Will we have any surprises come June 1st? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will we have any surprises come June 1st?

Gonk

Active Roster
Reaction score
Well, this offseason has been full of surprises. Why not have a couple more...

Do you think Wanny and crew will surprise everyone and release someone no one would've thought releasable? The only MAYBE we have right now is Arturo Freeman, and chances are he'll be sticking around to play FS after Marion leaves... so, we will have no cuts?

What would you guys do if we cut Surtain, Taylor, Madison, Chambers, or Fiedler? Is it possible?

No one is going to get cut. The only surprise I could see is Miami heavily pursuing a guy that is unexpectly cut, and is a need position (Deese for example). I'd also be surprised if Griese signs anywhere but here. Other than that, I expect a calm, predictable post-June 1......

June 1st will...

Not big a big floppin deal. Pretty much everybody is in O.K. Cap shape. I think the general consensus of who will be out there is all were going to see. Maybe a mid tier guy or two, but nobody of merit. ;)

If Wade Smith is playing as well as advertised thus far, I could see Perry getting the ax leaving our 8 olineman: Smith-Dixon-Ruddy-Nails-Wade & Jerman-Whitley-McKinney as depth. Having Dixon be so versatile helps the line out a lot in case of injury.

We will keep 9 OL for sure.

Ruddy and Perry will be gone next season and Jerman, Wade, and Nails will all be FA next year.

I think Provost makes the team to groom and protect in case of Wade leaving.

I have a sneaking suspicion someone in the secondary may be cut. Not any of the starter's but perhaps someone who has slipped on the depth chart after a dissapointing seaosn last year. Someone who's position has been filled with an outside veteran who has proe his worth. Now here is the kicker, which guy am talking about, Fletcher or Freeman?

Nobody is getting cut. June 1st isnt the same it use to be. Its easier to get guys to restructure a la Ruddy and Rodgers than to let them go to June 1st then cut them. There's no surprises anymore on June 1st. The guys who get cut are guys who either everyone knew was a June 1st cut possibility already, or someone who nobody gives a rats @ss about.

We are under the cap so there isn't a need to cut anyone. Now if a juicy FA gets cut elsewhere and we need money to go after them than someone may be in jeopardy.

I don't think there will be any cuts after June 1st. the next time you will see Miami release a player is when the mandatory roster cuts start to happen.

We've only carried 8 the past few years with one or two usually on the practice squad in case of injury. Like last year we had Dixon, Nails, Ruddy, Perry, Wade, McKinney, Spriggs, & Andrew with Jerman & Pierce on the practice squad & Smith on the IR.

We usually keep:

QB-3
RB-3
FB-2
WR-5
TE-4
OL-8

DE-5
DT-4
LB-6
CB-5
S-5

K-1
P-1

That's 52 with one spot to use where needed, & this year that player is KR Charlie Rogers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to keep receivers and claim them as TE's? We have so much young talent at receiver, why would we need 4 TE's?

Is it possible to keep receivers and claim them as TE's? We have so much young talent at receiver, why would we need 4 TE's?

We have McMichael, Battaglia, Lee, & then we have Perry who is the long snapper on kicks. I thought Perry was a decent TE back when Marino threw him the ball. I'd rather just keep 3 TEs, drop Battaglia, & use the extra spot on an olineman or receiver like you said.

The only possible one i see being cut for some strange reason would be Jamar Fletcher, but it would still surprise me if they did and theyd be better off trading for him...

Originally posted by SMadison29

We've only carried 8 the past few years with one or two usually on the practice squad in case of injury. Like last year we had Dixon, Nails, Ruddy, Perry, Wade, McKinney, Spriggs, & Andrew with Jerman & Pierce on the practice squad & Smith on the IR.

We usually keep:

QB-3
RB-3
FB-2
WR-5
TE-4
OL-8

DE-5
DT-4
LB-6
CB-5
S-5

K-1
P-1

That's 52 with one spot to use where needed, & this year that player is KR Charlie Rogers.

This is the only way to look at the roster - to put up all the #'s and see the reality. I have a spread sheet I use as a reference. There are two positions that could be reduced from previous years - DB (I believe there was a time we went with 9 last year) and TE (we could go with 3). This would free up an extra lineman.

Also, I would not guarantee Rogers spot. He was a free agent pickup, yes, but he's playing for the NFL minimum ($530,000), on a one year deal, so it's not like they thought he'd be a savior. With Baker and Newson playing well at WR and with their return experience they are gaining, I think there will be stiff competition. What Rogers has going against him is virtually zero experience at WR. For example, if he and Baker look even, you can kill two birds with one stone by keeping Baker - a 5th WR and return man in one.

Back
Top Bottom