Will We Tag Wilkins? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will We Tag Wilkins?

To be fair, you left off the 5 years of service he gave the team.

Ideally, if we knew we were not to resign him, we would have done a trade last year when the team had some contract leverage. Since the Dolphins were all in on 'win now', it did not happen.

The team gambled the leverage it had on him last year as an accepted risk for doing well in the post season. In the end it didn't work out.

While a 3rd rounder seems like paltry compensation for a proven player, it is what it is.
While I didn't mention it or the very good season he had, I do realize it's worth. It's a given. I just think those who are so ready to let him walk are kinda missing the boat here. It is a hard position to find a real force there, especially without a high draft choice there, and all to
often they don't justify the pick. You rarely, if ever find a difference maker in the 3rd round. Good points!

Don't expect much in return if Miami does happen to find a trade partner. Perhaps a 2nd plus another late round pick. He's 29 and looking for $100M plus.

In this draft? I'll take a 2nd haha.

If he's going to leave of course. If the opportunity is there, I would do it. I mean, if Miami could get a 2nd, somehow you may be able to get a guy like Sweat. Who knows.

I know its rare and you need 2 to tango. Well see

If he does get tagged, I think that's the obvious sign the intention is to trade him
I don't see Miami tagging him, just to come to am extension agreement.

I would prefer to extend him. But if he leaves, I would prefer something more then the end of 3rd round comp pick

I think one of the reasons Williams was traded for a 2nd was the fact that he was only counting as $600K against the cap last season and maybe Seattle felt they were close?

I hope you are right but I just can't see it happening personally.

I mean maybe but 2nd and a 5th is steep for a 1 year rental. Find it hard to believe a team wouldn’t give up say a mid 3rd for him.

What do I know though alot of people are saying Grier won’t tag him because he earned his right to free agency which sounds so stupid to me that Miami would lose assets because one guy played without a future contract lol

I think a tag and trade is what Grier wants to do No? At least get something for him if we can vs letting him walk. I would think the pick would have to trump any comp pick down the road but those are so quirky anyway. I just can't see us going to 24m/yr for him, just can't

The phins IMO shouldn't do w/ Wilkins what the Angels (MLB) did with Ohtani

Tag and trade might be best option. Would hate to get only a 3rd or 4th round comp pick.

One idea might be to trade Wilkins to a team picking in that top 12ish range? Wilkins and pick 21 for say pick 12 and an additional 3rd or 4th rounder.

Miami could get Bowers most likely in that scenario.

Don't expect much in return if Miami does happen to find a trade partner. Perhaps a 2nd plus another late round pick. He's 29 and looking for $100M plus.

A 2nd would be great...I don't think anyone would offer more than a 4th simply because of the contract demands.

Being 29 and looking to break the bank don’t go together.

If you put the transition tag on him you can allow him to negotiate with other teams, if he gets a bigger deal he can go if he doesn’t then 16 it is

Being 29 and looking to break the bank don’t go together.

If you put the transition tag on him you can allow him to negotiate with other teams, if he gets a bigger deal he can go if he doesn’t then 16 it is
Wouldn't that handcuff you to a large extent, as far as making plans and taking actions for, very possibly, an extended period of time during the most active portion of the offseason?

I mean how can you make decisions when that situation could go either way?

Wouldn't that handcuff you to a large extent, as far as making plans and taking actions for, very possibly, an extended period of time during the most active portion of the offseason?

I mean how can you make decisions when that situation could go either way?

Free agency starts in early March so your not gonna have to wait long if someone wants to sign Wilkins.

Look at it like a luxury if he takes the deal at 16 mill after not finding his deal elsewhere.

you’re gonna lose him because someone will give him more than that, most likely.

Free agency starts in early March so your not gonna have to wait long if someone wants to sign Wilkins.

Look at it like a luxury if he takes the deal at 16 mill after not finding his deal elsewhere.

you’re gonna lose him because someone will give him more than that, most likely.
Except that he isn't obligated to accept the first offer he gets. He and his agent are looking for a big score. He will have interest from multiple teams. There will be negotiations and bidding. He may want to wait for others at his position to sign if he thinks it's to his advantage. For all I know he might drag it out for spite.

Your suggestion is not silly, I don't see it, though

Except that he isn't obligated to accept the first offer he gets. He and his agent are looking for a big score. He will have interest from multiple teams. There will be negotiations and bidding. He may want to wait for others at his position to sign if he thinks it's to his advantage. For all I know he might drag it out for spite.

Your suggestion is not silly, I don't see it, though
usually the big fishes out there other teams have targeted before it begins. They usually fly off the board quickly because there is a period where teams can reach out before free agency starts

Back
Top Bottom