Why wouldn't we just use Ogun as trade bait? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why wouldn't we just use Ogun as trade bait?

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm spoiled by being a Phin's fan. We have had such an explosive pass rush for the last four or five years going back to Trace that I don't know if we can't live without Ogun. Obviously, we'll be taking a chance on whomever else we get but that 1st and third round pick could be very useful. We could either get a QB with one and then O-line or WR for the other OR.......we could trade a first and third for a higher draft spot. What do you guys think If I'm holding pick number 1-5 and someone offers me # 20 and a third rounder I would probably take it unless I'm going for Manning and I'm afraid he won't be around.

I think it would take more than a third to jump 15+ spots. Also if we signed him the large contract could scare people and we couldn't trade him. Then we would be stuck with more $$ going onto the wrong side of the ball.

The Fins don't have the rights to trade Ogun at this point, he is a RFA which means the Fins can tender him and they will get rights to match any offer he receives or be compensated for the loss, the only way they can trade him is if he signs the tender first, also what you have to take into account is that no team will trade for a player just on his signed tender Ogun would have to agree to sign a long term deal with the new team before the actual trade would be made.

This really gives Ogun the power of picking and choosing where he would like to play more then it gives the Fins the choice of where to send him.

If another team offers Ogun a contract and the Fins match then they can trade him but not to the team that made the offer for at least 1 year.

Originally posted by RICKYSABEAST
Maybe I'm spoiled by being a Phin's fan. We have had such an explosive pass rush for the last four or five years going back to Trace that I don't know if we can't live without Ogun. Obviously, we'll be taking a chance on whomever else we get but that 1st and third round pick could be very useful. We could either get a QB with one and then O-line or WR for the other OR.......we could trade a first and third for a higher draft spot. What do you guys think If I'm holding pick number 1-5 and someone offers me # 20 and a third rounder I would probably take it unless I'm going for Manning and I'm afraid he won't be around.

Who ever plays opposite JT will be very good. Not saying O-Gun is not good, just saying about half of those sacks were there because of JT's constant double teams.

Oliver...

Originally posted by dreadlockera
I think it would take more than a third to jump 15+ spots. Also if we signed him the large contract could scare people and we couldn't trade him. Then we would be stuck with more $$ going onto the wrong side of the ball.

I agree that it will take more then a third but not quite as much as I once thought. Last year the Saints traded with the Cards

Arizona traded the No. 6, No. 37 and No. 102 picks to New Orleans in exchange for the No. 17, No. 18 and No. 54 picks.

So Saints give up 2 firsts and second and move up to the #6 spot, move up 17 spots in the 2nd and gain a 4th.

So say the Fins have #19 and #20 or so, you figure giving up the 2 picks should be able to get them in the top 3 if they fgive up the 4th and the 17 spots in the second the Saints received. But who knows every year is different.

I think the guy we already have, David Bowens, is quite a good pass rusher. We still have Jay Williams, who I thought did a good job and maybe we could talk Rob Burnett out of retirement. Even with O-Gun gone we're still O.K.

Back
Top Bottom