Wildcat question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wildcat question

Keonxl

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I was watching some footage from the 2008 season when we ran the wildcat a ton. We were doing so much out of that formation, for example, flea flickers, reverses, and other trick plays. When we ran the wildcat this year it was almost just a direct snap to Ronnie or Ricky and then right up the gut. I don't know why we would not go back to the way we used to use it. I mean, really it's not going to work if we keep using the same exact play over and over. And I am not advocating using it, im just saying if we are going to use it then we need to be unpredictable and we might actually get some positive yards with it. Thoughts?

I would have liked to see more throws out of the wildcat once in a while. I think it would be very effective against any defense.

The wildcat will likely be an extremely small part of this team next year. For the past few years, the Dolphins used the wildcat as a formation, not as a gimmick. With Henning and possibly David Lee(the wildcat architect) leaving, the offense is going to change. Plus our two wildcat trigger men, Ronnie and Ricky, probably are not coming back.

One of the reasons why we didn't use the Wildcat in 2010 the same way we did in 2008 is we didn't have that #2 TE that could block. Another reason is the interior of the offensive line was inconsistent at best in getting movement to opening up running lanes.

We also do not move Long beside of Carey anymore. The OL was horrible at run blocking this season. The TE's were not much better, even Polite had a bad season blocking.

No motion for the most part...
No Unbalanced line with Carey & Long side by side...
No blocking in the running game.

Pretty much sums it up. We sucked at blocking, did not use motion as much from the original formation. We used the evolved formation..lol. Fools... The Ravens shut down the original wildcat formation...wow big shocker!!! lol...fools.

Like it or hate it, the wildcat is pretty much dead at this point. It was something Henning used and very few other OC's are going to invest the time, etc. Plus w/the likely changes in personnel coming, it's pretty much history. Hopefully we bring someone in with a new style and a little more wide open play calling.

Back
Top Bottom