Why McMillan was playing special teams, from Gase | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why McMillan was playing special teams, from Gase

“Because he was going to play it this year,” Gase said. “How many snaps at nickel are we going to play this year? We’re going to play 600-plus. We’re going to play 300 snaps at base, probably. He was going to play base. You’ve only got 46 guys on the roster that are going to play (on game day), so somebody has got to play it. We’re not just going to trot out eight guys because you can’t play any starters.”

I can see Gase's point about McMillian playing special teams during the regular season. However the question still remains why was he doing it during the preseason? Furthermore how many punts did Antonio brown field last preseason? Anyway, Some might say he was out there for practice, well then what is he doing during actual practice? How much practice does one actually need to run down and cover kicks anyway? No the truth was that he didn't need to be out there with 75 guys on the roster. Gase can sugar coat it however he wants but It was an unnecessary risk that back fired...big time.

I can see Gase's point about McMillian playing special teams during the regular season. However the question still remains why was he doing it during the preseason? Furthermore how many punts did Antonio brown field last preseason? Anyway, Some might say he was out there for practice, well then what is he doing during actual practice? No the truth was that he didn't need to be out there with 75 guys on the roster. Gaze can sugar coat it however he wants but It was an unnecessary risk that back fired...big time.
Bro he has to get game time action. You just don't get that at the rookie symposium in a bag to take home.

I can see Gase's point about McMillian playing special teams during the regular season. However the question still remains why was he doing it during the preseason? Furthermore how many punts did Antonio brown field last preseason? Anyway, Some might say he was out there for practice, well then what is he doing during actual practice? How much practice does one actually need to run down and cover kicks anyway? No the truth was that he didn't need to be out there with 75 guys on the roster. Gase can sugar coat it however he wants but It was an unnecessary risk that back fired...big time.
So you want him thrown into special teams week 1 without any preseason snaps? Bad move

Bro he has to get game time action. You just don't get that at the rookie symposium in a bag to take home.
I agree and if he was hurt playing base defense few would have complaints. It's the fact that he was covering kicks in the first preseason game which isn't really the game action he needs.

So you want him thrown into special teams week 1 without any preseason snaps? Bad move

That isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. It's stay in your lane, read and react. Not exactly and daunting as diagnosing a formation or a play

So if this was the 1st regular season game and McMillan got hurt this would make it more bearable?

I don't understand why ppl think not playing players during the pre-season is a course of action that would or could somehow prevent injuries.

I agree and if he was hurt playing base defense few would have complaints. It's the fact that he was covering kicks in the first preseason game which isn't really the game action he needs.
He is a rookie and new to the NFL he needs to get reps with his team mates, get used to the speed of the game. You can only suit up so many players on game day. If he doesn't play and gain valuable experience how is he to succeed when he is playing special teams and not allowing the opposing teams to run back for touchdowns?

Yep base only lbs play specials. And this is dumb anyways. He got pushed/blocked into a ball pursuing lacy with his leg at a bad angle.

It happens. rotten luck no doubt

And if it happened during the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pre-season game that would make it more logical? Honestly just exactly what are you saying? Don't play a 1st year rookie during the pre-season at all?

I think if you're going to play special teams in regular season it makes sense to play them some in preseason too. I just right it off by saying if McMillian didn't injure the knee on that play he would have likely injured it the first time he took a similar blow and that could have happened in this game or later/ on special teams or in the base defense. I'm sure if Tannehill had injured his knee during the game instead of during practice people would be saying it was because the coaching staff had him playing a few series in a meaningless preseason game, when the truth is Tannehill's knee was primed to be re-injured regardless.

And if it happened during the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pre-season game that would make it more logical? Honestly just exactly what are you saying? Don't play a 1st year rookie during the pre-season at all?

I guess I just disagree with playing your starting MLB on kick coverage. I don't remember seeing Zach do that. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just seems like a risky move at a very thin position. If anything throw hull and Hewitt out there.

Makes sense.

I must confess I was upset with Gase on Thursday because of this, but I think it was just my frustration over the unfortunate injury bug that's been plaguing us this preseason.

Losing Ryan and a week later losing Raekwon simply sucks.

Back
Top Bottom