Why put Gadsden on IR? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why put Gadsden on IR?

Haywood

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Isn't he only signed for one year? It would have made sense to waive him injured and at least have the option to bring him back in six weeks. Now he gets paid his entire salary and he is a free agent at end of year??

Sounds like they did him a favor.

He didn't get any contract by other teans because of his injuries and previous contract disputes.

He won't be able to showcase his talent, so it doesn't sound like a favor to me. He's screwed.

Or I don't interpret the move correctly...
:confused:

I know someone is typing this as I am but anyway....

You can't cut a player that is injured while playing football for your team.....

Well you can...But you're going to end up paying his salary anyway.

They are going to keep him on IR and shop him around during that time. If no takers. He's gone.

I don't understand the in's and out's either but I think that if we cut him and he's injured, he would be able to make some kind on claim against the team, if nobody claimed him off waivers. Who would be likely to claim an injured player? By putting him on IR we can keep the rooks we wanted and he can't play for us this year.

i guess that couldn't reach an injury settlement with him.

Maybe we will need him sometime during the year, he produced for us every year!

They didn't want a grievance by just waiving him. He either signs a settlement or he's on the IR until he's healthy enough to be waived.

According to the Herald we can still sign him to an injury settlement as late as next Friday. Of course his moron of an agent will likely screw that up too.

In today's Herald...

"But an injury settlement is not the direction the agent and his client wish to go, Todd said Saturday.

Best case, we would like for him to make the team. That's how we're approaching it,'' Todd said. ``But I think if that's not possible, we would rather the Dolphins release Oronde. That's fine with us.''

If the Dolphins release Gadsden, the receiver becomes a free agent able to negotiate a deal with any team.

Gadsden retains the right to file an injury grievance against the Dolphins for cutting him while he is not 100 percent healthy. Or Gadsden can return to the Dolphins at any time once he's healthy.

If Gadsden takes an injury settlement, he could not return to the Dolphins for a minimum of six weeks, regardless of whether he's healthy sooner."

--------

So once again the "AGENT" is behind OG not signing and injury settlement. He WANTS OG to be cut as soon as he's healthy so that he can once again be a FA. What that would do I have no idea because no team was willing to pick him up prior to this latest injury, and reporting to camp overweight. Why would they sign him now unless some major injury struck their WR corps? And even then, there are some other WR out there (Jett comes to mind) that could be picked up.

Basically, Gadsden and his agent were trying to hold the Dolphins hostage once again with the injury settlement.

They didn't want to sign one, because then he can't play for another team for 6 weeks or so. If the Dolphins had released him, he could have shopped himself around, and if he got no takers could file an injury grievance against the team.

Basically, the Dolphins said, "We're tired of your sh*t!"... and put him on IR. Now, they hold all the cards. Either he gives up his right to file an injury grievance at which point they would release him and be done with it... or they pay him his piddly 430,000, while he sits at home watching another season pass him by, which quite likely would mean he would never play in the league again. (Would you sign an aging injury prone player that hasn't played in 1 1/2 years??)

I'm glad to see that this whole Gadsden episode is finally over. I said it then, and I'll say it again, the Dolphins should have never given him this last chance in the first place. He showed nothing to make me beleive he deserved it. I loved the way Gadsden produced when healthy, but he was always a money-first player that overestimated his worth and hurt the team when his over-inflated ego got in the way of reality.

Good Riddance!

Originally posted by grooves12
I'm glad to see that this whole Gadsden episode is finally over. I said it then, and I'll say it again, the Dolphins should have never given him this last chance in the first place. He showed nothing to make me beleive he deserved it. I loved the way Gadsden produced when healthy, but he was always a money-first player that overestimated his worth and hurt the team when his over-inflated ego got in the way of reality.

Good Riddance!

AMEN to that brother!

Actually, Grooves, I think Gadsden's contract was structured that the only way he gets most of that minimum contract money is if he's on the 53-man roster. If the Dolphins put him on IR, I believe Gadsden only gets somewhere around $100,000. But I agree with you that the Dolphins are beyond fed up with his agent's antics and decided to illustrate their leverage in a way that even this moron should be able to understand.

I thought if a player was put on IR they are done for the year?
How can OG come back whenever he is healthy?
If that's the case, then let him get healthy and see if he
has what it takes to compete and make the team.

This guy has always been a human highlight film and I have aways thought he was underrated.
Hope we can at least let him compete for a roster spot.

Back
Top Bottom