Will fuller will be rocking # 3 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will fuller will be rocking # 3

I don't like the new number rule changes.

All-Day-Ruckoff-Thanks-I-Hate-It-Christmas-Patch-Side-500x375.jpg

get off my lawn

From the standpoint of a viewer, the NFL had a very easy to understand number system. I have never met a fan who openly stated that they want a system that resembles NCAA football in any capacity. I don’t necessarily hate the change, but I have no idea what demand prompted it. I think it is kind of dumb to have WRs, RBs, TEs, LBs and DBs all wearing QB numbers, but that’s just me.

Whether or not you have heard someone advocate for a system that resembles HS and college is beside the point. The point is, it’s a trivial thing that doesn’t matter. Especially to fans watching the game.

This is just a case of fans being visually programmed. As pointed out earlier, receivers didn’t used to be eligible for numbers in the teens.

Does that change still bother you? Maybe you aren’t old enough to remember, IDK.

Have you heard fans complaining about the numbering systems for college? Most fans that follow the NFL follow college ball in some capacity.

It’s in no way “dumb” for players to wear these new numbers. It was actually short sighted the other way around. Limiting the options just wasn’t necessary.

Lastly, labeling 1-19 as “QB numbers” shows how much you’ve fallen into the visual programming rabbit hole. Besides, kickers wore those numbers too. Did that bother you?

Probably not. Because you’re used to it. And you’ll get used to this too. Just like how we’ve become used to all the changes in the game over the decades.

Remember when there were no BYE weeks? Remember when the league was run heavy, not pass happy? Remember when primetime games were only on Monday night? Remember when the clock always stopped when a player ran out of bounds? The list goes on and on.

This change makes makes a lot more sense than many of the other changes. And doesn’t negatively impact the performance on the field at all. And is the same system that’s in place in every other level of the sport.

That’s why I don’t get the negativity over it.

Whether or not you have heard someone advocate for a system that resembles HS and college is beside the point. The point is, it’s a trivial thing that doesn’t matter. Especially to fans watching the game.

This is just a case of fans being visually programmed. As pointed out earlier, receivers didn’t used to be eligible for numbers in the teens.

Does that change still bother you? Maybe you aren’t old enough to remember, IDK.

Have you heard fans complaining about the numbering systems for college? Most fans that follow the NFL follow college ball in some capacity.

It’s in no way “dumb” for players to wear these new numbers. It was actually short sighted the other way around. Limiting the options just wasn’t necessary.

Lastly, labeling 1-19 as “QB numbers” shows how much you’ve fallen into the visual programming rabbit hole. Besides, kickers wore those numbers too. Did that bother you?

Probably not. Because you’re used to it. And you’ll get used to this too. Just like how we’ve become used to all the changes in the game over the decades.

Remember when there were no BYE weeks? Remember when the league was run heavy, not pass happy? Remember when primetime games were only on Monday night? Remember when the clock always stopped when a player ran out of bounds? The list goes on and on.

This change makes makes a lot more sense than many of the other changes. And doesn’t negatively impact the performance on the field at all. And is the same system that’s in place in every other level of the sport.

I guess the part I find confusing is that they made the changes for skill positions, but kept OL/DL numbers exactly the same. For example, Phillips can wear 15 (his college number) despite DEs only being able to wear 50-79 and 90-99. Does that mean he always counts as a LB when he’s on the field? I understand in our system he’s technically an OLB, but if we switched to a base 4-3 and he was a DE could he keep his number? If WR/TE/RBs can wear 1-49 does that mean we can bring Phillips in on a trick play and he doesn’t have to report as an eligible receiver? Not that we would; it just seems like that rule in particular will get confusing.

Since it pisses off Brady I love the new number rule.

Hope every defense that faces him wears numbers 1-19.

It's just a little offsetting to me because it's different. But if you're a fan of the NFL you have to be used to the amount of changes every single year by now, especially the last 10 years or so.

Didn't they say something like the refs are going to be less lenient on taunting and td celebrations this year?

I’m curious as to what that confusion would be. The only thing the number changes do is maybe make it harder for the viewer to determine what position is on the field. But from the officials perspective, off the top of my head, the only time that matters is when you’re determining who the ineligible receivers are. But the OL numbers haven’t changed, so there’s no difference with that.
can't remember what brady said but he said something like "good luck" to the officials trying to figure out something. Not sure what that is.

I guess the part I find confusing is that they made the changes for skill positions, but kept OL/DL numbers exactly the same. For example, Phillips can wear 15 (his college number) despite DEs only being able to wear 50-79 and 90-99. Does that mean he always counts as a LB when he’s on the field? I understand in our system he’s technically an OLB, but if we switched to a base 4-3 and he was a DE could he keep his number? If WR/TE/RBs can wear 1-49 does that mean we can bring Phillips in on a trick play and he doesn’t have to report as an eligible receiver? Not that we would; it just seems like that rule in particular will get confusing.
That might be what Brady was talking about. for the refs to figure out who was down field and who's eligible?

Why does it matter to you what number a player wears?
Talk about a trivial thing to care enough about to dislike.

Have you ever watched or followed HS or college ball? There’s no difference. None.

I’ve never heard anybody complain about numbers when watching those sports. But somehow NFL players suddenly wearing the numbers they donned in HS and college is a problem.

I don’t get it.

At one time receivers couldn’t wear numbers in the teens. Now it’s common place and nobody complains about not liking it.

Same thing will happen with this change.
There are many that prefer position groups to be identified by number groups...as it has always been in the NFL!

i don't care enough to have feelings one way or the other. my eye is trained to prefer traditional numbers, as that's when i grew up and watched the most football. i'm sure to younger people it's not even a thing to see a dlineman wearing a single digit.

Very excited to see the skilled speed this offense will have on the field this season. From a spatial field distribution perspective we are going to be an entirely different offense compared to last year. We're going to spread every defense out.

It's not worth it. Some people just complain about everything.

Back
Top Bottom