Winning against GOOD opposition... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Winning against GOOD opposition...

Coaching and changing up the schemes will only take you so far though. At some point, the talent that is on the field determines what happens. In 2000, this defense dominated with pretty much the same players + Trace Armstrong. In 2001, the lack of Trace hurt, but the injuries this team suffered defensively hurt a lot as well.

Jim Bates has caught too much flack over this. He should have adjusted to bring the safeties up when our front seven was riddled by injuries. In 2000, we could stop the run with our front seven without having to march a safety up.

There is some credence that can be given to the idea that we need to look at the players we have playing in the front seven rather than blasting a coach that was getting some head coaching interest in the offseason.

Easy answer...

... as GOOD as our D is because the Dolphins rushing attack has been lacking, even back in 2000 they end up spending too much time on the field.

For this D to play at a true Championship level they need a rushing attack that will allow them to stay off of the field.

Our D is a small yet a fast D, it can't play at a Championship level when it is constantly on the field. They will wear down quicker than your AVG D, because of their lack of size.

When the Dolphins get their rushing attack going everyone is going to be shocked to see how well this D can play.

Oliver...

Like someone on the DT board said, The defense will be able to play more aggressive and be able to attack more because the offense will be able to move and control the ball better.

Play action will be a huge part of the game plan this year.

Hellion

Ican't wait!

Originally posted by Hellion
Like someone on the DT board said, The defense will be able to play more aggressive and be able to attack more because the offense will be able to move and control the ball better.

Play action will be a huge part of the game plan this year.

Hellion

... can you imagine how HUGE of a STAR Chris Chambers is going to become with the type of passing attack that is going to thrive because of our GOOD rushing attack?

Man I wish it was August already, finally this team and their philosiphy will be realised.

Oliver...

KB I think...

Originally posted by KB21
Coaching and changing up the schemes will only take you so far though. At some point, the talent that is on the field determines what happens. In 2000, this defense dominated with pretty much the same players + Trace Armstrong. In 2001, the lack of Trace hurt, but the injuries this team suffered defensively hurt a lot as well.

Jim Bates has caught too much flack over this. He should have adjusted to bring the safeties up when our front seven was riddled by injuries. In 2000, we could stop the run with our front seven without having to march a safety up.

There is some credence that can be given to the idea that we need to look at the players we have playing in the front seven rather than blasting a coach that was getting some head coaching interest in the offseason.

... Wanny had more to do with the lack of adjustment on the D side than Bates. I have no eveidence to support this, but it seems to me Wanny would be less willing to let someone mess with his D seeing as how is a D guy himself.

Hopefully after how this last season ended Wanny will wake up.

Oliver...

Dave is deffinitly as much to blame. Dave is the true d-cordinator, and his philosaphy for d sucks. It was great in the beginning of the '90s, but know there are just to many 350lb o-lineman that can run under a 5 second 40. Smaller and quicker is not getting it done like it once did. Besides the size issue his scheme is just plain horrible. It is way to Vanilla. For example he said that he was set on blitzing more this season, so what did he do? He added one blitz package, he added the nickel blitz with Cousins, thats it. I mean change it up for christ sakes. The only thing the o-line had to be aware of on passing downs was to watch for a blitz from either the nickel or the MLB. Watch teams like New England or Pittsburgh, every member of their d will blitz at a different time of the game. The bottom line is the o-cordinators are geniuses these days if you show them the same scheme every week no matter how much talent you have on d they will figure a way to exploit it.

Sorry you lost me...

Originally posted by Dajesus
Dave is deffinitly as much to blame. Dave is the true d-cordinator, and his philosaphy for d sucks. It was great in the beginning of the '90s, but know there are just to many 350lb o-lineman that can run under a 5 second 40. Smaller and quicker is not getting it done like it once did. Besides the size issue his scheme is just plain horrible. It is way to Vanilla. For example he said that he was set on blitzing more this season, so what did he do? He added one blitz package, he added the nickel blitz with Cousins, thats it. I mean change it up for christ sakes. The only thing the o-line had to be aware of on passing downs was to watch for a blitz from either the nickel or the MLB. Watch teams like New England or Pittsburgh, every member of their d will blitz at a different time of the game. The bottom line is the o-cordinators are geniuses these days if you show them the same scheme every week no matter how much talent you have on d they will figure a way to exploit it.

... when you started using the word "horrible" to describe our D.

Oliver...

Dolphins defense horrible? Ummm, #5 in the league overall last year, #1 in pass defense. Top 5 defense for the past 4 years straight. Maybe it's just me; perhaps I've lost my mind. Somehow though, that doesn't sound horrible to me. I don't know though, could be I'm just loony. :rolleyes: :confused:

I think we're discussing how the coaching on D...

...could step up that little bit to help us get to the next level, not whether we have a good or lousy D. We have a great D. It's just whether we are using it to it's potential.

The thread started by comparing Bill Bellichick's strategy against the Rams, to suggest that more inventive use of the same personnel might get that extra 10% when we need it most.

I agree with the other posters who suggest keeping the D cocooned on the sideline with a running clock-controlling offense will make some difference. Go Ricky:goof:

But I think there are many things that contributed to the Pats "overachievement" last season and in this league imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Every team does it. Parity in the league makes it necessary to look at it from all angles.

If you have a simple solution for the problem, it wont work, IMHO. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom