Will 5 centers be taken in this draft before 5 guards are taken? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will 5 centers be taken in this draft before 5 guards are taken?

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Not sure if that's happen before but I think there's a good chance 5 centers will go off the board before 5 guards are taken.

Ruiz
Biadasz
Cusheburry
Harris
Hanson
Hennesey

these are some pretty good centers that could get drafted in the first 3 rounds. Some probably will go in the first 2 imo.

As far as guards, there's a few good ones too

Kindley
Lemieux
Muti
Bredeson
Stenburg to name a few.

Anyway, for the guru's here. Which group will get to 5 first, centers or guards?

If I had to guess, the top IOL will be Ruiz (not counting OT-to-OG converts), but I think it's a pretty safe bet to say 5 OG's will go before 5 C's.

I suspect not.

Simple math tells you that there's twice as much demand for guards as centers. And that's taking aside that this class has some decent guard prospects like John Simpson, Netane Muti, Jonah Jackson, Damien Lewis, and Shane Lemieux. I'd be happy to have any of those dudes.

Personally I don't have Ruiz as the best center in the class. That's Matt Hennessy. He's a gifted player on par with the likes of Garrett Bradbury and Erik McCoy from a year ago and I think that'll come out as we get through this. If not, then someone will get a great bargain. He transitions from the snap into his footwork and handwork the best and quickest of anyone in the class. Despite being built a little bit more like a tackle, you don't see him getting bullied around. He's got fantastic mobility and uses his hands very well, in addition to shooting those hands insanely quick off the snap.

Lloyd Cushenberry is very gifted but also clearly hasn't learned to use those gifts. On tape he's not as good as Hennessy. Or Ruiz, for that matter. He has to learn to use those long arms a lot better and not allow players into his body. I thought he got outplayed in the Senior Bowl by his own LSU teammate next to him, Damien Lewis.

As for Cesar Ruiz himself, there's nothing really unique about him. He seems like another in a line of squatty, powerful, capable centers, who aren't going to do a whole lot to excite you. He's probably going to be a solid professional, I just wonder what kind of price tag you really want to pay for this type of player.

Nick Harris has some issues. I don't think he's all that impressive, physically. I don't see dominance out of him when I watch him interact with defensive players, and I thought those limitations were spotlighted a bit in the Senior Bowl. He's got some quickness to him, don't get me wrong. But to me he's going to be a big gamble.

I haven't even looked at Jake Hanson much, so...thanks. You've given me some homework. I will say that Calvin Throckmorton got some work at the Center position in the Senior Bowl and I have to say it was enough to have me intrigued. He clearly can't be trusted at tackle, so might as well see what he's got for center.

I did look into Zach Shackelford, and...I dunno if I can do it. He's humongous but doesn't have any quickness. If all you ask Shackelford to do is sit still and anchor while a guy tries to go straight through him, he'll be fine. Ask him to move left, right, forward, or backward...not so fine. For some systems he's totally wiped off the board. Other systems where they don't ask much of the pivot, could work.

I guess I've really got to update myself on Tyler Biadasz. I know he got taken apart a little when they played by Davon Hamilton, who is WAY underrated. And I never, ever, had him above Creed Humphrey, even while everyone else did. But I must have missed the bus that picked up all the people from Biadasz station and took them elsewhere, because I'm looking around and seeing tumbleweeds wondering where did everyone go, and why? Suddenly he sucks?

Last edited:
Biadasz's tape in 2019 just wasn't that good. He was exposed as uncoordinated and on the ground too much.

Hennessy looks to be the most athletic and moves easily, but I have some questions there about his ability to anchor.

Ruiz is a nice center - can play. But you're going to have to get him to play meaner. Won't finish a block at the second level when the opportunities to do so are there. Incredible power step to recover.

Cushenberry is just a beast. I like him as my top center.

Darryl Williams is the Senior I like at center.

In my opinion that's about all you have at center in this class.

I watched some of Ruiz recently and was not impressed at all. He will block air at the next level.

I would trust Matt Hennessy to anchor more than Lloyd Cushenberry.

I was just watching some of Hennessy's freshman film against Ed Oliver in his last year at Houston. That ability to shoot his hands so quickly off the snap is innate, he had it back then and it helped him stymie whatever pass rush Ed Oliver ever thought he was going to get on the freshman. Back then, Hennessy wasn't even as good with his feet off the snap as he is now.

He was savvy too. When Oliver tried to jump and knock down passes in the passing lane, Hennessy reacted instantly and shoved him back to the ground, made him pay for it.

I think the build is what makes us naturally fearful about Hennessy's anchor, which is why this reminds me so much of discussions about Joe Thuney back at NC State when I kept gushing over him. The build makes you think that Thuney's getting bullied around by a bigger, stronger, more explosive DL is always coming. But it never came. Watch, and watch, and watch some more. It never came. His ability to bow up his back and get control was too good. He's about to be the highest paid Guard in football.

I'm watching a snap right now in that same Houston-Temple game, after Ed Oliver went out of the game, and 6'4" & 293 lbs Nick Thurman lines face-up on the Center, breathing down his neck, and actually times the snap to get a jump on it. Hennessy has to snap the football before he can do a thing, and so Thurman is head-down, face and both hands plowing straight into Hennessy's pads before Hennessy can even get his hands back up from snapping the football (even as quick as Hennessy's hands are). By Hennessy's third step back, he bowed up like a f--king oak, and Thurman could go NO FURTHER.

Yeah I realize it's Nick Thurman and not Ed Oliver, but it was still hugely impressive for a freshman who is perceived as a mobile center prospect with potential anchor issues. He should not have been able to do what he just did in anchor on that play, if that's what he really was. Before Oliver went out of the game, Hennessy had been getting control of him in anchor before the help came. Again, impressive.

Hennessy is one of those guys I'll just put my name next to because I know he's going to play in the NFL and play pretty well.

We did out podcast last night and as an exercise we each signed 10 free agents and then conducted a mock draft. My final offensive line was:

Starters: LT Saahdiq Charles, LG Greg Robinson, OC Matt Hennessy, RG Netane Muti, RT Tristan Wirfs
Backups: G/T Jesse Davis, C/G Ben Garland, OT Cornelius Lucas

I will take that line into the Super Bowl all day.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm not a guru so it's nice to get you guys to comment on this. It seems like the guard class is even better than I thought. I know the OT's seems like a good a deep class. I guess the whole OL class is very solid this year which is great for us if we use the picks we have along with free agency to fix the line once and for all.

Biadasz's tape in 2019 just wasn't that good. He was exposed as uncoordinated and on the ground too much.

Hennessy looks to be the most athletic and moves easily, but I have some questions there about his ability to anchor.

Ruiz is a nice center - can play. But you're going to have to get him to play meaner. Won't finish a block at the second level when the opportunities to do so are there. Incredible power step to recover.

Cushenberry is just a beast. I like him as my top center.

Darryl Williams is the Senior I like at center.

In my opinion that's about all you have at center in this class.
Cushenberry at #56 would be perfect.
I am hopeful OL with 2 top 4 picks.

Keith Ismael could be a good later pick. Always looked good for San Diego State in those late night games. Battles square and smart. Surprisingly declared early so perhaps the rating was higher than I would have estimated. Seemingly could pay guard also.

Only problem is when I checked his SPARQ results coming out of high school the running and jumping numbers were really dreadful. That surprised me because he looks reasonably athletic.

I think Cushenberry, Hennessy, and Biadasz are all good Center prospects. Ruiz is also good, and I like his ability in pass pro the best of the group. His combination of size, balance, and quickness stands out. He's also a couple years younger than Cushenberry and Hennessy (don't know how old Biadasz is).

As I said, I think they're all good, and I'd take whichever is the least expensive - would guess Hennessy - but I'd rank them Ruiz, Cushenberry, Hennessy/Biadasz.

Back
Top Bottom