Will Griese's shoulder be a problem? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Griese's shoulder be a problem?

EGDolfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Griese will be coming in for a physical tomorrow. Is anyone concerned that the Dolphins might nix the deal if Brian's shoulder is a problem?

Just asking...

Helluva time to bring this up!! We've been talking about this signing for days and no one has mentioned his shoulders.

There hasn't..

There hasn't been any speculation that there's some sort of injury like that in the mix, one that could nix a deal. No one has written any articles about Griese having nagging injuries that could effect trades. There's NO WAY anything like that is going to happen.

Honestly, I really don't know if the injury lingers. Many "experts" have said that that was the reason that he had a down year in 2002.

My thought was that because the Dolphin's medical staff has a history of being careful with checking injuries (with success...see Michael Thompson), that there might be a problem with Griese passing their physical.

I'm not really trying to start trouble...I am just inquiring with the masses!

Originally posted by EGDolfan
Griese will be coming in for a physical tomorrow. Is anyone concerned that the Dolphins might nix the deal if Brian's shoulder is a problem?

Just asking...

Yup it's a concern, and that's why I think that is the main reason he will not push for the starting job until mid-season 2003.

He has his non-throwing shoulder to worry about more so than his throwing shoulder. That was the latest shoulder that had surgery.

Griese has to prove he physically ready before they can think about opening up the spot for competition. I have no doubt now, because of the type of contract he signed they are possibly looking at Griese to be our QB of the future.

Oliver...

Our medical staff is second to none if theres a problem it wont end up hurting us and we'll just get akilli smith...im not gonna loose sleep over this

Originally posted by EGDolfan

Just asking...

EG, we told Lucas not to bother wasteing gas to come to QB camps and then flat out released the dufus. I think we knew something.
IMO, this delay in signing was just smoke to make the tampering charge look pointless.
He has already passed the physical and had several "looks" by others not on the Dolphins payroll. The rest is formality.

BB

Re: Re: Will Griese's shoulder be a problem?

Originally posted by bigbry

EG, we told Lucas not to bother wasteing gas to come to QB camps and then flat out released the dufus. I think we knew something.
IMO, this delay in signing was just smoke to make the tampering charge look pointless.
He has already passed the physical and had several "looks" by others not on the Dolphins payroll. The rest is formality.

BB

How can he have passed the physical if hes coming in on sunday to take it. :rolleyes:

If all goes according to plan, Griese will fly to Miami for a Sunday physical exam.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1564457.html

spider you better worry about your qbs plummer yeah he's a proven winner. ha-ha 95 yr old beurlien who lost 2 out of 3 starts last yr dont count the win when he came in for injured griese den was ahead 17-6 and on the 1 yd line ready to score again when brian left. and the one win against the cardinals ,now that was a good team to beat.
plummer looked good to. ha-ha
i'll take griese any day as my back up compared to your back up , or your starter.

From all reports he's been rehabing well in Denver. I also think that the fact he is coming in as a backup and not a guy expected to necessarily compete for a starting position in camp will lessen the criteria for his passing the physical. They guy who didn't pass and was signed by Seattle, was a guy we wanted to compete right away at LT and could not afford to bring him in if there was a chance he was not healthy.

I think the staff will evaluate him and share the info with Wanny and Rick and unless they think his arm is shot, it won't be a problem, even if he's not ready to go full speed this month. At least from the previous diagnosis (unless they missed something, which is always possible), it was not considered to be career threatening.

My greatest concern is his head. The fact that he's getting a new start and doesn't have the pressure of having to start or be the first to replace a legend, should help.

You might be right Da 'Fins...Griese might be under less scrutiny because he is a backup. In addition, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a deal in the latest contract agreement that if his shoulder is questionable, that the Dolphins can reduce the incentives package...this might be why we really haven't heard the details of the contract, because it is still in limbo, pending the physical.

As for his mental state, the Dolphins have a good locker-room atmosphere...look what it did for Ricky. That and the fact that Griese won't be starting, he can ease into becoming one of the guys instead of THE guy.

Unfortunately, I think BG's shoulders will be a continuing problem. Prior to his injuries BG would have been a clear upgrade to Fiedler, but since then BG appears to have lost some power. I don't have enough medical knowledge to know if BG will ever be able to regain his pre-injury strength but he hasn't had it the last two seasons. If he regains his form Miami has its QB of the present and future. If he plays like he has the last two seasons then BG is a one year backup. Worst case scenario: BG is an upgrade over Lucas.

If the shoulder is a problem there will be no deal, but there haven't really been any indications that the shoulder will be a problem, or that it won't be a problem. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom