Wide Receivers - Darrell Jackson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wide Receivers - Darrell Jackson

Jorser

Insider
Reaction score
If the Dolphins land Brunell or Ramsey, we can assume momentarily that we may be without a #1 pick. This assumption includes retaining Ogunleye, which in my opinion, is what the club would prefer to do. If the unmatchable offer comes in, then so be it, they'll get their 1st and 3rd for him, but for the sake of this discussion, let's assume he stays.

Since the QB may most likley be aquired in a 'trade' and the only other available high pick is a 3rd rounder, you could make the argument that WR then becomes the #1 free agent priority. The #2 WR spot has no potential suitor on the roster currently. A #3 draft choice is not going to be that player, not in his first year. Tolver will be the 3, 4, or even #5 at best this year, depending on who is signed. So #2 WR after QB becomes the gaping hole.
I leave the OL out of the equation currently as I do not think that they will throw huge money at any one player there. They will likely sign a key player for the interior of the line, but I believe it will be their #2 priority in free agency and there are enough young guys on the roster that we may be able to improve with some of what we currently have. I do not see us blowing our FA wad on an Orlando Pace type of guy, as the 1st priority.

Which of these highly ranked free agent WR's do we see ourselves pursuing and have the chance to sign??

T. Owens
D. Jackson
S. Smith ( RFA)
T. Streets
D. Northcutt

What does anyone know about Darrell Jackson? I believe he is a Florida native and is the most intriguing to me. Does anyone have any info on him? What kind of complement would he be to Chambers. We must get a nifty, shifty, tough, over the middle guy. After QB, it must be the top priority for this team.

It can't be Owens. He costs too much.

It's gotta be someone reasonably cheap, otherwise we can't get them. And I'd also rather build up our O-line before we get to our Wideouts.

Thats a pretty good crop of recievers to chose from starting with:

Terrell Owens-this is the guy i want, he can fix his attitude and hes already prove he is a top 3 reciever in this league, but we have about a 20 percent chance of getting him.

Darell Jackson-I think he played for the seahwaks and he would be a great compliment to CC, because has some speed.

Steve Smith-i like steve smith but i dont think miami will be willing to give up a high draft pick for him, so hes out of the question.

Tai Streets-I dont know about him, he hasnt really proved or showed me anything over the last couple of years, hell probally be another derrius thompson.

Dennis Northcut-i would love to have northcut, because the guy has amazing speed and plus he would be a great kick returner for us.

But out of them 5 i would like to have T.O the most.

Jackson is a guy that drops balls a lot, though. Miami's quite tired of seeing that happen after last year.

I like Jackson a lot but he certainly can be streaky at times. I would love to see him in Miami but I'm not sure the 'Fins are going to land either of the top receivers available.

As far as Smith goes, he's a RFA and will be tendered the top dollar amount if the Panthers can't work out a long term deal (something they're trying to do right now) which means it'll cost a first and a third to get him and I certainly don't think he's worth that kind of price tag.

Tai Streets is a guy who's had his opportunities but simply hasn't done anything to distinguish himself as a guy who can start AND produce on a consistent basis. I know this because I've had the guy on my fantasy team for the past two years now and he's done crap. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, he lost his starting gig to Brandon Lloyd at the end of last season. Definitely not a guy I want to see in a 'Fins' uniform.

I think we should stand pat. I like Tai Streets and Dez White are guys I like best of all of them. They both have speed if I'm not mistaken, meanwhile Streets is a guy that would have been a fairly high draft pick if he hadn't got injured only like 2 weeks before the draft. He ended up a 6th round pick, and kind of redshirted his rookie year. Tai has had to play second fiddle to Terrell Owens with Owens constantly demanding he be thrown the ball more. There may also be a question as to whether or not Streets is best suited to San Fran's true West Coast Offense...not that I've seen anyone question that but it does usually come to my mind when a WR or QB underachieves in a WCO. The 49ers did also have some problems at QB this season, Terrell Owens himself had a down year. But either way Dez White is the guy I like. That boy can burn, and if we want speed at WR, look no further than him. He's been shuffled around in Chicago for a few years...they have Marty Booker who I really like, and they drafted David Terrell and keep giving him chance after chance, even though he sucks. And talk about a team having problems at the QB position. He had almost as many yards as Marty Booker this year. He's 6'1" and 215 lbs...not bad at all for a burner.

