Wide Receiver Busts May Provide Low-risk Fa Signings | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wide Receiver Busts May Provide Low-risk Fa Signings

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
usatsi_11490736.jpg

When the Miami Dolphins made then-Louisville wide receive DeVante Parker the headline player of their 2015 draft class, he was a part of a well stocked class of receivers that saw six receivers go in the top 30 selections.

Just four years later, the Dolphins appear ready to move on from Parker, who has been more hype than substance to this point in his NFL career. Parker, who has been dogged by constant injuries and questions surrounding his work ethic, logged career lows in receptions (24), yards (309) and touchdowns (1) in 2018.

A change of scenery will likely do both the Dolphins and Parker some good. But in his looming departure, that same 2015 draft may bring some low-risk competition to the wide receiver room.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/17/wide-receiver-busts-may-provide-low-risk-fa-signings/

He'll absolutely be given an opportunity to shine somewhere this year.

Whether he can stay healthy and put it all together is another story . . . but this is the prototypical low-risk, high reward guy for some team to roll the dice on.

Something was missing in DeVante Parker's composition as a footballer and I don't know precisely what it is. He has some talent but was definitely overhyped in college. He has decent size and decent speed and on occasions made some good catches but struggled at times to get fully healthy.
Maybe what he lacks is pure hunger to succeed. When you compare wide receivers - Julian Edelman was a 7th rounder compared with Parker a 1st round Draft pick. DeVante has 5.5" in height and about 20 lbs in weight but as a footballer he is completely dwarfed by Edelman's tenacity and gritty toughness.
The Dolphins drafted Parker with an expectation that he would excel, while Belichick drafted Edelman with the hope that he could make something of him on special teams as an undersized college QB. Kind of interesting how they turned out. Edelman has 3 Super Bowl rings and averages 6 catches per match from Brady.

I'm fully supportive of the decision to let Parker go. It is overdue.

Last edited:
It is time to move on and bring in guys that really want it. He has the talent but just couldn't put it all together.

He runs like he’s wearing clown shoes and he has low football IQ. He sucks and he will suck elsewhere IMO.

I wonder if a different coaching staff in Miami can make a difference with Parker?

I wonder if a different coaching staff in Miami can make a difference with Parker?
He has the tools, but he just hasn't been able to succeed in this league. Part of me wants them to keep him. Maybe it was prior coaches and the new staff can get something more out of him? I would hate to see a talent like him leave and be successful somewhere else. Just wish we knew what was holding him back. If it is his attitude or lack of self-discipline, then I don't want him here.

actually thought the same thing Ren, problem is, hes probably to the point in his contract that it may be just time to cut ties. we know once you got in gase's doghouse you weren't getting out, and also a lot of noise from Parkers agent saying he was healthy but everyone was being told not. I do think he has immaturity issues, but in a potentially rebuilding year (I say potentially because if we go qb round 1 then I think that changes a lot) then is there really any purpose of guaranteeing parker 9 million or how much ever. I think josh gordan added something extra to the pats offense while they had them, would've been nice if parker could've been that guy.

I used to follow him on social media and just to see his uncaring about anything football related and bad mouth some fans when they mentioned to him focusing on rehab instead of his little videos.

...not unless they do football exorcisms, "heart" transplants and tuffness infusions!

Parker is a total waste.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF

If Ted Ginn jr can turn it around then then anything is possible. but no not in mia. The dude plays like he has Epstein-barr syndrome

usatsi_11490736.jpg

When the Miami Dolphins made then-Louisville wide receive DeVante Parker the headline player of their 2015 draft class, he was a part of a well stocked class of receivers that saw six receivers go in the top 30 selections.

Just four years later, the Dolphins appear ready to move on from Parker, who has been more hype than substance to this point in his NFL career. Parker, who has been dogged by constant injuries and questions surrounding his work ethic, logged career lows in receptions (24), yards (309) and touchdowns (1) in 2018.

A change of scenery will likely do both the Dolphins and Parker some good. But in his looming departure, that same 2015 draft may bring some low-risk competition to the wide receiver room.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/17/wide-receiver-busts-may-provide-low-risk-fa-signings/

IMO, there are players who need to be cut before they 'get it' - the NFL is more than raw talent. Some never get it. Parker is in one of those groups, we just don't know which one. It is good to be reminded, BTW, Miami isn't the only team making bad picks.

I have no problem bringing in another team's castoff, provided the contract is low-risk and the potential (I hate that word) is there.

Even if Parker’s lights stay on for a full season I doubt he’ll be healthy for 16 games.

I’m not saying he can’t contribute but I find it incredibly unlikely he’ll ever have a career that’s reflective of his talent.

usatsi_11490736.jpg

IMO, there are players who need to be cut before they 'get it' - the NFL is more than raw talent. Some never get it. Parker is in one of those groups, we just don't know which one. It is good to be reminded, BTW, Miami isn't the only team making bad picks.

I have no problem bringing in another team's castoff, provided the contract is low-risk and the potential (I hate that word) is there.

Even if Parker’s lights stay on for a full season I doubt he’ll be healthy for 16 games.

I’m not saying he can’t contribute but I find it incredibly unlikely he’ll ever have a career that’s reflective of his talent.

I agree, but I think the bigger problem was lack of desire.

Back
Top Bottom