very productive nine-year tenure with the Jaguars, have been completed. They cautioned, however, there are some details on which the teams are still working. "

Here is a chronology:

Jan 7 - Gibbs joins Redskins
Super Bowl week - Dolphins reportedly top suitor for Brunell, actually it is the Skins
Feb 1 - Super Bowl, Marino reportedly having second thoughts
Feb 3 - Marino Quits

Feb 9 - it is reported that the Redskins have been pursuing Brunell
Feb 10 - ESPN reported that most of the details of the trade have been worked out (suggesting this has been in the works for some time)

It seems to me that the chronology fits very neatly.

However, that still does not mean it is true.

It's simple. Dan's a family man now and he was getting less money to work 12 hour days with no real authority.

Back
Top Bottom