Personally I think we're fine at the WR position though. We have up and comers in Tolver and Simmons, Newson. You get better at blockin for the QB, and you get a better QB who can unleash things a little better keep us on the field, Derrius will be fine in this offense.

Plus Dez White was born in Orange Park, FL. Maybe he wants to play closer to home for a cheap rate. Who knows.

Steve Smith or Terrell Owens I would'nt :cry: if we got one or the other. Steve aint going anywhere and Owens said he wanted to go to the Eagles or Ravens and think it will be one of those teams.

Originally posted by dolfan34
Thats a pretty good crop of recievers to chose from starting with:

Terrell Owens-this is the guy i want, he can fix his attitude and hes already prove he is a top 3 reciever in this league, but we have about a 20 percent chance of getting him.

Darell Jackson-I think he played for the seahwaks and he would be a great compliment to CC, because has some speed.

Steve Smith-i like steve smith but i dont think miami will be willing to give up a high draft pick for him, so hes out of the question.

Tai Streets-I dont know about him, he hasnt really proved or showed me anything over the last couple of years, hell probally be another derrius thompson.

Dennis Northcut-i would love to have northcut, because the guy has amazing speed and plus he would be a great kick returner for us.

But out of them 5 i would like to have T.O the most.

Why should we assume T.O can fix his attitude...? And a "20% chance"..? WTH? You do know that 90% of statistics are made up on the spot....(let that one sink in).

Personally I think Jackson fits the best in our offense, I just wish he'd be a little more physical.

Smith is good, but a great running game, good offensive line, and an underrated Muhhamed contributed to his success, I'm not sure he's worth what his tender could potentially be.

Northcutt is interesting because he can return kicks, I think he would be an excellent third reciever and a good second, but possibly overpaid as a second.

Of the following I like:

1.Jackson - Best fit financially and mentally, has a great attitude.
2.Northcutt - Kick returns and promising recieving skills.
3.Smith - good player but I'm afraid he's overrated and I know he will cost too much.
4. T.O - Obviously the best WR, but his attitude is horrible and he doesn't fit our team, not to mention what he'd cost.
5. Streets - it's hard to make an assesment of any player playing opposite of someone like T.O.

Last edited by a moderator:
The No.1 requirement in a WR coming to Miami is simply hands.

Darrell Jackson might have the worst set in the league, and that alone is enough to make Miami pass.

Originally posted by Stamos
The No.1 requirement in a WR coming to Miami is simply hands.

Darrell Jackson might have the worst set in the league, and that alone is enough to make Miami pass.

Good Point, but Jackson is young, an extremely talented route runner and I believe he would be Miami's best choice......

Originally posted by Pigskin Pimp

Good Point, but Jackson is young, an extremely talented route runner and I believe he would be Miami's best choice......

If only it were that simple. Our money this offseason, will be spent on the OL, and our money next offseason will be given to Chris Chambers. Thats something to keep in mind, every penny we would spend on a WR this year, would make it that much tougher to resign Chris next. I expect a similar deal to the one Chad Johnson got, in the 25 for 5 area.

I am all for trading up to acquire Reggie Williams, or trading down and just drafting Michael Jenkins. Jenkins might be the most NFL ready WR in this draft, while still have very very solid potential for a down the road stud.

I'd vote for Jackson....price is right and their is alot of potential to use him.

Jackson with Ramsey Brunell or Rivers 2005 or who ever the hell the qb is going to be qb will be an upgrade by all means. I'm getting really confused about the whole qb thing I really don't know what I want anymore I get my hopes up for someone then I get my feeling hurt.

lol, yeah....I know....as long as he is as good as JF and younger (with more "potential") I'm happy with trying to get whoever it is. My order of prefernce would be

1) Rivers
2) Henson - if he looks good tomorrow....I just have a feeling about him
3) Ramsey

sorry...not tryint to turn this into another QB thread....

Back
Top Bottom