Will Peyton Manning break Marino's records? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Peyton Manning break Marino's records?

Thundercracker

Practice Squad
Reaction score
after his first 6 seasons, manning is 2128 for 3383 with 24,885 passing yards and 167 TDs, 110 INT's

compared to Marinos first 6 seasons of 1866 for 3100 for 23,856 yards and 196 TD's, 103 INT's.

So far, Manning is on pace to break Marino's records for completions, attempts, and yards. but the question is, will he? what do you guys think?

depends alot on how much longer Harrison can play.

Depending on how much longer Brett Fahvra plays, Manning might not be after Marino's records. Most records obviously depend on health. Marino was relatively injury-free until he blew out his Achilles (spelling?) tendon. Even after that he came back with some productive seasons. I've got respect for Manning in that he plays through injuries (broken jaw being the main injury I remember). Let's just see how his body holds up.

When you say "on pace" though you're assuming 16 or 17 seasons. Most guys would agree thats pretty generous. Marino lasted a looong time, its one of the reasons he has all the records he does. Once upon a time I thought Drew Bledsoe was on pace to break Marino's records (he was), but not he's about 30 years old and Buffalo's already thinkin about replacing him in the draft this year. The age catches up quick for most guys. Brett Favre has been contemplating retirement the last 2 or 3 years, and he's only completed 13 seasons (12 of actually playing). Overall the record that I think will stand for a long time is the touchdowns...420 of them. In a 10 year career you would need to AVERAGE 42 a year to just tie him. In a 15 year career, by all means a hefty-sized career, you would need to AVERAGE 28 TDs a year to do it...and that means to have been starting all 15 years. Favre for instance, has started 12 of his 13 years. The closest guy I think will be Brett Favre in the end. I don't necessarily know that he'll be retiring after the 2004 season like some speculate. He just threw for 32 TDs this year, so if he has 3 more years like that he'll be close to the 420 TD mark. But that just proves how intangible Marino's records are...because the chances of Favre having 3 more freakin years of 30+ TDs are pretty astronomical yet Favre over his 13 year career has been about as good a QB as you'll ever find in NFL history.

I had the same thought, about that contract of his making it hard for them to keep enough talent around him.

Unless they get on a roll with draft picks who work out, I see talent leaving the Colts as soon as they hit RFA or FA status. Certainly the D will never be the main focus, as giving weapons to your franchise QB will be the concern. Why spend ALL that money on a QB and give him average or lesser talent to work with? :confused:

Not if Lorenzo Bromell plays against him twice a year.

Peyton will have no one to throw to in the near future so I dont see him passing marino

Manning will need some luck to stay in the league long enough to truly contend with defeating all of Dan's records.

Gotta give props where their due. I'm a fan of football as well as the dolphins. Their my first love, but there's other players I like to watch. Vick and moss because their just so damn explosive, and Favre and Manning. Both make excellend decisions, but Payton..he's just amazing for his age. I hope he doesn't break the records for Dan's sake, but right nwo he's the funnest QB to watch.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Overall the record that I think will stand for a long time is the touchdowns...420 of them. In a 10 year career you would need to AVERAGE 42 a year to just tie him. In a 15 year career, by all means a hefty-sized career, you would need to AVERAGE 28 TDs a year to do it...and that means to have been starting all 15 years. Favre for instance, has started 12 of his 13 years. The closest guy I think will be Brett Favre in the end. I don't necessarily know that he'll be retiring after the 2004 season like some speculate. He just threw for 32 TDs this year, so if he has 3 more years like that he'll be close to the 420 TD mark.

Actually Favre is currently only 74 TD's away(346). 3 years of 25 TD seasons will put him over Dan. Unfortunately if he plays for 3 more seasons, he will likely take it. :(

As for manning... well, like somebody else sad, It depends on how long Harrison plays. Marv plays a low contact style of play, so he may be around for a long time. Manning is the biggest threat to the greatest number of Marino's records.

He does have something Marino never had. A great RB to keep the defence honest. He can do play action all day and teams will bite cos James is back there. Everyone knew Marino was going up.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom