WideReciever in the third? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WideReciever in the third?

OurHeartAndSoul

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I know there was talk that if we get an olineman early that we might take a Wr in the third or fourth, so I was thinking that Sammie Parker can be a good pick in that range. He is alittle like Dante Hall in his speed and return abilities, plus he could play a little reciever, I think he would be much better than Wilkins.

I think if we go WR it will be in the third, unless a guy named Williams is available.

The depth of the WR talent means that it makes sense to pick one in r.3, where there s/b r.2 talent.

I would prefer to draft a more natural receiver that could compliment Boston and Chambers. PK Sam and Keary Colbert would be good.

If we go WR in the 3rd after we get Andrews in the first (please God), the guy I like is Devard Darling out of Washington State.

Sammie Parker is my favorite mid-round receiver. He should be there in the 3rd, & he'd be a great pick. He reminds me of a smaller Steve Smith with less potential as a starter. He'd also make a great return man. However, if Keary Colbert is there & they haven't picked a receiver yet, they better pick him. Colbert would be one of the best #3's in the league.

One guy I'd be pissed if they took: Ernest Wilford. :shakeno:

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

One guy I'd be pissed if they took: Ernest Wilford. :shakeno:

Agreed!!!!
I think he will be a major bust. I'll puke if we draft him. I would love to get Evans or Jenkins. Both are solid returners as well as big play WRs. Drew Carter would be another guy to take a late round flyer on. He has major wheels and could into a solid WR in the future.

Benard Berrian Fresno ST great return man and deep threat potential super star:cool: :eat: :cool:

Maybe D.J Hackett out of Colorado.. Great hands, big time leaper. 6-2+, 199. Possesion type and good over the middle.

I think this kid would be a good 3rd...If Sulliven got a hold of him, he could deveolpe as a #3 as CC and DB would take most of the attention:

Johnny Morant

Pro Day Update :

HEIGHT:6.04.1
WEIGHT:224
40 AVERAGE:4.45
SHORT SHUTTLE:4.13
LONG SHUTTLE:11.65

COMBINE UPDATE:
HEIGHT:6.04.0
WEIGHT:229
40 AVERAGE:4.56

The best way to describe Johnnie Morant is to compare him to his previous-draft equivalent, Tyrone Calico. A relative unknown because of the school he attends not having an overly strong program (although in Calico's case, Middle Tenn. State got even less exposure than the Orangemen), Morant is this year's "raw but holy-****-look-at-the-potential!!" pick.

It's all about the measurables with Morant. Son of former Pro Bodybuilder Johnnie Morant Sr, Junior has obviously inherited the same kind of love of the weight-room. At 6-5 and over 230lbs and possessing sub-4.4 speed, he's got a genetic tool-kit that only comes along once in a blue moon. He might even have the best physical package of ANY receiver in the nation right now – yes – only USC’s Mike Williams and the Chargers’ David Boston have the same level of tools. He's that scary.

So why the heck isn't he a first round shoe-in? Well, a few reasons. First, he's injury-prone. Nothing serious, but he just doesn't seem to be particularly durable. Two, he's inconsistent. As good as he sounds on paper, he's had trouble translating it to on-field production, even if he did double his output in 2003 to 48 catches. Basically, the results don't match the hype. It's all in flashes for Morant - he made ESPN's highlight reel this year for a stunning one-handed catch-and-run between two defensive backs against West Virginia that resulted in a touchdown, but those moments just seem to happen far too seldom.

Morant's future seems to be as the prototype (and we do mean prototype) project pick. He isn't going to start for anyone in 2004, that part looks certain, but... hell, he's just too scary to ignore. Guys that size aren't meant to be that fast. Morant rated as a 4th round pick earlier this year, but in the post-combine evaluations once everyone's had time to digest his measurables, he should be a solid 3rd rounder, and may even edge into the lower end of the 2nd if the right team is picking there, just as Calico did. Given that the teams picking at the end of rounds are usually those with the lesser immediate needs, that's where he will be setting his sights.

I personally like alot of these names mentioned, and I agree Wilford will be a bust.

BJ Johnson out of Texas is another guy i like.

I thought he was a solid WR that was overshadowed by Roy Williams, similar to Colbert and Williams at USC.

Originally posted by AzDolfan543413
I personally like alot of these names mentioned, and I agree Wilford will be a bust.

yea wilford is gonna have trouble w/ separation in the league, and even though he is 6'4", he doesn't really understand how to use his body and is somewhat awkward altogether. that said, he really came a long way in his career, from that terrible drop in the '01 miami game to vt's all-time leading wr. i just don't see him doing much in the league

I think we should pick Colbert in the third if we get a lineman in the first. Colbert will last that long because he never was a number 1 in college, but he will definately be one of the best #3 WR's in the league next year. Colbert is the kind of reciever that won't need to adjust as much because he runs good routes, has good hands, and he understands how to get open. He reminds me a lot of O.J. McDuffie but with 4.4 speed.

I agree that a round 3 receiver is a good idea after a 1st round offensive lineman, and suggest Devard Darling and Derrick Hamilton. Both might be taken at the end of round 2/before Miami picks in round 3 but are more developed than Morant. I want no part of Wilford and would consider Colbert.

Originally posted by Kistner10
Colbert will last that long because he never was a number 1 in college, .....

I like Colbert alot but .... Kiper's talking him up big time .....

"Proved during his individual workouts that he is slightly faster than previously thought and should consistently be in the 4.5 range in the 40. Colbert is the consummate possession receiver and will catch just about everything thrown in his direction. He is USC's all-time leader with 207 career receptions and caught at least one pass in the last 36 games of his career, including six grabs for 149 yards and two touchdowns against Michigan in the Rose Bowl. That consistent production followed by good workouts now make him a lock for the second round, possibly to Baltimore or New Orleans, when most thought after the college season that he would be a third or fourth-rounder. "

And Scouts Inc. (another ESPN contributer) has him going 51st (19th pick in 2nd) to Baltimore.

Both mocks are waaaaayyyy before Fins pick at 87.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom