Will eight be enough in 2002 for Dolphins? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will eight be enough in 2002 for Dolphins?

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Will eight be enough in 2002 for Dolphins? - Eight-man front being explored
- about time that "defensive coordinator Jim Bates is making it a priority for his group to learn how to play with a safety close to the line of scrimmage. "
''I can't say how much we're going to use it, but I guarantee that it will be part of our game plan every week this season,'' Bates said. ``We tried to do some things last year to cheat it, but it really wasn't the true sense of playing with an eighth guy up there in the box.''

Considering the quality of the Dolphins backfield, it does sound like a plan.

The only problem is that our SS isn`t very strong. Seriously, Freeman lacks ideal size for a SS. I`m curious whether he`ll be good in run support. He is fast, but how will he handle the bigger backs.

So the Dolphins are going to mimic the Gregg Williams defense. Interesting.

Originally posted by Dolfan984
We aren't going to do it every down. Just when it is appropriate.

Yup for when Daryl gets hurt 2 weeks after proclaiming he's headed to the Pro Bowl again :)

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Yup for when Daryl gets hurt 2 weeks after proclaiming he's headed to the Pro Bowl again :)

Thats the key! If Daryl stays healthy are run d should be fine with basicly 3 DTs in the game. Daryl's health will also decide Zach's. I can't see many o-lineman getting out to block Zach with JT, Bowens, Chester, and DG on the line. On a running play they will have to hit DG with the OT and TE, hit Bowens with the G and C, that will leave Zach alone or with the FB. I like our chances in that match up.

Originally posted by Capt. Dick
The only problem is that our SS isn`t very strong. Seriously, Freeman lacks ideal size for a SS. I`m curious whether he`ll be good in run support. He is fast, but how will he handle the bigger backs.
I actually would prefer to see Brock be the guy that comes up in run support - not that he's a giant either. Last year, we basically had 2 FSs and no SS.

I think Brock is too valuable at FS to risk run support. He`s getting older,let him run around in the secondary and get about 8 int`s this year.

Originally posted by Capt. Dick
I think Brock is too valuable at FS to risk run support. He`s getting older,let him run around in the secondary and get about 8 int`s this year.
except that he's a great tackler - so is Freeman, but not proven.

I read an article in the Herald that said Freeman was the hardest hitter in the team.If the he can deliver a blow why wouldn't he be affective agaisnt the run.....

Back
Top Bottom