Why we should not take a WR in round 1 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why we should not take a WR in round 1

MustangFinFan said:
the big receivers in last year's draft were Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards.....were they big name guys in the NFL this year??? NOPE.

Mike Williams Came of a year without playing and also played with 2 previious top 15 WR , and Braylon played for the Browns, BUT i really dont want to go WR in the 1st, if we do at all in the draft id say the 4th

If Holmes is available at 16, I'd prefer him over someone like Tye Hill at DB. He's got the speed to make plays right now, and the hands to go along with it. And definitely not Chad Jackson, he's the product of a good series of pre-draft workouts and is over-hyped right now.

phinfan999 said:
Booker used to be a #1 probowl WR thats why is numbers went down, hes now a #2 and he did have Gus throwing to him

Thank you. :)

Beyond that, Booker played the role the team asked him to play. Gus looked at him a criminally low number of times. That will change.

If Chad Jackson is available when we pick at #16 then the Dolphins have to take him. He won't be so the question is should we take Holmes.

phinfan999 said:
Booker used to be a #1 probowl WR thats why is numbers went down, hes now a #2 and he did have Gus throwing to him

Funny, I thought Chambers had Gus throwing to him also and he had a career year.

Jimmy James said:
Thank you. :)

Beyond that, Booker played the role the team asked him to play. Gus looked at him a criminally low number of times. That will change.

The offense improved and his numbers went down. I understand he was #1 on Chicago, I'm not saying he is gonna put up Pro Bowl numbers. But they went down before he even left Chicago, and have gone down further in Miami. I'm not hating on the guy, but he is not going to be a solid #2 a couple of years from now.

Crowder52 said:
The offense improved and his numbers went down. I understand he was #1 on Chicago, I'm not saying he is gonna put up Pro Bowl numbers. But they went down before he even left Chicago, and have gone down further in Miami. I'm not hating on the guy, but he is not going to be a solid #2 a couple of years from now.

I'm not hating on you, but you don't know what you're talking about. That much is obvious.

Booker had a high ankle sprain in 2003. Look at Owens in 1999. What's amazing is that the proportional change in the numbers for each player is damned near identical for the season they struggled with their high ankle sprains. Check out the games Booker played at the end of the 2003 season. He put up 3 very nice games in the last 4 weeks. I am not going to crunch the numbers for the billionth time, but I do believe that if you average those last 4 games and project it out to a season, they are on par with his 2002 numbers.

If you are a Dolphins fan and were paying the least bit of attention in 2004, you need no explanation for that abortion of a year on any player's part.

Last year, it was feast or famine with Booker. When the team played like total crap from week 2 until week 9, his numbers were terrible. That's on Gus. He was playing like a jerk and did not look comfortable in the least. That's what happens when you bring in a streaky QB like Gus, though. It's obvious with the gooseggs in weeks 11 and 12 along with the game he sat in week 13 that he had another minor injury during that time. It's a shame because he might have been able to help turn that Cleveland game into a win. Who knows. With better QB play, Marty Booker will be just fine for a long time. He doesn't make circus catches that put his body in danger like Chambers does. He goes out and gets lost in the secondary. It's a thing of beauty.

Crowder52 said:
Funny, I thought Chambers had Gus throwing to him also and he had a career year.

Did you miss week 13? Booker wasn't there to feast on a Buffalo team in collapse. Without the 15 catches for 238 Chambers had in that game, it's not a career year for him. If the shoe had been on the other foot and Booker had been the one to feast on that D, Booker would have actually had MORE yards than Chambers would have had last year (924 for Booker to 880 for Chambers).

Braylon Edwards actually played REALLY well towards the end of the season before he got hurt

Ask any Browns fan if they are excited and happy they took him, they will say yes

Alex22 said:
Braylon Edwards actually played REALLY well towards the end of the season before he got hurt

Ask any Browns fan if they are excited and happy they took him, they will say yes

I wouldn't go that far. From what I have seen of Browns fans, their reaction is a bit more mixed than that. They're optimistic due to the production you're talking about, but they would have still preferred to see a player they picked in the first round make it through a season.

Jimmy James said:
Did you miss week 13? Booker wasn't there to feast on a Buffalo team in collapse. Without the 15 catches for 238 Chambers had in that game, it's not a career year for him. If the shoe had been on the other foot and Booker had been the one to feast on that D, Booker would have actually had MORE yards than Chambers would have had last year (924 for Booker to 880 for Chambers).

But Booker didnt have that game so whats your point :confused:

If Shaun Alexander played for us in 04 we wouldnt have finished 4-12, but he didnt......

Booker is one heck of a reciever, but every game counts, I guess we should discount every big game a guy has right?

Jimmy James said:
I wouldn't go that far. From what I have seen of Browns fans, their reaction is a bit more mixed than that. They're optimistic due to the production you're talking about, but they would have still preferred to see a player they picked in the first round make it through a season.

Well not EVERY Browns fan, but most, I mean some Dolphin fans arent happy we took Ronnie Brown, but most are

He made some really big plays towards the end of the season, so they should be very optimistic, I know I would be

But I know what your saying there will always be mixed reactions, unless the guy you pick is named Peyton Manning or Dan Marino

Alex22 said:
But Booker didnt have that game so whats your point :confused:

If Shaun Alexander played for us in 04 we wouldnt have finished 4-12, but he didnt......

Booker is one heck of a reciever, but every game counts, I guess we should discount every big game a guy has right?

Have you been reading this thread? If you have, it shouldn't be difficult to see the point. I'll lay it out for you, though:

The point is that there is no objective reason to say that Marty Booker has 2 years left if you're not going to say that Chambers only has 4 years left.

There is a favoritism toward Chambers here. I don't know precisely why. It may be because he makes circus catches. It may be because he was a Dolphin from day 1. It may be because Marty Booker was bitter about the Bears stabbing him in the back and some of the worst homers on this board decided that meant Booker was the scum of the Earth. I'm not entirely sure anybody knows what it is.

This prejudice against Booker is justified by the type of inappropriately casual glance at statistics that the poster I was responding to did. Statistics are great, but you have to look a little deeper than just the numbers. You have to ask yourself about injury and the situation the players in question were in.

In this case, we have the difference between Chambers and Booker in terms of receiving yards as less than the swing in yardage from the Buffalo game. The casual observer would project that 500 yards or so out over 16 games and think Chambers was consistently better. That's not the case. Chambers had a monster game (and good for him -- I LIKE Chambers a lot). If Booker had been playing that game, the stats probably would have been split and the two of them would look closer. If Chambers had been the one out (and he gets hurt just as much as Booker does -- let's be truthful about that), Booker probably gets the same sort of performance because the Bills were letting Miami throw all over them.

Jimmy James said:

Allright bro, we'll have to agree to disagree. If you want to take out a player's best game of the season, or extrapolate another player's 4 best games over the course of a season then you are going to find what you want to find. Injuries are just that, injuries, those are something I take into account when I judge a player. I don't give them a free pass for an injury. In my opinion, Booker is a mediocre #2 WR on the decline and I'd love to see us bring someone in. If you feel different that's all good man, we're all Phins fans after all and I hope you are right that he will bounce back this year.

MustangFinFan said:
the big receivers in last year's draft were Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards.....were they big name guys in the NFL this year??? NOPE.
Edwards was coming on nicely at the end of last year before he blew his knee out. I think he will be big this year.
Mike Williams did not produce much, I will give you that.
Wasn't Williamson picked ahead of Mike Williams though? Only a couple of bombs on the year for him

Back
Top Bottom