Why Randall?!? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Randall?!?

spankinkooch

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Why on earth would the dolphins be interested in signing Greg Randall? This is the player that Todd Wade replaced, so we wouldn't be upgrading by any means. Plus, if we already have John St. Clair and Damian McIntosh, what's the point of getting Randall? Especially if we have a shot at Andrews or Carey in the draft?

It's a depth signing. If he looks good in training camp, maybe he wins the job. If not, he's a backup tackle that we probably get for not much. Where's the problem?

Randall is not a bad player at all. He's a solid starter and will come MUCH cheaper than Wade. Reports are that Randall wasn't willing to sign a long term deal with the texans THAT'S why they brought wade in at such a high salary.

Randall will be no worse than wade, but will be MUCH cheaper. Also he's young, started at tackle for a super bowl team with the patriots, and has a teremendous upside. It just seems to me that he's underachieved a bit, but many see him as being capable of being a very good OT.

On top of that, we released our starting tackles, and currently have a 2nd year tackle, and an injured player who will be replaced by a proven bust tackle in St. Clair if we don't find another Ol.

this would be a great addition IMO. I've always like mcintosh and Randall. I wish we had signed a top tier tackle, but I'm not willing to spend tate money on any linemen. Bringing in randall will....

Solidify us at tackle until Mcintosh is better. once he is, Mcintosh, Randall, and Smith can battle it out for tackle spots. All young, all with great upsides potentially. Expect to see a rotation if need be, each will have off games, but the depth is there.

It will free us up to move Mckinney or st. clair to guard. St. Clair is a versatile linemen, should be a great guard, and was an all pro center in college. Was moved to tackle after going into the NFL. Getting another tackle makes him a patch up/commpetition for center or guard with mckinney. Whichever combo works best.

Originally posted by Graythreat
Randall is not a bad player at all. He's a solid starter and will come MUCH cheaper than Wade. Reports are that Randall wasn't willing to sign a long term deal with the texans THAT'S why they brought wade in at such a high salary.

Randall will be no worse than wade, but will be MUCH cheaper. Also he's young, started at tackle for a super bowl team with the patriots, and has a teremendous upside. It just seems to me that he's underachieved a bit, but many see him as being capable of being a very good OT.

On top of that, we released our starting tackles, and currently have a 2nd year tackle, and an injured player who will be replaced by a proven bust tackle in St. Clair if we don't find another Ol.

this would be a great addition IMO. I've always like mcintosh and Randall. I wish we had signed a top tier tackle, but I'm not willing to spend tate money on any linemen. Bringing in randall will....

Solidify us at tackle until Mcintosh is better. once he is, Mcintosh, Randall, and Smith can battle it out for tackle spots. All young, all with great upsides potentially. Expect to see a rotation if need be, each will have off games, but the depth is there.

It will free us up to move Mckinney or st. clair to guard. St. Clair is a versatile linemen, should be a great guard, and was an all pro center in college. Was moved to tackle after going into the NFL. Getting another tackle makes him a patch up/commpetition for center or guard with mckinney. Whichever combo works best.

:band: :happydrin :rocker:

PHINZ RULE!!!:cpatch:

Originally posted by spankinkooch
Plus, if we already have John St. Clair and Damian McIntosh, what's the point of getting Randall? Especially if we have a shot at Andrews or Carey in the draft?

Probably because we only have a shot at Andrews, & Carey is not worthy of the 20th overall pick. And about McIntosh, he probably won't be ready until mid-late season the earliest. Maybe not even until 2005.

Also as I've said on other threads, Houston wanted a RT who was better in pass blocking. Randall is, by all accounts, a road grading run blocker. The front office is not only making the Oline younger it is changing its focus from pass blocking to run blocking. James and St. Clair are already steps in that direction.

Originally posted by Ohiophinphan
Also as I've said on other threads, Houston wanted a RT who was better in pass blocking. Randall is, by all accounts, a road grading run blocker. The front office is not only making the Oline younger it is changing its focus from pass blocking to run blocking. James and St. Clair are already steps in that direction.

really? I thought Wade didn't do that well pass blocking

Not great but better than Randall, at least that's what free agent reports I have read (Kiper and Coyle) suggest. Wade was better than Randall, I agree, but perhaps not in run blocking and that's the direction we are going. And since the contract with Randall, if it happens will be for probably at the most 2-3 million per year Wade is not, imo, 3 million per year better!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking, maybe I am being too hard on wade. Maybe because Nails wasn't any help, he had a HORRIBLE year. I was so disappointed in Wade's Play last year

I agree with Dol-Fan, I did not believe that Wade was really a good pass blocker, or run blocker, just decent or ok...

Looking at stats from both Wade and Randall, they really are practically even. Last season Wade had one less sack than Randall, but had one more penalty than him also...

Also both team's main RB had the best YPC from their right side of the line...

So, in summary, if we get Randall for less money than what Wade was asking for, the FO will have spent their money wisely...

The bottom line is that if we make a deal with Randall, we can still draft Andrews if he is there or we can take an OL later in the draft if he is not. This gives us a lot of people who have started for at least one season or more....including what will be some of our backups....Something we did not have last year....

Depth is a beautiful thing people! You know every year the same thing happens..someone on the o-line gets injured. With good depth we can feel better about who replaces that injured player. Besides Randall is a pretty good player, he's not a "scrub" or "bum" as some poeple think he is. Do you REALLY want St. Clair starting at RT? I like St. Clair and think he's a hell of a run blocker..but just not at tackle.

I think the signing of Randall is basically very easy to understand. McIntosh will start the season on the PUP list. St. Clair is not an NFL caliber starting tackle, IMO, and Randall represents a 6 to 16 game starter, based on McIntosh's health, then will become the top backup tackle. This a great signing, St. Clair will now challenge for the C, RG positions. We cannot rely on Andrews being there, so we have adressed that issue. If he is there, bonus. :D

Back
Top Bottom