Why optimism for the 2017 Miami Dolphins should be real | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why optimism for the 2017 Miami Dolphins should be real

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
629157984.0.jpg

Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

It happens every year. I get myself hyped up for the upcoming season. I look at the transactions made during Free Agency. I look at the draft, researching the other 3 teams as a comparison. I pre order the next installment of Madden with every intent of not butchering the team, taking that roster to the Super Bowl myself. Let's face it, we are all guilty of thinking that last aspect means we know a lot more about football than the current head coaches installed in a position we feel rightfully belonfs to us. The guy on the couch that knows what our team needs to do in order to win it all.
Thing is, for the first season since Jimmy Johnson was coach, I am willing to take pause to that assessment. Adam Gase has made me a believer. Much like he has done to the players he has taken charge of. He has ignited a passion and I believe we will see this team succeed.
https://www.thephinsider.com/2017/7...imism-for-this-upcoming-season-should-be-real

I'm hoping RT can prove his critics wrong. Admittedly, I've been all over the map with RT. I supported him early, but criticized him in 2015 and early 2016, believing he wasn't the answer.
As a Phins fan, seeing young QBs like Winston, Mariotta, Prescott and Carr all make the NFLs top 100 irks me.
Especially, Carr, as Philbin reportedly wanted to draft him and move on from RT.
I would hate to have to admit that Philbin was right.
The Phins have a very good roster and if they were starting the season with any of the above young QBs, I think the pundits would be much higher on this team. That really bothers me.
Rooting for RT to have a huge breakout year. Gase and RT will be the determining factors IMHO.

This really does feel different this year......but we shall see as the season is around the corner

I'm still so jaded b/c of the last 15-20 years that my optimism is always so guarded, especially when you consider New England will lose no more than 2 games this year.

I honestly don't know if I'll ever be fully confident that Miami will ever be good again long-term. It's the opposite of how I've felt about my Spurs the last 20 years. I've never once lost confidence they'd win 50+ games each year and make some noise in the playoffs (don't expect a title every year).

It's odd being a fan of seemingly two completely different teams with different expectations.

I'm hoping RT can prove his critics wrong. Admittedly, I've been all over the map with RT. I supported him early, but criticized him in 2015 and early 2016, believing he wasn't the answer.
As a Phins fan, seeing young QBs like Winston, Mariotta, Prescott and Carr all make the NFLs top 100 irks me.
Especially, Carr, as Philbin reportedly wanted to draft him and move on from RT.
The Phins have a very good roster and if they were starting the season with any of the above young QBs, I think the pundits would be much higher on this team. That really bothers me.
Rooting for RT to have a huge breakout year. Gase and RT will be the determining factors IMHO.

I'm in the same boat to be honest. I can tell you 2017 is it, perform like a good QB or we can draft one next year and cut him outright.

Queasy Joe was such a football moron that he called a timeout, on a 4th and long with time running out on the play clock when A-Rod had no timeouts left and needed the first to keep the game alive (will never forgive him for that). Some folks simply have a knack for this game and most do not. I've been waiting my whole life for a real H.C like Gase, Ireland was right and I knew it that Queasy Joe should have been canned years ago after his first December collapse, but Ross was too ignorant. The notion that Queasy Joe wanted to move on from RT, only solidifies my belief in RT because Joe (a good man I must add) knows jack s*** about how to win football games like millions of other football fans on this planet.

I want to see him carry the team when it isn't performing. He's a good QB but I want great, you can win with Tannehill but I want Tannehill to win.

can you please name those qbs who fit this bill (there arent many) and who you would draft next year so you can cut RT as you said if he doesnt?

really?

I want to see him carry the team when it isn't performing. He's a good QB but I want great, you can win with Tannehill but I want Tannehill to win.
He may never be that guy. But thats ok. I'd take him over 75% of the guys out there today.

Which brings up a question I pose to anyone who cares to answer. How good must your QB be before you are content? Top 10? Top 5?

Last edited:
Those who grew up watching Marino, Elway and Montana know what "great" looks like. During these past 17yrs, we have seen a division foe own the conference. Leading some to call Brady the GOAT.

Just because it hasn't been seen from the current team signal caller, doesn't mean we are content. It also doesn't mean, we fail to understand RT place in the league. KC knows what they have in Alex Smith. Cinci the same boat. Difference is, some here in the Miami Dolphins fan base, thinks Tannehill is elite or on the cusp.

It is what it is. Nothing more nothing less.

You can win with Tannehill, but he is not the reason you win.

He may never be that guy. But thats ok. I'd take him over 75% of the guys out there today.

Which brings up a question I pose to anyone who cares to answer. How good must your QB be before you are content? Top 10? Top 5?

Fan bases are never content.. hell few years ago Pats fans and the media were ready to say see ya to Brady after the Chiefs beat down, back in the day some Denver fans were growing tired of Elway not producing the trophy, etc.. I think the only fan bases that are actually content would be Packers and Saints(for however long Brees continues to play), after that I don't see a name that stands out in sense of "they win because of that guy and that guy only!"

QB is important but people tend to oversell the idea of we need top 3-5 to win and they quickly forget QBs that have been to the big game aka Super Bowl(not saying they won it but they made it).. Kerry Collins, Trent Difler(did win), Stan Humphries(some are probably like who lol), Brad Johnson, want to say it was Neil O'Donnell for Steelers back in 96 but not 100% sure, the list goes on and on

I think if the defense improves(which I have my doubts), RT will be better because he will not have as much pressure to score everytime we have the ball. I think the reason the Pats(and other contending teams) have been so dominate against us recently is because everytime they get they get the ball we rarely stop their offense and with the offensive screw ups we endure it puts us in a hole that is hard to fill. If the defense can be 50/50 and the offense can give them a breather as opposed to 3 and out 80% of the time, we can improve. Do I think RT will ever be guy that the team can ride his back if the they are not doing their part, NO. He will never be elite. But if he be a dependable part of the whole, he can be good. Is that Superbowl good? Probably not.

Back
Top Bottom