Will the D be vanilla this year? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will the D be vanilla this year?

scotgif

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I for one, hope that Wanny and Bates "open up" the D, so to speak, this year. For too long, we have been a "bend but don't break" type of D. We have some very good atheletes on defense, but, it just seems that at times they are handcuffed from being the best and most agressive that they can be.

I like the idea of "8 in the box". I would also love to see more blitzing than we normally do. We need to turn our LB's loose more than 2 or 3 times a game. They are all fast guys that can get to the QB. Our DB's are among the best in the business, but we need to get them some help by generating more pressure on the QB than we traditionally do.

That same old boring, lay back and make the tackle, and wait for the offense to turn the ball over stuff, just does not get it done anymore. Nowadays, you must be the agressor on defense to control the tone of the game.

Now, I am not calling for us to become the old Bear's 46 style D, but, I do want to see the agressiveness of our guys used to our advantadge, as opposed to laying back, and playing soft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scotgif................

Originally posted by scotgif
I for one, hope that Wanny and Bates "open up" the D, so to speak, this year. For too long, we have been a "bend but don't break" type of D. We have some very good atheletes on defense, but, it just seems that at times they are handcuffed from being the best and most agressive that they can be.

I like the idea of "8 in the box". I would also love to see more blitzing than we normally do. We need to turn our LB's loose more than 2 or 3 times a game. They are all fast guys that can get to the QB. Our DB's are among the best in the business, but we need to get them some help by generating more pressure on the QB than we traditionally do.

That same old boring, lay back and make the tackle, and wait for the offense to turn the ball over stuff, just does not get it done anymore. Nowadays, you must be the agressor on defense to control the tone of the game.

Now, I am not calling for us to become the old Bear's 46 style D, but, I do want to see the agressiveness of our guys used to our advantadge, as opposed to laying back, and playing soft.

I couldn't agree with you more.;)

Something I noticed last year was our D would come out of the gates storming, but would deflate like a balloon after the offense made a stupid turnover or would have a couple 3&out series. I could be wrong but I think that is why Dave went all out to get RW. If he can controll the ball and keep the chains moving like he is caplable of then our D should get the proper rest and motivation to play the whole game like a bunch of crazy dogs. Look at the 3 games where Miami was able to run the ball last year(NE, Indy, Buff) our d didn't give up more than 10 points in any of those games.

All I want to see is some blitzing. They can play their regular bend-but-don't-break defense all they want, if they blitz. It doesn't matter how good your corners are, if the QB has time he will hit the reciever(Kurt Warner). Our pass defense was 1 in the league lat year, and that was with QBs having all the time in the world. Imagine how good the pass D would be if the QBs didn't have as much time to react....

You don't need to imagine 2 years ago with Armstrong and JT accounting for 31 sacks by them selves our starters in the secondary had 22 ints. Last year with no preasure the same secondary had 11(maybe 12). If our d-line makes the QB hurry our secondary will capitalize.

The thing about that season was Brian Walker and Pat Surtain surprised people. No one though Walker would be that good, so they threw his way, and he got 7 picks. I can't remember how many Pat got, but he wasn't even a full-time starter the season before, so that is probably why he got passes thrown at him. Since Sam was usually guarding the number 1 receiver, he got passes thrown his way, but not too many(3 of his picks were the first game against Seattle). And Brock is Brock. Of course that pressure helped, but if the league knew how good they were, they would have seen nearly as many passes. Besides, we were number 1 vs the pass that year. With pressure on the QB, and if Chester and DG do their jobs, this may be the best D in the league next season.

Originally posted by scotgif

I know they are working on eight man fronts in case our DL struggles against the run, but as far as any changes I don't expect much. This type of "D" is Wanny's bread and butter and has proven very successful. I am with you though as I would like to see more plays as in the blitz, stunts, etc. There is some danger with playing like that. Kind of like, you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

:D :cool: :D

The only change I look forward to this year on defense is that Wanny will be more involved with the defensive decisions this year. I think that will help some. We'll see how it pans out.

Originally posted by FinaticalOne
The only change I look forward to this year on defense is that Wanny will be more involved with the defensive decisions this year. I think that will help some. We'll see how it pans out.

Yup everyone forgets just how good a DC Wanny was. If he's putting his input on the defense then I can feel good about that no matter how many of Bates toes he steps on.

Originally posted by BMarion31
The thing about that season was Brian Walker and Pat Surtain surprised people. No one though Walker would be that good, so they threw his way, and he got 7 picks. I can't remember how many Pat got, but he wasn't even a full-time starter the season before, so that is probably why he got passes thrown at him. Since Sam was usually guarding the number 1 receiver, he got passes thrown his way, but not too many(3 of his picks were the first game against Seattle). And Brock is Brock. Of course that pressure helped, but if the league knew how good they were, they would have seen nearly as many passes. Besides, we were number 1 vs the pass that year. With pressure on the QB, and if Chester and DG do their jobs, this may be the best D in the league next season.

In 2000, Surtain had 5 picks. Sam had 5 picks too, and 3 were against the Titans.

Well folks ....I hate to remind people WHY we were 1st in pass defense last year...We couldnt stop the run ! I am hopefull we will be better on d and blitz more ...make sam and pat earn those big bucks !! By the way madison dropped at least 3 sure interceptions last year ...that crap needs to stop! I am very worried about the d line again ... bowens has not been healthy for ages and dg? forget it ...backproblems are the end for a d-line player... weve wasted enough money on him and he needs to be replaced.period . Larry chester is coming off a badly broken leg and although he was a monster till then im not betting the bank on him ... To be honest im putting my money on the young guys ..D. bowens and A.ogunleye I like both these guys and hope they can bring it full time this year. Look for one to make a splash this yearand surprise alot of people.Also blitzing could be dangerous with freeman at safety ...he is not as experianced and not the tackler walker was .

Back
Top Bottom