Why Tua won't win the MVP regardless of how the rest of the season goes... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Tua won't win the MVP regardless of how the rest of the season goes...

NBP81

Its what you know for sure... that just aint so...
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
This has been on my mind for a while now, and while some posters have done a good job of explaining it (@j-off-her-doll , @rafael and other) I don't think its an easy point to make. The type of skills that make Tua such a great QB aren't noticeable on TV when watching the game, I'd go as far as to say they're actually counter-productive to winning individual awards. These skills make everything look easier as they eliminate so much of what defenses can accomplish against you. When **** looks easy, it doesn't really lead to people thinking you're doing anything great.

When you have to run 20 yards sideways, use 17 seconds to complete a 15 yard pass... that **** looks amazing, and hard, dudes a ****ing nightmare to deal with. When the ball is out under 2 seconds for a 45 yard pass to a wide open Tyreek Hill, not so much. It's not that people don't get the value in that, it's just that it doesn't seem to be a particular skill by any player individually. And so that **** rarely translates to individual awards. Anyway, I fell across this video and it's probably been posted already but holidays and all, I'm sure I've missed some threads. This is Mike McDaniel explaining what I'm doing a horrible job of trying to explain.

@NBP81 - you articulated it well. It’s like Montana and Brady were. They really didn’t look like they were doing anything special. But at the end of the day they were crazy efficient and won a lot more than they lost. If Tua gets dissed until he wins a SB, that’s ok by me so long as he keeps winning.

@NBP81 - you articulated it well. It’s like Montana and Brady were. They really didn’t look like they were doing anything special. But at the end of the day they were crazy efficient and won a lot more than they lost. If Tua gets dissed until he wins a SB, that’s ok by me so long as he keeps winning.
Reminds me of comparing goalies like Brodeur and Price vs guys like Hasek... All great goalies but the former made **** look easy, while the latter made **** spectacular... Spectacular is really good at winning individual awards.

I agree it is about perception, but Tua this year has stats on his side, those will be hard to ignore. And the winning record.
Voters are stat junkies. And looking for a QB.

I would not vote for Tua simply because he is not the league MVP in my eyes this year. MVP this year is Tyreek. He is "like Mike, if I could be like Mike" this year for the league.

This has been on my mind for a while now, and while some posters have done a good job of explaining it (@j-off-her-doll , @rafael and other) I don't think its an easy point to make. The type of skills that make Tua such a great QB aren't noticeable on TV when watching the game, I'd go as far as to say they're actually counter-productive to winning individual awards. These skills make everything look easier as they eliminate so much of what defenses can accomplish against you. When **** looks easy, it doesn't really lead to people thinking you're doing anything great.

When you have to run 20 yards sideways, use 17 seconds to complete a 15 yard pass... that **** looks amazing, and hard, dudes a ****ing nightmare to deal with. When the ball is out under 2 seconds for a 45 yard pass to a wide open Tyreek Hill, not so much. It's not that people don't get the value in that, it's just that it doesn't seem to be a particular skill by any player individually. And so that **** rarely translates to individual awards. Anyway, I fell across this video and it's probably been posted already but holidays and all, I'm sure I've missed some threads. This is Mike McDaniel explaining what I'm doing a horrible job of trying to explain.

I thought to myself last week Tua could still win MVP if we won the last three games and he was arguably the MVP of those games. So far we beat Dallas, but Tua missed some key throws and we had to settle for field goals. Thus, he allowed a kicker to be MVP of the game. Tua must take another clear step forward in the offseason if he wants to be considered amongst the leagues elite.

Reminds me of comparing goalies like Brodeur and Price vs guys like Hasek... All great goalies but the former made **** look easy, while the latter made **** spectacular... Spectacular is really good at winning individual awards.
That’s a great, great analogy. Hasek flip flopped all over the crease and wowed people w his acrobatics. Brodeur and Price - they had such outstanding technique they didn’t get themselves out of position in the first place / need to recover (Fleury and Quick also did a lot of flopping and flailing). And it was easy to underestimate how good Carey and Marty were as a result. Love the comp!

I thought to myself last week Tua could still win MVP if we won the last three games and he was arguably the MVP of those games. So far we beat Dallas, but Tua missed some key throws and we had to settle for field goals. Thus, he allowed a kicker to be MVP of the game. Tua must take another clear step forward in the offseason if he wants to be considered amongst the leagues elite.

So he’s still “another clear step forward” away from being CONSIDERED amongst the league’s elite? Seriously?

First of all, I'm sure Tua is pleased to just be in the consideration for the MVP. Secondly, there are too many people out there whoeither spew negative takes about Tua or who believe those takes. Because of that he won't win the MVP award this year. The only way it might happen would be if Tua ripped up the playoffs and led MIami to a Championship, but by the time the Super Bowl comes around the MVP award will have already been awarded to someone else.

So he’s still “another clear step forward” away from being CONSIDERED amongst the league’s elite? Seriously?
I think that's how some people look at it. Some people won't seriously consider Tua until he's winning without Hill.

I don't think there is really anyway the media is voting Tua MVP this year unless he goes insane these last two games, there are talking heads that still question whether he is an elite QB despite his statistics the past two seasons.
The issue for Tua is Hill, and to an extent Waddle, look more exciting running away from people than Tua does getting them the ball.
The most persuasive argument I see for Lamar against Tua is that Tua doesn't beckon fear for a defense like Lamar does. Until he loses a step, Lamar is always going to be a b*tch to deal with for a defense.

The most persuasive argument I see for Lamar against Tua is that Tua doesn't beckon fear for a defense like Lamar does
I'm here to tell you that Defenses know exactly what's going on... Watching Staley's presser after the Fins beat the Chargers is a great feat of how it is frustrating to watch a QB get rid of the ball before even an unblocked pass rusher could get there. DCs don't vote for MVPs though...

Back
Top Bottom