Why the sudden change in mock drafts? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why the sudden change in mock drafts?

Keebler229

Practice Squad
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
A couple weeks ago and up until now everyone had us taking a RB. why the sudden change with all the analyists having us take Alex smith and so sure of it? i would love the trade with Tampa to acquire their picks, but why is everyone so sure of this pick at QB. What do you think would be best?
 

ChambersWI

Going Ghost
Super Donator
Club Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
17,363
Reaction score
9,011
Location
Harrisburg, PA
some people are starting to say take QB because of how AJ always seems to lack confidence in his public interviews (I don't buy that)

From what everybody has been saying, if the 9ers pick anybody other than Alex Smith, The fins will deffinatly consider him since Saban has him rated alot higher than Rodgers. If Smith is on the board I'd say there's a 55-60% chance we draft him, but we will take up as much of the clock as possible.

If TB offers us their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd like some reposts say they are willing to do, we will trade down and still be able to get Brown.

IMO it's safe to say we will leave the 1st round with either Alex Smith or Ronnie Brown.
 

zephon

Practice Squad
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
961
Reaction score
0
honestly, if TB does make a trade with us I think that Mike Williams becomes the guy @ #5. My reasoning is that the top 4 WR won't get out of the 1st round and there IS a step down from those 4 into the next class. However, taking a RB in round 2 has lots of value as RB may be the deepest position in this draft. There is talent at RB through rd 4 and possibly 5 (and hey, those late round RBs tend to hit also).

Anyway that's my take. Saban doesn't really want to take a QB in the 1st but if forced to stay at #2 overall I think the 2 more valuable positions are QB and WR--I can't help myself...I'm a Mike Williams fan. But the both the QBs have value at #2.

ps...I'm still thowing out my sleeper pick in the top 5 for us....Rolle. Do I want him? not really but I think Saban likes the guy...just a feeling.
 

Phinsfan1980

Practice Squad
Joined
Aug 12, 2004
Messages
1,798
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Location
Iowa
ChambersWI said:
some people are starting to say take QB because of how AJ always seems to lack confidence in his public interviews (I don't buy that)

From what everybody has been saying, if the 9ers pick anybody other than Alex Smith, The fins will deffinatly consider him since Saban has him rated alot higher than Rodgers. If Smith is on the board I'd say there's a 55-60% chance we draft him, but we will take up as much of the clock as possible.

If TB offers us their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd like some reposts say they are willing to do, we will trade down and still be able to get Brown.

IMO it's safe to say we will leave the 1st round with either Alex Smith or Ronnie Brown.
Unless Brown is picked at #4 by the bears
 

ChambersWI

Going Ghost
Super Donator
Club Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
17,363
Reaction score
9,011
Location
Harrisburg, PA
Phinsfan1980 said:
Unless Brown is picked at #4 by the bears

I highly doubt they'll take Brown. They need another WR to go with Moose, and they've only met with Caddy and Benson, not Brown.
 

Phinsfan1980

Practice Squad
Joined
Aug 12, 2004
Messages
1,798
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Location
Iowa
ChambersWI said:
I highly doubt they'll take Brown. They need another WR to go with Moose, and they've only met with Caddy and Benson, not Brown.
Wow really? I didn't know that they haven't even met with Brown
 

Redvs.Blue Phin

Ever wonder why we're here?
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
271
Reaction score
0
Location
Iceland
Keebler229 said:
A couple weeks ago and up until now everyone had us taking a RB. why the sudden change with all the analyists having us take Alex smith and so sure of it? i would love the trade with Tampa to acquire their picks, but why is everyone so sure of this pick at QB. What do you think would be best?


The "analysts" like to regurgitate whatever the flavor of the day is.
 

steeda

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
1,226
Reaction score
118
Location
West Palm Beach, FL
ChambersWI said:
some people are starting to say take QB because of how AJ always seems to lack confidence in his public interviews (I don't buy that)

From what everybody has been saying, if the 9ers pick anybody other than Alex Smith, The fins will deffinatly consider him since Saban has him rated alot higher than Rodgers. If Smith is on the board I'd say there's a 55-60% chance we draft him, but we will take up as much of the clock as possible.

If TB offers us their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd like some reposts say they are willing to do, we will trade down and still be able to get Brown.

IMO it's safe to say we will leave the 1st round with either Alex Smith or Ronnie Brown.

What type of leverage does this give us over KC with surtain? If we get TB's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, could Saban hold out even longer waiting for KC to sweeten the deal??
 

ChambersWI

Going Ghost
Super Donator
Club Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
17,363
Reaction score
9,011
Location
Harrisburg, PA
steeda said:
What type of leverage does this give us over KC with surtain? If we get TB's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, could Saban hold out even longer waiting for KC to sweeten the deal??

I honestly couldn't tell you. Maybe we'd get KC's 2nd and be able to trade the 2 2nds we'd have to a team like Atlanta for their first and we could get a guy like Roddy White.
 

zephon

Practice Squad
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
961
Reaction score
0
ChambersWI said:
I honestly couldn't tell you. Maybe we'd get KC's 2nd and be able to trade the 2 2nds we'd have to a team like Atlanta for their first and we could get a guy like Roddy White.

Roddy White will be available in the 2nd round.

1st round wrs are Williams, Clayton, Edwards, Williamson.....oh, and that's the order of my prefence and belief of who'll be better. I think they'll all be good but I think each proceeding one will be better than the latter.
 

DonShula84

Sporty Don
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
13,500
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Location
Long Beach, Ca
There are a lot of rumors going around that Saban is really sold on Smith and that he is leaning towards picking him. Take these rumors into consideration and the experts have us taking Smith.
 

Awsi Dooger

Club Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
10,198
Reaction score
4,738
Location
Las Vegas
Because mock drafts are a flimsy waste of time, by definition. They succumb to the latest rumor, or threat of a rumor. Then the order naturally collapses, just like draft day with the first inevitable surprise or two.

My God, I actually posted in a mock draft thread. Banishment to the worst local buffet is my self-determined punishment.
 

fishypete

FinHeaven Elite
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
14,907
Reaction score
21
Age
70
Location
N.P.R. Florida
The Dolphins will not draft either Rodgers or Smith....take that to the bank. Saban wants draft picks....not players who can't start....give me a break. Don't be surprised to see Saban trading down twice....the player he wants will be in the middle of the 1st round.
 

fishypete

FinHeaven Elite
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
14,907
Reaction score
21
Age
70
Location
N.P.R. Florida
DonShula84 said:
There are a lot of rumors going around that Saban is really sold on Smith and that he is leaning towards picking him. Take these rumors into consideration and the experts have us taking Smith.


Rumor....defined as......An unverified or unfounded report, story, etc circulating from person to person. Common gossip, hearsay.

In otherwords....B.S.

B.S. spread for one purpose and one purpose only...to trade from the 2nd pick and acquire more picks in the draft...just like Saban stated he wanted to do....right from the beggining. Saban has never said he was leaning one way or the other...."sources" have said that.....well placed sources...may I say...for Sabans purpose. So far I've seen us taking a RB, QB, WR and CB....I wouldn't be surprised at all if none are taken with the first pick...only one week to go...and the rumors stop. GO PHINS!
 
Top Bottom