Why The Dolphins’ Second-round Pick Will Be Later And A Look At Players In That Range | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why The Dolphins’ Second-round Pick Will Be Later And A Look At Players In That Range

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article224978010.html

Dolphins fans were pleased to hear that by virtue of a strength of schedule tiebreaker, the Dolphins’ first-round draft pick will come before the three other teams that also finished 7-9.

But after selecting 13th in the first round, Miami won’t be so lucky in the second, fourth and sixth rounds.

Miami is expected to pick 16th (not 13th) in those rounds because the NFL alternates picks of those tied teams. (We say expected because the league hasn’t announced draft order yet.)

So Miami’s pick in the second round is expected to be 48th, not 45th, with Atlanta, Washington and Carolina picking ahead of them.

▪ NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah rates these players 40 through 50 on his Big Board, in order: Alabama State offensive tackle Tytus Howard, N.C. State center Garrett Bradbury, Alabama safety Deionte Thompson, FSU defensive end/linebacker Brian Burns, Washington safety Rapp, Notre Dame cornerback Love, Notre Dame defensive tackle Jerry Tillery, Vanderbilt cornerback Joejuan Williams, Arizona State receiver Harry, Ohio State defensive tackle Dre’Mont Jones and Mississippi receiver A.J. Brown.

That's if we don't trade back but some good talent there for us in the 2nd round if we draft smart.

I can't see how Brian Burns is there for our pick in the 2nd round. If he were, we would sprint that card up to the podium. I think it's much more likely he is our pick in the 1st round. If we're going to be playing multiple fronts as is expected, then we need edge rushers who can play DE in a 4 man front and OLB in a 3 man front. Everyone in this draft is going after pass rushers and then CB's, so those pass rushers will be in high demand, and Burns is one of those flexible guys who fit both systems. His only knock is that he's thin and may need a year to put on muscle … which is perfect for our plans. Other combo guys like Jachai Polite and Montez Sweat will also be high on our radar.

I can't see how Brian Burns is there for our pick in the 2nd round. If he were, we would sprint that card up to the podium. I think it's much more likely he is our pick in the 1st round. If we're going to be playing multiple fronts as is expected, then we need edge rushers who can play DE in a 4 man front and OLB in a 3 man front. Everyone in this draft is going after pass rushers and then CB's, so those pass rushers will be in high demand, and Burns is one of those flexible guys who fit both systems. His only knock is that he's thin and may need a year to put on muscle … which is perfect for our plans. Other combo guys like Jachai Polite and Montez Sweat will also be high on our radar.
Call me crazy but I have been eyeballing Bradbury in the 2nd. I wouldn't mind a young athletic center to lead the offensive line.

you already have bradberry basically in jake brendel although if they dump sitton brendel could be your starting left guard.

Burns is very good, but there are serious concerns about his weight. To go Day 1, he'll need to weigh around 245 and show that he can move well at that weight. Combine is big for pass rushers in general, especially OLB's ones, but it's more important for Burns than guys like Allen and Polite.

Call me crazy but I have been eyeballing Bradbury in the 2nd. I wouldn't mind a young athletic center to lead the offensive line.
You're definitely not crazy, and you're not alone! He is one of a large number of good OL prospects outside of the 1st round. Where the OL prospects end up shaking out is one of the more intriguing parts of this draft, as there isn't a lot of consensus. We need interior OL, and there's a good amount of them all throughout the draft.

Burns is very good, but there are serious concerns about his weight. To go Day 1, he'll need to weigh around 245 and show that he can move well at that weight. Combine is big for pass rushers in general, especially OLB's ones, but it's more important for Burns than guys like Allen and Polite.

Not sure what Flores prefers but I can’t remember New England going undersized.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article224978010.html

Dolphins fans were pleased to hear that by virtue of a strength of schedule tiebreaker, the Dolphins’ first-round draft pick will come before the three other teams that also finished 7-9.

But after selecting 13th in the first round, Miami won’t be so lucky in the second, fourth and sixth rounds.

Miami is expected to pick 16th (not 13th) in those rounds because the NFL alternates picks of those tied teams. (We say expected because the league hasn’t announced draft order yet.)

So Miami’s pick in the second round is expected to be 48th, not 45th, with Atlanta, Washington and Carolina picking ahead of them.

▪ NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah rates these players 40 through 50 on his Big Board, in order: Alabama State offensive tackle Tytus Howard, N.C. State center Garrett Bradbury, Alabama safety Deionte Thompson, FSU defensive end/linebacker Brian Burns, Washington safety Rapp, Notre Dame cornerback Love, Notre Dame defensive tackle Jerry Tillery, Vanderbilt cornerback Joejuan Williams, Arizona State receiver Harry, Ohio State defensive tackle Dre’Mont Jones and Mississippi receiver A.J. Brown.

We've all seen enough drafts to know a guy ranked high 3rd is drafted at #50 and a high 2nd round guy is taken in the 3rd. I get your point, but a lot depends on FA, who's available, how needs are ranked, and others

It's standard the way the draft order works.

Draft order for teams with identical win/loss records is determined by SOS in round 1. The team that picks first in that order in round one then falls to back of the pack the next round and all other teams with identical record move up one slot. This plays out through the entirety of the draft.

Of course, trades, supplemental picks, compensatory picks (standard to be at the end of rounds so would affect the overall pick in following rounds), a team penalized and not getting a pick that round (haven't heard of this happening to a team this year) etc...changes the overall pick # in the draft, but not the order for teams original slots in each round which is based on record and SOS.

As far as Miami goes this year the order for Miami, Atlanta, Washington, Carolina (teams finishing with 7-9 records) will be...

Round 1
13) Miami
14) Atlanta
15) Washington
16) Carolina

Round 2
13) Atlanta
14) Washington
15) Carolina
16) Miami

Round 3
(Giants used a supplemental pick in this round in 2018 so each team will move up additional spot as 7th pick in this round is forfeited)
12) Washington
13) Carolina
14) Miami
15) Atlanta

Round 4
13) Carolina
14) Miami
15) Atlanta
16) Washington

Round 5
13) Miami
14) Atlanta
15) Washington
16) Carolina

Round 6
13) Atlanta
(Washington used a supplemental pick in this round in 2018 so each team will move up additional spot as 14th pick in this round is forfeited)
14) Carolina
15) Miami

Round 7
13) Washington
14) Carolina
15) Miami
16) Atlanta

Back
Top Bottom